Subaru Outback Forums banner

3601 - 3620 of 3694 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Not sure on the factory one - you could probably call them and ask - but I had great experiences using the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic in the past and the 303 Graphene Coating on my Forester. I haven't done anything to my Outback yet since it's winter and I'm waiting for Spring temperatures.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
I don't think it's a factory coating - large panels have plastic on them for transport and the dealer probably uses a spray detailer.

If you don't already have the new spray stuff this would be a good time to get them. With so much black plastic cladding you probably want a product that can be used on the whole car without worrying about getting white residue on the plastic.

A spray detailer can be used on almost-clean surfaces to just get the dust off and give it some protection but if your car is covered with dirt it should be properly washed or if because of winter that's not practical there's a thing called rinseless wash that I use, Optimum No Rinse.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
+1 for ONR. I use it for touch-ups (bird poop) and such after hitting it with a spray bottle of water.

I found a coin-op DIY car wash near my work, so I've been trying to get there at least once a week during the winter to get the salt off. Nothing's more fun than playing beat the clock with 4 minutes of time. Ready, GO!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Added a flasher module (right arrow in pic below) so the high mounted third brake light flashes for a couple of seconds when the brake lights come on. Easy install and no error messages.

One trim panel to remove from the rear hatch and the third brake light connecter was right there (left arrow in pic below).

Just unplugged the connector, used t-taps to connect the wires and that was it. Done before the wife knew I was up to anything on her car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Added a flasher module (right arrow in pic below) so the high mounted third brake light flashes for a couple of seconds when the brake lights come on. Easy install and no error messages.

One trim panel to remove from the rear hatch and the third brake light connecter was right there (left arrow in pic below).

Just unplugged the connector, used t-taps to connect the wires and that was it. Done before the wife knew I was up to anything on her car.

View attachment 504202
I've thought about getting something like this, but I've found driving behind a car with one in stop and go traffic is extremely distracting.
Is it able to disable the flash when under a certain speed or de-acceleration threshold?
I'd love something like this if it had an accelerometer or at least a disable setting.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've thought about getting something like this, but I've found driving behind a car with one in stop and go traffic is extremely distracting.
Is it able to disable the flash when under a certain speed or de-acceleration threshold?
I'd love something like this if it had an accelerometer or at least a disable setting.

Thoughts?
Nope, it has no speed sensitive sensor.

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited - Ice Silver
183 Posts
Since California apparently doesn't know what Winter means, I'm going to wash mine!
We know what winter is in California, We watch it on TV every year :cool: We even have 4 seasons, Earthquake, Fire, Flood, and Drought

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
9 Posts
Got one of these....

2 big box stores won't touch it since it is close to the wall of the tire. Gonna try a tire store and see if they can possibly fix it. If not, debating if I should try to patch it and use it as my spare.
Currently using my onyx full size spare. Super aggravating since I only have 2500ish miles on the car.

Also got a car wash to try to calm my nerves.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
I agree with the plan to patch it and use it as a spare. Within the first couple thousand miles I also got a screw in my tire but it was not as close to the shoulder and was repaired.

When the time comes to change all 4 tires to new ones you can take an unpatched tire with the most amount of tread left and use that as the spare if the patched tire isn't holding pressure.

As a side note I hadn't checked the tire pressure on my Honda's space saver spare in years. Yesterday I checked it. It's supposed to be 60 pounds and it was 15.

·
Registered
2020 Limited Magnetite Grey
65 Posts
Nice. Where did you find those at? Thanks
As a followup, I put them on the car today. The reflectors pop out very easily from the bumper. I took them inside, cleaned them and put the decals on, dry method, just eyeballing placement. I let the reflector sit in a sunny window to help it adhere. After letting them cool down, I pulled the clear covering off from bottom to top direction. Not my best work, but for $9, I'm happy with the results. They offered an additional set for an extra $3 at time of original purchase. Why not have a spare if it goes on bad or tears later on?? Thanks to GreenMachineDriver for the link!!

Attachments

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
101 Posts
As a followup, I put them on the car today. The reflectors pop out very easily from the bumper. I took them inside, cleaned them and put the decals on, dry method, just eyeballing placement. I let the reflector sit in a sunny window to help it adhere. After letting them cool down, I pulled the clear covering off from bottom to top direction. Not my best work, but for $9, I'm happy with the results. They offered an additional set for an extra $3 at time of original purchase. Why not have a spare if it goes on bad or tears later on?? Thanks to GreenMachineDriver for the link!!
I got mine in the mail this week. Was going to stick them on in the spring, never even thought of popping off the reflectors. Is it just push in and they pop off or is there more to it? I guess I am asking for the how to for this. (I am a sleep deprived baby daddy who's brain is not fully functional right now).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Took my OB into dealer for the WRH-20 recall fix. I had never noticed the problem as stated in he recall (centre display going blank while reversing can cause control module (CCM) to continuously reboot and cause rear camera view to disappear). The fix took less than 2 hours and included putting the new AutoStopStart button on the main screen where it should have been from day one. New software according to the work order is ver 42-380.
The system startup is noticeably faster now and seems quicker to respond to slide functions.
25D06A96-2E82-4A7B-9599-70F625621864.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 Limited Magnetite Grey
65 Posts
I got mine in the mail this week. Was going to stick them on in the spring, never even thought of popping off the reflectors. Is it just push in and they pop off or is there more to it? I guess I am asking for the how to for this. (I am a sleep deprived baby daddy who's brain is not fully functional right now).
If you lookup behind the bumper, there’s two thumb size plastic ”clips” holding them in. If you push slightly in and up from the front while pushing the lower clip from the back it kinda pops out. It really was pretty easy to remove them. Wipe them clean, then take a nap!! Much easier job with them out. Thanks again for the link.

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
101 Posts
If you lookup behind the bumper, there’s two thumb size plastic ”clips” holding them in. If you push slightly in and up from the front while pushing the lower clip from the back it kinda pops out. It really was pretty easy to remove them. Wipe them clean, then take a nap!! Much easier job with them out. Thanks again for the link.
Awesome adding this todo to the weekend list of activities. Thanks!

3601 - 3620 of 3694 Posts