3641 - 3660 of 3694 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
656 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's so easy to do I wonder if we could set up regional trans-mount-insert-fest meetings where we can do a dozen cars in 1 hour. Someone just needs to bring ramp stands and a floor jack and it can be done in a parking lot with no tools (or you can remove heat shield no biggie).
I have a very occasional shudder from a dead stop under harder than normal acceleration that I've thought feels like a mount issue. It's not frequent enough that it's a big concern but was curious if this is common and if this mount might reduce it.

More directly, I've looked at the posts on this insert and would pull the trigger in a heartbeat if I had some way to install it. I haven't done serious mechanical work on a car in years and don't have ramps or a floor jack, and since my garage is already completely overtaken by my woodshop, I have no place to put them. I'd happily travel a reasonable distance from Indy for some help getting it done.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
congrats!

specifically about the nameless strut bar, keep in mind that there seems to be about a month lead time on them. Maybe things have changed but itd be good to check with them before heading there and expecting to get one.
Good info, thanks. I will call them Monday morning and set it up.

·
Registered
'21 Onyx Ice Metallic Silver
66 Posts
Finally got my Weathertechs delivered. They fit and look great! Also did the first oil change. Holy crap, I’ve never had a vehicle that was so easy - not one drop spilled. Installed Fumoto drain valve.

Just drove to the mountains and will be throwing down some snowboard carves at Kirkwood tomorrow. Yeeeeew!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
149 Posts
Well, it was the PERFECT Winter's Day yesterday. About 12 inches of good snow to go sledding on, so I pulled out the 60 year old sled, and the 40 year old toboggan, rounded up a crew of the grandkids and took them Sledding on a pretty safe hill near where we live. Ya know it's Upstate NY because someone set of their tailgating grill and was selling Hot Dogs too! Of course we had fresh Hot Chocolate for the crew.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It's so easy to do I wonder if we could set up regional trans-mount-insert-fest meetings where we can do a dozen cars in 1 hour. Someone just needs to bring ramp stands and a floor jack and it can be done in a parking lot with no tools (or you can remove heat shield no biggie).
That sounds cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
congrats!

specifically about the nameless strut bar, keep in mind that there seems to be about a month lead time on them. Maybe things have changed but itd be good to check with them before heading there and expecting to get one.
I ordered my STB for my 2021 Touring XT on 2/10 and it shipped just over a week later. Waiting for it now.

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
373 Posts
Can you tell me what those ramps are that you are using?
Sorry for the delay - Ramps - RhinoGear 11909 RhinoRamps Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 12,000lb. GVW Capacity)

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT - Touring - Autumn Green
7 Posts
Yesterday night I installed the Perrin Pitch Stop mount that everyone else seems to have and it really blows my mind how much it changes the way this car is set up. You can really feel it when you start your car for the first time it's installed and the engine doesn't shake around on startup. I didn't want to remove my TMIC on install so this is what I did to get access. Unfortunately this method required me to remove my strut bar.

Here is a comparison image and here it is installed:

I also installed the CKE Transmission Mount Insert (Soft). I had huge problems trying to put it in yesterday while the car was on my Quickjack because it became harder to work around the car and get a jack underneath. Retried again today after doing some research. If anyone has problems trying to insert their CKE Transmission Mount Insert then try these steps:

Use ramps and bring a floor jack or a bottle jack. Quickjacks will reduce the space that you have to work with (can't enter from the side)

1. Remove this nut in the middle of the transmission mount, the bolt will stay. (14mm)

2. Jack the transmission up slightly, you will see the bolt from step 1 move. Don't go too crazy with the jack; remember, you are not lifting the car, you are just supporting and lifting the transmission to relieve pressure on the stock mount.

3. Grease up the insert and push it in from the firewall side towards the engine (no photos because I needed two hands).

4. Re-install the nut holding the centre bolt in place. Torque to factory spec (~50ft/lb but I could be wrong).

These two parts really change the way the car feels. I didn't believe it would be so different, but you can really feel the results.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx
148 Posts
Yesterday night I installed the Perrin Pitch Stop mount that everyone else seems to have and it really blows my mind how much it changes the way this car is set up. You can really feel it when you start your car for the first time it's installed and the engine doesn't shake around on startup. I didn't want to remove my TMIC on install so this is what I did to get access. Unfortunately this method required me to remove my strut bar.
View attachment 504611

Here is a comparison image and here it is installed:
View attachment 504612 View attachment 504613

I also installed the CKE Transmission Mount Insert (Soft). I had huge problems trying to put it in yesterday while the car was on my Quickjack because it became harder to work around the car and get a jack underneath. Retried again today after doing some research. If anyone has problems trying to insert their CKE Transmission Mount Insert then try these steps:

Use ramps and bring a floor jack or a bottle jack. Quickjacks will reduce the space that you have to work with (can't enter from the side)
View attachment 504616
1. Remove this nut in the middle of the transmission mount, the bolt will stay. (14mm)
View attachment 504615

2. Jack the transmission up slightly, you will see the bolt from step 1 move. Don't go too crazy with the jack; remember, you are not lifting the car, you are just supporting and lifting the transmission to relieve pressure on the stock mount.
View attachment 504617

3. Grease up the insert and push it in from the firewall side towards the engine (no photos because I needed two hands).

4. Re-install the nut holding the centre bolt in place. Torque to factory spec (~50ft/lb but I could be wrong).

These two parts really change the way the car feels. I didn't believe it would be so different, but you can really feel the results.
great info!

Can you explain what was removed, and left on, to be able to tilt the intercooler up like that?

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT - Touring - Autumn Green
7 Posts
great info!

Can you explain what was removed, and left on, to be able to tilt the intercooler up like that?
If you don't have a Strut Tower Bar, then all you need to remove is the two bolts holding it in place on the left and right, and the two bolts securing the part where the intercooler meets the intake (near the centre). Then, the whole thing rotates up.

Quick edit to add a photo:'

Ignore the top right blue arrow, it's supposed to be green. Green arrows are the main bolts, blue ones are optional

·
Registered
7 Posts
I replaced the tweeters in my Onyx. I just learned I used the wrong part. There is a specific part for 2020 Outback. Anyways, the install was easy and the results dramatic. Best $100 mod ever. I am having the dealer install a bunch of accessories on Wednesday including the Rockford Fosgate system. In addition to these tweeters, I am replacing all of the side speakers including the new ones that come with the RF kit. I will also be installing Dynamat in the doors. I will document that separately.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,675 Posts
The Kicker tweeter is the best one. The 2020 part is the one you took out - it's an accessory for the Base trim that doesn't have any tweeters at all. There's a whole thread about using those exact Kicker tweeters that you installed and it does go well with the RF system you're having installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Today, I discovered that in addition to tilting, my steering wheel also telescopes. I was telling my wife how much I love my car (2020 Touring XT) but felt the wheel was too far away when I had my seat where it felt comfortable. And I told her how I had a 1966 Chevy Corvair once that had a telescoping steering wheel and how nice it was. She said she thought the Outback had that and I said I thought it didn't, but I'd check. So I did and sure enough, it telescopes!! Now my beautiful car fits me even better. I was expecting telescoping to be different lever from the tilt, but it's the same one. I know, I know, everyone but me knows this already - but I was happy with my discovery.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Today, I discovered that in addition to tilting, my steering wheel also telescopes. I was telling my wife how much I love my car (2020 Touring XT) but felt the wheel was too far away when I had my seat where it felt comfortable. And I told her how I had a 1966 Chevy Corvair once that had a telescoping steering wheel and how nice it was. She said she thought the Outback had that and I said I thought it didn't, but I'd check. So I did and sure enough, it telescopes!! Now my beautiful car fits me even better. I was expecting telescoping to be different lever from the tilt, but it's the same one. I know, I know, everyone but me knows this already - but I was happy with my discovery.
:lol: this is why they have an owners manual. :)

3641 - 3660 of 3694 Posts