Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

4421 - 4440 of 4496 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,612 Posts
I've used Tire Rack 30 years ago to order tires several times and never had a problem with them but this is the first time I'm getting wheels from them.

Just to clarify - the delay in my getting OZ wheels is supposedly because there are delays from the factory in Italy and Tire Rack keeps giving me different estimated dates when they will arrive to their warehouse so it's not like they are in stock and refusing to ship.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
68 Posts
Today, my new much firmer springs arrived. This is hopefully the second to last item needed for my lowered Outback.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Still continuing to troubleshoot the blank TPMS values. I am approaching this from various angles, but in the interest of science/logic, I am only making one change at a time to see if it has any effect.

First, I read the useful TechTips article that @rfuree11 posted from the April 2020 bulletin. Here's a link to a thread I've been following: TPMS not displaying pressures

This seems to happen from time to time with the sensors that use the new 433 Mhz band, which also happens to be the same frequency that the key fobs work off of. Unfortunately, with the keyless push start, I don't think I'd be able to disable the proximity function and have the car operate. This issue also seems to be affecting Foresters and other sensors that show individual pressures.

I had a sensor replaced when I was in for an oil change about a month ago. For about a week or two, everything worked normally. Now, I have the blank values again. My local service department is "just" inconvenient enough that I don't want to make this a special trip, but I may do that, work schedule permitting. Last time it was in there, it took about 2 hours and about 30-40 miles of the tech driving the car to diagnose, isolate, and repair the problem, then confirm the fix.

About a week or two ago, I happened to disconnect and reconnect my autostop eliminator module and the TPMS values started working again and continued working for about another 2 weeks before it reverted back to the blank values. This could be coincidence, but is part of my troubleshooting.

There is a sentence in the TechTIPS letter that suggests 12V adapters for charging could be a problem: "NOTE: Technician preliminary checks should include inspection of customer accessories that may cause interference with the system and proper diagnosis. These accessories may include but are not limited to: USB converter to 12V power port, USB cables, mylar blankets and metallic sun shades. "

So, I will disconnect all my USB cables and see what happens. I do have a 12V port in the center console that I will also remove.

My next steps today will include reducing the tire pressure in all tires to 30 psi to help "wake up" the sensors and see if a TPMS warning light comes on the dashboard. If not, this is a safety issue as new vehicles are required to have TPMS. If it does wake them up again, I'll refill them to the placard 35/33 cold.

After that, I will try to disconnect the ASE again and see if anything changes. I will probably let this run for a few days without it connected to see if there is any change in the values, and then if it is working normally, reconnect it again to see if it fails.

If there are no changes, I will bring it back to the dealer and request that the remaining 4 (including the spare) TPMS sensors are replaced under warranty to avoid followup trips for the same issue, but that would be for convenience, and would be satisfied with just changing any that aren't working properly.

Will report back with findings...

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
16 Posts
Still continuing to troubleshoot the blank TPMS values. I am approaching this from various angles, but in the interest of science/logic, I am only making one change at a time to see if it has any effect.

First, I read the useful TechTips article that @rfuree11 posted from the April 2020 bulletin. Here's a link to a thread I've been following: TPMS not displaying pressures

This seems to happen from time to time with the sensors that use the new 433 Mhz band, which also happens to be the same frequency that the key fobs work off of. Unfortunately, with the keyless push start, I don't think I'd be able to disable the proximity function and have the car operate. This issue also seems to be affecting Foresters and other sensors that show individual pressures.

I had a sensor replaced when I was in for an oil change about a month ago. For about a week or two, everything worked normally. Now, I have the blank values again. My local service department is "just" inconvenient enough that I don't want to make this a special trip, but I may do that, work schedule permitting. Last time it was in there, it took about 2 hours and about 30-40 miles of the tech driving the car to diagnose, isolate, and repair the problem, then confirm the fix.

About a week or two ago, I happened to disconnect and reconnect my autostop eliminator module and the TPMS values started working again and continued working for about another 2 weeks before it reverted back to the blank values. This could be coincidence, but is part of my troubleshooting.

There is a sentence in the TechTIPS letter that suggests 12V adapters for charging could be a problem: "NOTE: Technician preliminary checks should include inspection of customer accessories that may cause interference with the system and proper diagnosis. These accessories may include but are not limited to: USB converter to 12V power port, USB cables, mylar blankets and metallic sun shades. "

So, I will disconnect all my USB cables and see what happens. I do have a 12V port in the center console that I will also remove.

My next steps today will include reducing the tire pressure in all tires to 30 psi to help "wake up" the sensors and see if a TPMS warning light comes on the dashboard. If not, this is a safety issue as new vehicles are required to have TPMS. If it does wake them up again, I'll refill them to the placard 35/33 cold.

After that, I will try to disconnect the ASE again and see if anything changes. I will probably let this run for a few days without it connected to see if there is any change in the values, and then if it is working normally, reconnect it again to see if it fails.

If there are no changes, I will bring it back to the dealer and request that the remaining 4 (including the spare) TPMS sensors are replaced under warranty to avoid followup trips for the same issue, but that would be for convenience, and would be satisfied with just changing any that aren't working properly.

So I use: Viecar 4.0 Bluetooth for iOS/Android OBD2 Bluetooth Diagnostic Scanner Tool for Multi-Brands with Car HUD Display along with Car Scanner app to reset error codes. It will reset the TPMS. Have had the blank values as well but this seems to reset the issue. Think the Viecar was $23.99 and free app. George.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT Abyss Blue Pearl
355 Posts
Watched the wife drive off to her 20th to last day of work and it occurred to me that I haven't even driven it yet! Goes to the detailer for Jade Green Ceramic coating this evening.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
568 Posts
Gave the XT its first wash and used Turtle Flex Wax as the drying aid. Water really beading in the rain this morning. (y)
I hate to be the guy that tells you you're doing it wrong, but you're doing it wrong, at least in the wrong order.

Turtle Wax Graphene Flex Wax is an outstanding product and I learned a couple of things doing it the right way. First of all, you need very very little of the product which means that 23 ounce bottle is going to last a long time. I learned that by watching a review after I put in far too much effort because I used too much product. That review is posted below.

The way that you used it as a drying aid is fine but you cannot do it that way on its first use. The first use must be on freshly-washed dry surface. Once you've done it that way you are clear to use it as a drying aid or even sprayed on and then immediately rinse it off although once again it needs very very little product for that process.

I have used the product three times this season and it is incredibly resilient and because it does not have SiO2 it is not anywhere near as fussy as a ceramic. I still use a topper but the product is so good at protecting it's not necessary. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I picked up the XT 2 weeks ago, I detailed it and put on a coat of the Turtle max wax. This weekend was the first routine maintenance wash when I used Flex as the drying aid.
I should have specified that the XT already had a base coat of max wax. ;)

Water beaded this morning as if it had been sprinkled on a hot griddle. (y)

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Autumn Green
171 Posts
I just got back from a couple of weeks in the southwest (Nevada, Utah, New Mexico and western Colorado). 3700 miles and the Outback was fantastic. We camped (tent and in the back of the car), stayed at hotels and were also fortunate enough to stay at an Earthship in Taos.

Near Little Wild Horse Canyon Trail UT

Our campsite at Goosenecks State Park UT.

We slept in the car that night with this being the view out the window the next morning. The window tents were fantastic at keeping the car comfortable and bug free.

The next day was Valley of the Gods and the Moki Dugway.

And for all you Tool fans out there, here's what the one sticker (which is normally black) on my car looked like caked in Utah dirt...

Overall, an awesome trip. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That looks like a great trip! The wife and I head out west every year. We usually head to Moab or Farmington as our base and then do photography for 1-2 weeks. The wife gets the side benefit of some new pieces of silver jewelry. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Autumn Green
171 Posts
It was a great trip! We went through Moab on our way home and it was an absolute zoo so we pressed on. I'll remember the silver jewelry tip for the next go around :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
One neat location is Bluff Fort which is between Blanding and Mexican Hat. Very nice visitor center. They have a movie of how the first settlers arrive. Amazing story. The locals can also tell you about great photo locations....etc.

4421 - 4440 of 4496 Posts