Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1637 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Drove my Onyx up to the Canada side of Lake Erie over the weekend for a couple nights of camping. The drive over the 500 miles was fantastic. Smooth and very comfortable. Eyesight worked as expected and was a bit more responsive and natural than my '17 Forester. I averaged 29.1 mpg over the trip. I really like the Startex seats. Soft and comfortable. I think they will hold up, but time will tell. The head unit worked as expected despite the limited size of the CarPlay screen and the standard six speaker sound system sounded pretty nice. All in all, a great first 1000 total miles.

IMG_3790.JPG

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
338 Posts
I just got home from a 450 mile trip in my 2020 Outback base. Here are my perceptions:
The fuel economy is pretty good. I averaged over 33 MPG -including some stop and go driving.
The polished/black aluminum wheels on the Base and Premium models is shiny and attractive.
The basic instrumentation (speedometer, tachometer, fuel, coolant temp gauge) is very clear and legible.
The adaptive cruise control does what you would expect and the resume speed function can be set for gradual acceleration instead of an abrupt hard throttle application.
I love the heads up display for the lane departure warning. You can keep your eyes on the road instead of having to look down at the instrument panel to see what the alert is.
Interior is finished nicely, with a lot of soft touch materials
Dislikes:
The Auto Stop/Start is annoying. Not just in traffic, but also when I go to park the vehicle - The engine shuts off immediately when I come to a stop and then when I shift into Park, it restarts 1 second before I switch off the engine. What a STUPID system. Yes I know I can disable the auto start/stop, but I must do that every time I turn the ignition on, and I must go through a menu system to temporarily disable the system. This may cause me to discard this vehicle too quickly.
The black cladding on the front an rear bumpers is too extensive and it looks cheap.
The Base model twin screen infotainment displays require taking your eyes off the road to operate. Real buttons would be better. There is no way to back out of some menus without shutting off the system.
The radio I can ignore, but the climate control settings are too complicated and, again require you to take your eyes off the road. One saving grace: there is a one touch hard button that will turn on the front window defogger at full blast to quickly clear a fogged up windshield.
I find the driver's seat to be uncomfortable for long trips. The Base model does not have a power seat, and there is no lumbar adjustment.
On part of my trip The Yokohama AVID GT tires seemed to cause the Outback wander in my lane even with the auto lane centering engaged. I don't know if it was the road surface or a cross wing that caused this.
Thanks for an honest review.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
Drove my Onyx up to the Canada side of Lake Erie over the weekend for a couple nights of camping. The drive over the 500 miles was fantastic. Smooth and very comfortable. Eyesight worked as expected and was a bit more responsive and natural than my '17 Forester. I averaged 29.1 mpg over the trip. I really like the Startex seats. Soft and comfortable. I think they will hold up, but time will tell. The head unit worked as expected despite the limited size of the CarPlay screen and the standard six speaker sound system sounded pretty nice. All in all, a great first 1000 total miles.

View attachment 472097
Delighted to hear of your great gas mileage!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed my Titan Rod Vault from Denver Outfitters to my Thule Canyon roof basket. Now I have a rattle in the back rail on the end that fits down into the opposite side. I wish there was a way to tighten this so I don't have the rattle. It's the end opposite of the torx screw. It's almost like I need a rubber gasket to place around the hole where that end fits into the rail.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good for you! I'm not sure on the OEM tires as well...My 2018 Subaru Legacy came with Goodyear Assurance Tires and they have 71,000 miles on them and are doing great!

·
Registered
2016 Outback
91 Posts
Lol, you all crack me up. Mine arrives at the dealer today, so driving from upstate NY to NJ to take delivery tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Saw my very first 2020 "in the wild" today. Was walking out to the visitor parking lot to go to lunch with a vendor and stopped in my tracks staring at the back of a green XT (not sure which one as it just didn't dawn on my to check the details. Kept wondering, "Is that a real visitor or one of our entitled employees parking in the visitor lot?" :D

It was sharp!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Drove it home from the dealership in absolute pouring down rain & heavy rockin’ thunderstorm. Admired all the various fancy lights on this beauty flashing at me. I just had to wonder what the poor car was trying to tell me because I couldn’t take my eyes off the crazy interstate traffic given the conditions and all the car wrecks out there. (Softly chanted...must get home, must get home). And we did, safe and sound...whew! Epic 1st adventure!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,787 Posts
Glad you made it home safely!
That would really suck, an accident on your way home from the dealer in a brand new car!

·
Registered
223 Posts
That’s what I kept thinking, especially since I had just turned down all the warranty options to fix broken stuff on the car..yowza!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Drove it home from the dealership in absolute pouring down rain & heavy rockin’ thunderstorm. Admired all the various fancy lights on this beauty flashing at me. I just had to wonder what the poor car was trying to tell me because I couldn’t take my eyes off the crazy interstate traffic given the conditions and all the car wrecks out there. (Softly chanted...must get home, must get home). And we did, safe and sound...whew! Epic 1st adventure!
Years ago, a buddy bought a new white Hyundai Sante Fe....on he way home from the dealer it started storming and then started hailing...by the time he got home, he was driving a golf ball. It was so bad, they totalled his car!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I spent the earlier part of the week in my work vehicle and after a stressful day yesterday got in and went on some errand and home; calmed me right down. :) Spun it up and squirted down the road a couple times (XT mwahaha). I really love this car more and more. I hate that I had some time in between all my OBs... alas, absence made the heart grow fonder.

41 - 60 of 1637 Posts