Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
5981 - 6000 of 6094 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
475 Posts
LOL right?

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
511 Posts
FWIW, I just had a good experience with Carvana. Sold my dad's Honda Accord and got way more than I would have received selling myself. Offer was $1000. more than local Honda dlr it came from new offered me.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,656 Posts
Selling and buying are different though.

Reactions: jes2

·
Registered
2021 Outback
5 Posts
I will admit that I haven't done much research on oil disposal for my area, but I have a few friends who are backyard mechanics and for the most part, they have given up doing oil changes on their vehicles because it is difficult to find a place that will take old oil.
From my conversations with them, they have told me that most if not all dealerships, garages and auto supply stores will not take a consumer's old oil. There are a few recycling facilities that will take old oil, but from checking them out in the last couple of hours, it appears that they will only take very limited quantities, and a couple charge a disposal fee. I have a 10 litre drain container that's almost full from doing oil changes on my snowblower and lawn mower that I have to dispose of, so at this point, it's easier and more cost effective to bring the car to Costco or another lube place than to change it myself...although I would love to do it myself.
Check out this website. It is regulated in NFLD so you should have some relatively convenient options to dispose of oil, filters, antifreeze and even the containers those fluids come in. Atlantic Used Oil Management Association (NB, NS, PE, NL) (uoma-atlantic.com)

·
Registered
2021 Outback
5 Posts
Spent a few days in Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland, Canada. Here is a pic of the mountain we climbed and one of the views from the top. Should probably note on this forum that the OB did not actually climb the mountain, just the people inside.
Cloud Sky Land vehicle Car Tire
Cloud Sky Mountain Natural landscape Water

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
106 Posts
Took my Onyx XT for a wheel balance/rotation since Discount Tire is 10 minutes away and they include free lifetime balancing/rotation.
Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails 235/65R17 108H have a 11/32" thread depth brand new. All 4 tires were at 10/32" after about 4,000 miles.

I decided to do a 5 wheel rotation every 4,000 miles to keep all tires within 2/32", following this article from Tirerack.com:

I put the new tires on at about 2,300 miles on 5/25/2021, now balanced/rotated just a little over 3 months later at 6300 miles.
I would hate to be away on a trip at say, 8/32" of thread depth, then have the need to swap in a brand new spare at 11/32".

BTW, the balance was perfect and didn't need any adjustments, but I'm glad they check each tire.
Anyone else with a full size spare doing a 5-wheel rotation?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
46 Posts
Yes. I added a full-size spare to my Touring and recently did the first rotation, at 6000 miles on the car (should maybe do it a little sooner in the future to help keep the wear even, although wear was minimal). Also, note that the owner's manual differs from the Tire Rack link in your post concerning 5-tire rotation sequence. Probably doesn't matter as long as you consistently follow the same sequence pattern. But I always like to default to the owner's manual, which shows the spare going to left front and the left rear becoming the spare.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
106 Posts
Yes. I added a full-size spare to my Touring and recently did the first rotation, at 6000 miles on the car (should maybe do it a little sooner in the future to help keep the wear even, although wear was minimal). Also, note that the owner's manual differs from the Tire Rack link in your post concerning 5-tire rotation sequence. Probably doesn't matter as long as you consistently follow the same sequence pattern. But I always like to default to the owner's manual, which shows the spare going to left front and the left rear becoming the spare.
Yes, thanks for mentioning this. I looked it up on the manual and drew a it up on a piece of paper for them. Discount tire mentioned they also do the rearward cross a bit different than Subaru, but they followed my requests to go as per the manual - fronts cross on the way to the rear, spare to the front left, and rear left goes back to the spare position.

I just found it interesting that Discount tire itself recommends rotations every 6-8K, the dealer recommends it every 6K, but Tirerack says every 3-5K, with this important note: Rotations early in the tire's life are most important to prevent irregular wear.

·
Registered
Subaru Ambassador: 2021 Onyx XT w lots of mods
78 Posts
Took my Onyx XT for a wheel balance/rotation since Discount Tire is 10 minutes away and they include free lifetime balancing/rotation.
Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails 235/65R17 108H have a 11/32" thread depth brand new. All 4 tires were at 10/32" after about 4,000 miles.

I decided to do a 5 wheel rotation every 4,000 miles to keep all tires within 2/32", following this article from Tirerack.com:

I put the new tires on at about 2,300 miles on 5/25/2021, now balanced/rotated just a little over 3 months later at 6300 miles.
I would hate to be away on a trip at say, 8/32" of thread depth, then have the need to swap in a brand new spare at 11/32".

BTW, the balance was perfect and didn't need any adjustments, but I'm glad they check each tire.
I just asked for a quote for a spare from the Discount Tire forum sponsor to do this very thing. Discount Tire is a great company.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, thanks for mentioning this. I looked it up on the manual and drew a it up on a piece of paper for them. Discount tire mentioned they also do the rearward cross a bit different than Subaru, but they followed my requests to go as per the manual - fronts cross on the way to the rear, spare to the front left, and rear left goes back to the spare position.

I just found it interesting that Discount tire itself recommends rotations every 6-8K, the dealer recommends it every 6K, but Tirerack says every 3-5K, with this important note: Rotations early in the tire's life are most important to prevent irregular wear.
I always rotate my tires every 3K.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT Abyss Blue Pearl
553 Posts

I rotate 5 wheels every 3000 miles and use this pattern recommended for four wheel drive vehicles. I was not aware the manual showed a different rotation pattern. I wonder why.
Automotive tire Audio equipment Font Parallel Electronic device

Rectangle Font Parallel Auto part Logo

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don’t want to be redundant so I’ll ask here, but how are the stock tires in snow? It’s getting to be that time of year and if the stock tires can handle snow well enough I’ll put off on getting my dream setup which is a 2” lift with K02 and some gnarly wheels.

I was disappointed to learn not many shops want to install lift kits. I called a couple of tire shops and 4x4 specific shops and they said they don’t do it or don’t work on subarus.

as well, I see the ReadyLift kid is almost half the price of the LP Adventure. Is there a big difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
2022 OBW, 2008 OBS
81 Posts
I agree with the first part of your statement, but I’m sorry the second part is just bad advice.

If after a proper reading the oil is at or near the top mark, THAT is fine. Anywhere over the top mark is too much and not a risk anyone should take.
SOA disagrees with this statement as all three OBWs I looked at when I bought mine were well above the F on the stick…around a half inch or so.

I will be doing the 5k change on mine next week so we’ll see where it ends up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5981 - 6000 of 6094 Posts