Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
6001 - 6020 of 6094 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
SOA disagrees with this statement as all three OBWs I looked at when I bought mine were well above the F on the stick…around a half inch or so.

I will be doing the 5k change on mine next week so we’ll see where it ends up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I made my statement based on information in the owner’s manual; when following the oil level check procedure it should not read above the top mark.

Did you follow that procedure, and in some roundabout way determine that your findings at dealerships somehow translate to SOA contradicting their own published reference material?

I’m also confused about your “we’ll see where it ends up” statement, are you just going to guess how much oil needs to be put back in after you drain it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
... borrowed a buddies Loadwarrior + extension to try it out. Looks good on top, even if it is a little long in the tooth.
I've been shopping baskets and this combo is in my final 3. I think it looks great! Just curious... How was the wind/road noise?

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT - Pearl White
32 Posts
I've been shopping baskets and this combo is in my final 3. I think it looks great! Just curious... How was the wind/road noise?
Honestly, only drove about 6 miles on county roads, with a lot of start/stop driving. At 50ish mph it didn't seem to bad- I didn't really notice it. 75 on a highway may be a different story. I can report back in a few days.

This is on loan (I think) until I figure out what I want and can justify why I need more $$ into my brand new car to the Mrs.

Cosmetically I'd prefer the streamlined look of the Offgrid (medium) with extension if I buy a basket. Also considering the Yakima Locknload on Landing pad 27s (if they ever become available anywhere) and skyline towers on SL adapter. Wish it sat a little lower, but I could get over it. Also considering SpiderNoDrill, or Frontrunner (if they release a 2020+ versions that has reliable mounting), though same height issue as Locknload. If I can't find anything up to date on these I may start a thread looking for comparison pro/cons.

Let me know if you have any other questions while I have the Loadwarrior. Can take more pics if needed.

·
Registered
2022 OBW, 2008 OBS
81 Posts
I made my statement based on information in the owner’s manual; when following the oil level check procedure it should not read above the top mark.

Did you follow that procedure, and in some roundabout way determine that your findings at dealerships somehow translate to SOA contradicting their own published reference material?

I’m also confused about your “we’ll see where it ends up” statement, are you just going to guess how much oil needs to be put back in after you drain it?
My statement is made based on the factory overfill, regardless of what the book says. I stopped and looked at a 4th OBW a couple of days ago at a dealer I passed and it was also a half inch + over full.

When I fill mine up with 4 quarts, I’ll see where it lands on the stick and then nudge it up until full is reached.

I’m legitimately curious what amount of oil is actually required for the dipstick to just show full and not way over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
Because they're doing oil changes fast, they probably don't suck out or drain ALL the oil and if they use an oil filler gun set to 4.8 quarts it will be half an inch over. I just tested this yesterday - I did a drain until it was drip drip, closed the fumoto, put in almost exactly 4.8 quarts out of a 5 quart jug, and it's 1/2" over the full mark on the dipstick. Since I have a fumoto I can always do a partial drain of half a quart, which would make the fill only a little over 4 quarts.

Reactions: David in Norcal

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
24 Posts
I have an Offgrid medium (no ext currently) and it's fine with wind noise up to ~75/80. Depending on wind conditions you might hear a bit of whistling prior to those speeds though

·
Premium Member
2021 Outback Touring XT
241 Posts
I have the Load Warrior without extension because I actually like the boxiness of it. Definitely causes road noise and gas loss at highway speeds. Not huge amounts of either. Radio covers the road noise, and gas loss maybe 1mpg +/-.5 - 1 based on the situation.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

·
Registered
12 Posts
Installed the self dimming side mirrors with approach lights kit on my wife's '22. Has anyone else done this? I got them snapped into place and they're on good, but they both seem a little bit more pry-able than I expected, like maybe not all 4 of the clips are engaged. I might take another look but I'm curious if anyone else has experience there.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'll be making a 1,200 mile loop Wed-Sun so I went through her just a bit before I leave.
Changed the oil, 5 qts out and 5 back in. Filled the washer fluid with Rain-X 2 in 1. Also noticed my coolant reservoir was nearly empty. I topped it off with Zerex blue I had.

Checked my tires at 19,6k and the rears are 7/32 and the fronts are 6/32. I was bad at rotations so my rears have spent most of their life up front.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,722 Posts
Why do the 245s look so much more aggressive?
Because it's the WildPeak A/T3W while the other is the WildPeak A/T. The A/T3W is classed as a light truck/SUV tire, the A/T is an SUV/CUV tire...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Why do the 245s look so much more aggressive?
You can definitely feel the difference in acceleration and handling. Its definitely a much firmer ride, but I like it. The 235's were 8lbs lighter and you can feel that. The 245's look way better and I know they are a great off road tire. So far I don't think the noise is much different. I'm headed to CO and Wyoming on Wednesday so I will really get to test them out.

6001 - 6020 of 6094 Posts