Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
6021 - 6040 of 6094 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
yes 17x8 +38 offset. No rubbing at full lock. I will find out soon about off road. The biggest issue I see is I only have a 235 for a spare. I have a tire repair kit as well.
Not an issue unless you’re in the wilderness [insert pun emoji].

Think of your full size 235 spare as a larger space saver. Make sure it gets installed on the back and that you have two same size tires on the front, then pull the fuse to put the car in FWD mode.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can definitely feel the difference in acceleration and handling. Its definitely a much firmer ride, but I like it. The 235's were 8lbs lighter and you can feel that. The 245's look way better and I know they are a great off road tire. So far I don't think the noise is much different. I'm headed to CO and Wyoming on Wednesday so I will really get to test them out.
Those things are cool as he11.
👍

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
333 Posts
Called REI before picking up my second attempt at a Yakima CBX 16. Second one came in more damaged than the first. Going to figure out a Thule to order (Motion or Vector) when they have stock on them.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
24 Posts
Called REI before picking up my second attempt at a Yakima CBX 16. Second one came in more damaged than the first. Going to figure out a Thule to order (Motion or Vector) when they have stock on them.
dang they're only sending in damaged goods?!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
333 Posts
dang they're only sending in damaged goods?!
First one was scratched. Second one had a large hole in it. REI has been really cool about handling it, but the damaged boxes during shipping plus a few recent negative reviews on REI mean I do not want the Yakima anymore.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Outdoor XT
51 Posts
Started a dashcam (2-ch, hardwire with battery for parking mode) install today. Could not finish because I did not have all of the appropriate pieces apparently. Le sigh.
I started by fishing the wires that hardwire the battery to the fuse panel, and then the power cable from the battery to the camera. I had to order a longer coaxial cable for the rear channel and a low-profile fuse tap.
A couple things of notes so far:
  • Any add-a-circuit/fuse taps need to be a low-profile style.
  • Using add-a-circuit/fuse taps means no more coin box/fuse panel cover. :( I wonder if there is another way?
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,631 Posts
I am dreaming of a road trip yet again. This one is going to be very long. Expecting a 5-7k mile one. Did some calculations about flying instead but with the camping and photography hear I have, that won't be feasible.

Also looked at rentals and the prices for an suv for just over two weeks is around $1500-$1600 mark with Costco Travel.

Looks like I will pile some more miles on my Outback :)

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT - Pearl White
32 Posts
Got around to installing that OEM tow hitch this morning.

Automotive tire Netbook Vehicle Bumper Tire
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Grille

Took me longer than I wanted, but exactly the amount of time I allotted (about 5 hours 😳, with a lunch break). Trimming the lower fascia took me roughly the same amount of time as the rest of the disassembly, install, reassembly, but I really didn't want to muck it up.

For anyone running a slightly oversized spare in the trunk (mine are 235/65R17) the control module you have to install fits without any issue.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The 3 piece template you have to cut out and assemble it a real PITA. I recommend cutting it out before you start the manual labor portion and you're dehydrated from 2 hours in direct sunlight- my hands were not nearly as steady as they could have been. My wife's small thread cutting scissors (sorry Hunny 😬) came in handy for the detail work when my chunky milwaukee scissors were to sloppy.

Azure Black Blue Rectangle Wood

Blue tape , as always, was my friend. I use it anytime I'm about to drill or cut something where accuracy matters. Taped up the inside of the fascia and then positioned/taped the template on top and traced it out.

White Black Azure Blue Hood

White Blue Rectangle Line Red

(Side note: I'm dumb and didn't read the directions to place the template on the inside of the fascia until after I traced the picture above. I then repeated the process on the inside as suggested. It makes more sense because if using a blade to score the plastic results in any slips, which did happen once, that unintentional score line is hidden on the inside.)

Also, I modified how I cut the template, and made some diagonal cuts in place of rounded edges and it works perfectly fine. I was originally calling them rough cuts and would go back to round them over but they looked fine and access to hitch plug and hitch pin did not seem impeded at all. I also did not cut into the right side square fastener clip recess. I chose to keep it intact and squared around it.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Grille

Edges could probably use a touch more sanding for refinement. 🤷‍♂️

Overall pleased with the final product.

Sorry if this write up is redundant to anything previously posted. Just wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not an issue unless you’re in the wilderness [insert pun emoji].

Think of your full size 235 spare as a larger space saver. Make sure it gets installed on the back and that you have two same size tires on the front, then pull the fuse to put the car in FWD mode.

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
390 Posts
Started a dashcam (2-ch, hardwire with battery for parking mode) install today. Could not finish because I did not have all of the appropriate pieces apparently. Le sigh.
I started by fishing the wires that hardwire the battery to the fuse panel, and then the power cable from the battery to the camera. I had to order a longer coaxial cable for the rear channel and a low-profile fuse tap.
A couple things of notes so far:
  • Any add-a-circuit/fuse taps need to be a low-profile style.
  • Using add-a-circuit/fuse taps means no more coin box/fuse panel cover. :( I wonder if there is another way?
View attachment 520937
Looks complicated, good luck. I would not mid one, but not sure I want the car taken apart to hide the wires.

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Got around to installing that OEM tow hitch this morning.

Also, I modified how I cut the template, and made some diagonal cuts in place of rounded edges and it works perfectly fine. I was originally calling them rough cuts and would go back to round them over but they looked fine and access to hitch plug and hitch pin did not seem impeded at all. I also did not cut into the right side square fastener clip recess. I chose to keep it intact and squared around it.
Good job on the cuts! Keeping them squared off on the underside is a great idea, makes things just a bit easier, and keeping the clip recess intact is an easier cut too. Plus more material left around it is always good.

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT - Pearl White
32 Posts
Thanks! I think it looks cleaner and retains more rigidity keeping that square recessed area intact.

There is most definitely a special place in **** for the person that designed that three page template. Why they couldn't just include printed instructions and an 11x17 template in the box I'll never understand. I'm pretty sure the OEM magnetic rear door window shades i ordered came with printed installation instructions. I spent 30 minutes just trying to get my crap printer to work so I could do this install.

But, in hindsight, my biggest regret was not choosing to throw in a catback exhaust at the same time since I had 50% of the exhaust system already disconnected... next time I guess.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
333 Posts
Ordered a Thule Vector M after my two failed Yakima CBX 16 purchase attempts.

Reactions: Brettcr

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Had my 18k miles service yesterday even though I only have 15k miles.
All good here, I run a 4k oil change interval with a tire rotation every other service (8k)...

Oil is cheap, engines and turbos are not. Knock on wood, but learned after my first Subie that they don't seem to like to push the full normal operating interval without having some type of oil consumption down the road... So, when I got my first Outback years ago, I started changing at 5 instead of 7500, and never had any consumption that I noticed, both of them had an EJ253. Since I live outside NYC in a suburban area with lots of short trips, I settled on 4k intervals. For me, it's one extra service per year on the FA24, or around $65 before any coupons I can find. It's cheap insurance.

I do about 12k per year, so that breaks down to about one service every 4 months. I would change at 6 month mark regardless.

6021 - 6040 of 6094 Posts