Subaru Outback Forums banner
6761 - 6780 of 6814 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Took car in for 6mos service. Service writer questioned that I had just had oil change done in June (6/2 to be precise), why was I doing so soon and only 4300 mi. since. I told her so I wouldn't void the warranty plus I needed state insp. (free from dlr), s/w update and alignment check (also free). She came back and told me well as long as you get the oil changed at least once a yr. I'd be ok. I told her that wasn't what I understood. Go figure? This evening I found out there is a new map version available. Why wouldn't they have checked that as well and updated? Alignment was out on left rear. Must have been like that from factory since I hadn't noticed anything and only have 8500 mi. on it.
Overall pleasant experience but **** the costs to change oil is horrible even w/ a $25 coupon. Considering buying the Subaru filters in bulk, oil at Walmart and taking somewhere to have it done. $123.00 for oil and filter change and tire rotation just seems steep to me. Maybe I've gotten spoiled by Honda's syn. blend and the coupons they send me. Guess I could consider it a birthday present for the car since it was a yr. old yesterday.🎂🎁🎉
My dealer will perform oil & filter change for labor and disposal fee total of about $22 when I bring in my own oil and filter. I get top quality synthetic oil for about $25 or less at WalMart, depending on possible rebate. Subaru blue A15 filter at dealer parts counter I think is about $8 now. They also do their basic maintenance check of fluids, etc. included in this charge. So my cost is about $55. Tire rotation is $20 but when you eventually get replacement tires at Costco or Discount Tire, rotations become free.

See if your dealer will do something similar. Or, maybe an indy shop. Or, if you're young & limber enough, DIY oil change on Gen 6 OB is simple. Reco a Fumoto valve if you go that route.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,998 Posts
$123.00 for oil and filter change and tire rotation just seems steep to me.
Steeper than at my dealer - under $100 for the same service. Oil was under $22, filter a little over $6, they use a BG additive costing $14 (it's how they offer lifetime powertrain warranty when all service is done there on schedule, might be a package of oil and fuel additives). Overall, if you don't take the BG additive into consideration, it's actually a fair price for the oil, filter and labor.

Once I replace the tires I can save the cost of the tire rotation if the tire shop offers free rotations with the tires.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
585 Posts
My dealer will perform oil & filter change for labor and disposal fee total of about $22 when I bring in my own oil and filter. I get top quality synthetic oil for about $25 or less at WalMart, depending on possible rebate. Subaru blue A15 filter at dealer parts counter I think is about $8 now. They also do their basic maintenance check of fluids, etc. included in this charge. So my cost is about $55. Tire rotation is $20 but when you eventually get replacement tires at Costco or Discount Tire, rotations become free.

See if your dealer will do something similar. Or, maybe an indy shop. Or, if you're young & limber enough, DIY oil change on Gen 6 OB is simple. Reco a Fumoto valve if you go that route.
"Young and Limber", I remember those guys. Haven't seen them in a long time though. What's even worse is that I have to drive an hour and ten minutes for this "massage". I normally will get dealers to price match Tire Rack prices and buy from them so I don't have to pay for rotation. Doubt I'll do that w/ this dlr. Wish we had a Costco or Discount tire in my town. Oh well, I did get $4500. off of MSRP when I bought it. I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Steeper than at my dealer - under $100 for the same service. Oil was under $22, filter a little over $6, they use a BG additive costing $14 (it's how they offer lifetime powertrain warranty when all service is done there on schedule, might be a package of oil and fuel additives). Overall, if you don't take the BG additive into consideration, it's actually a fair price for the oil, filter and labor.

Once I replace the tires I can save the cost of the tire rotation if the tire shop offers free rotations with the tires.
Oil - 32.50
Filter - 6.91
Gasket - 3.00
Labor rotation and oil chg. - 80.00
Plus taxes

·
Registered
2022 Outback Limited Abyss Blue
42 Posts
Warranty technically does not get voided ever since the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act was enacted in 1975, though a specific claim can be denied if a failure can be attributed to a non-OEM modification, or failure to maintain the vehicle per the Subaru Maintenance Schedule, which does state very specifically every 6 months or 6,000 miles so that stupid little dealer brat is dead wrong.
I don't go to the dealer except for warranty work, recall, or free oil changes.

I think another misconception is that the dealer has to do the scheduled service to maintain warranty. My local mechanic does all of this for much cheaper. I bring my own oil and filter.

·
Registered
585 Posts
On a happier note...took our first real road trip since buying the OB one yr ago. Met our daughter from Pittsburgh for an early Thanksgiving. Went to the Central VA wineries and breweries near Blue Ridge Mtns. OB drove like a charm. It's not a luxury car but sure rides as good as one. Quiet ride except for the occasional ding from the LDW when it lost sight of the lines. The seats are exactly the reason we bought the Touring. Still learning to live w/ some of the quirks but hoping the s/w update today will help. No complaints w/ the H/K audio system. Averaged 26 MPG w/ a lot of mountain and in town driving. Made the entire trip on a single tank and had 50 miles left on the gauge when we got home. Wish the rear seats were easier to get in and out of. Don't need the wide step at door sill and the doors need to open 90 degrees like many other cars in this category. Still don't like the Lane Ctr. function and still wish infotainment ctr. had a back button on it. Mostly pleased with it after 8500 miles. Not sure if it will be a long term keeper but we'll give it a shot.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
69 Posts
Last week I had the oil and filtered changed. Since we had several black screens on the head unit after a big road trip some weeks ago, we added this to the list as well as a finicky touchless hatch opening. At times it will work, at times it will not. I have also noted that at times the fob will allow me to lock the vehicle from in the house, but then the next time, not. We also had an issue where, if we left the passenger seat A/C option on before turning the vehicle off, two cold morning start-ups resulted in the A/C motor screaming like a banshee. Results, they updated the software for the head unit, could not replicate the touchless lift gate issues, and could not replicate the seat A/C motor issue. So far, after a 2.5-hour road trip to Orlando, the head unit seems to be working quicker and has no blackout. Have not had the seat A/C on with a cold morning yet. The touchless liftgate is still sporadic and works at times and at times does not. Still, an amazing vehicle to drive, however, my wife still states that our 2015 is her favorite.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dealer includes 24k mile maintenance plans gratis and I was given the option to upgrade to Subaru’s 36k mile maintenance plan for $100 which I did because the first oil change was a few thousand miles away from home. Is this atypical?

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
693 Posts
My dealer includes 24k mile maintenance plans gratis and I was given the option to upgrade to Subaru’s 36k mile maintenance plan for $100 which I did because the first oil change was a few thousand miles away from home. Is this atypical?
Is what atypical?

1. 24,000 mile maint free - No similar offer from my dealer.
2. 36,000 mile $100 - No similar offer from my dealer.
3. First oil change 1,000 miles from home. - Mine was a lot closer.

All you have to do is look at the maintenance schedule to see what you are being charged $100 for. Odds are your dealer makes these costs up somewhere else. So, since you've already paid for it (in a sense), $100 is a bargain. Just 30 quarts of 0W-20 synthetic oil costs more than $100.

24,000 miles = 4 oil and oil filter changes, 4 tire rotations and 2 HVAC filter changes
36,000 miles = 2 more oil and oil filter changes, 2 more tire rotations, 1 more HVAC filter change, 1 air filter change and 1 brake fluid change

·
Registered
2022 Outback Limited Abyss Blue
42 Posts
well, went downtown and picked up beer for the Thanksgiving crowd. Being from Asheville and since we have a bizillion breweries, that's my Thanksgiving contribution. Got a low fuel warning so gassed up with my first tank of gas. A bit of sticker shock, full tank was right at $50. The Impreza has a smaller tank! :cool:

·
Registered
Black 2022 Outback Wilderness
30 Posts
well, went downtown and picked up beer for the Thanksgiving crowd. Being from Asheville and since we have a bizillion breweries, that's my Thanksgiving contribution. Got a low fuel warning so gassed up with my first tank of gas. A bit of sticker shock, full tank was right at $50. The Impreza has a smaller tank! :cool:
You want sticker shock, the Tundra I traded in was $108.00 from a tiny bit above empty o_O

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh, didn't really think anyone would be interested, but here y'go:
View attachment 526112
Thanks!

Impressive viscosity retention, even though flashpoint is somewhat depressed. Higher level of moly than most oils. Apparently Motul has not migrated to partial Calcium displacement by Magnesium in detergent package, arguably a downside from LSPI-prevention perspective.

Your Silicon levels are impressively low for a fairly low-mileage vehicle still really breaking in, same goes for iron and the Copper is better at this point than any recent UOA I can recall.

6761 - 6780 of 6814 Posts