Subaru Outback Forums banner
6781 - 6800 of 6814 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
well, went downtown and picked up beer for the Thanksgiving crowd. Being from Asheville and since we have a bizillion breweries, that's my Thanksgiving contribution. Got a low fuel warning so gassed up with my first tank of gas. A bit of sticker shock, full tank was right at $50. The Impreza has a smaller tank! :cool:
Id kill for those gas prices right now. Mine is averaging $75 to $80.

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
438 Posts
Thanks!

Impressive viscosity retention, even though flashpoint is somewhat depressed. Higher level of moly than most oils. Apparently Motul has not migrated to partial Calcium displacement by Magnesium in detergent package, arguably a downside from LSPI-prevention perspective.

Your Silicon levels are impressively low for a fairly low-mileage vehicle still really breaking in, same goes for iron and the Copper is better at this point than any recent UOA I can recall.
Actually, viscosity took quite a hit since it starts at 12.1. But yes, if you run a 5W-30 with an HTHS of 3.5> chances are it will stay in grade.

Motul has recently reformulated their line-up, but X-clean has always focused on Euro builder, ACEA C3, and dexos 2 approvals while Eco-lite is their SP/GF6 dexos 1 oil. If this was Eco-lite 5W-30, I would expect a greater chance of the viscosity plunging into 20 grade territory, although the HTHS is 3.3 so that is also pretty impressive. But you won't see a GF6 oil with an HTHS as high as an ACEA C3 oil in any case.

·
Registered
Black 2022 Outback Wilderness
30 Posts
Did the first oil change today. Did it way early and I know people say that's unnecessary with modern vehicles but it makes me feel better. Plus winter where I live and the driving I do is the definition of severe service and I wanted really good oil put in so amsoil SS and puralator boss filter was my choice. Also installed this: Amazon.com Also, those vehicle specific funnels are fantastic!
Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car Wheel

·
Registered
05 Outback XT Auto / 06 Forester XT STi 6speed (298/338) EFI Tuned / 02 Outback /98 Forester
22 Posts
Today I replaced the chrome lettering with the black lettering from the XT Onyx also did part of the rear light black out. Tried to do the small section where the rear signal light is and had a hard time of it plus it's in the low 40s here in CT and my body told me to get in the house and warm up. I'll finish it up another day. ( Not the best pics)
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting White
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle

·
Registered
173 Posts
Drove to St. Louis to check in on my dad and spend Thanksgiving with him. I got a late start because a sparrow got past the flue cap for our bedroom fireplace and was stuck in the firebox. It's a sealed gas fireplace so it took a while to figure out how to remove the glass panel and then to get the bird shooed out of the bedroom through a window.

Eastbound I-70 (the other direction from me) was closed for about 26 miles from Terre Haute to Putnamville due to a huge semi fire that closed both lanes for several hours. The fire was out when I went by but the engine block was about the only recognizable feature of the tractor. Local news reported there were no injuries, but the trucker may be without a ride for a while.

It was an incredibly windy drive over. I normally get 30 to 33 mpg on this drive but it looks like it was closer to 26.5 or so today. Ouch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On a happier note...took our first real road trip since buying the OB one yr ago. View attachment 526075
Love the look of those all black grilles on the white OB! Looking to get something similar for my '20 Touring XT (Also white). I just can't believe the price. I can't find a black honeycomb grille for anything less than $250 online. My last car, a 2016 Ford Fusion, I bought one for $80 and it was perfect!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve been on a thanksgiving road trip and put on about 1000 miles on the car since last week and she is driving great. I do notice that the oil temperature fluctuates between 192-212 F, and goes up to the higher numbers when driving at 70+ MPH through mountains. I’m hoping this is normal?

I also installed the Subaru rear trailer hitch last weekend (part L101san000). This took longer than expected as I was using only hand tools and there are a lot of bolts to remove and install. The hardest part was cutting out the rear bumper fascia since the template provided in the instructions was awful and called for removing what seemed like a quarter of the plastic. I used guidance from a YouTube video (
), but eventually I realized that I could just cut out a hole that’s fully enclosed, to preserve the shape. I used a dremel, jigsaw, and utility knife to cut the hole and deburr the plastic.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My XT usually runs around 195, unless in similar conditions. I have seen it get up to but not above 220 when on an extended hill climb. This seems like perfectly normal behavior. If you don’t already do so, make routine checks of your oil level and coolant levels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Today I replaced the chrome lettering with the black lettering from the XT Onyx also did part of the rear light black out. Tried to do the small section where the rear signal light is and had a hard time of it plus it's in the low 40s here in CT and my body told me to get in the house and warm up. I'll finish it up another day. ( Not the best pics) View attachment 526200 View attachment 526201 View attachment 526202 View attachment 526203
I haven’t put mine on after it was de-badged, but it’s good to see it’s stupid simple with the guides.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, picked up our new Wilderness a week ago today, took it on a road trip the next day to pick up my mother in law from just north of Memphis TN (we live near Raleigh, NC). Ended up getting a silver instead of the white we ordered based on needing it for the trip, and shipping delays. I think we actually prefer the silver!

Today in between food and watching "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", I put in Focal speakers to replace the crappy Toyota stuff the car came with. Night and day difference!

Loving this thing so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also, also, can anyone tell me why the compass on my mirror comes back each time I turn it off? If you disable it in literally any other car it stays off. Minor annoyance, but still an annoyance.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,998 Posts
Also, also, can anyone tell me why the compass on my mirror comes back each time I turn it off? If you disable it in literally any other car it stays off. Minor annoyance, but still an annoyance.
Page 263 of the manual says it resets on each ignition cycle so I guess there's no 'permanent off'...

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
788 Posts
I absolutely could not stand that bright red LED light constantly glaring at me. There are five compasses on the Generation 6 Outback (depending on trim level) so it’s totally not needed.

I got some blackout material, and used a vinyl cutter to block the darn thing. The blackout material is actually not noticeable when you’re driving the car and it’s so nice not to have that stupid non-cancelable light glowing.

Permanently defeating that light and permanently defeating the Auto Start Stop? Favorite 2 vengeance mods. 🤨
Hood Light Automotive lighting Black Automotive side-view mirror

Car Vehicle Hood Light Automotive design

6781 - 6800 of 6814 Posts