Subaru Outback Forums banner
7241 - 7260 of 7357 Posts

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
That comment made me think; Are your Subies "him" or "her" or is that not a PC question? In the tall ship days, boats were referred to as female, because it "cost so much to keep them in paint and powder".
Our sailboat has a feminine name. My cars have always had masculine pronouns.
Ships are still considered as “she” in English, but there are other languages where they are referred to as “he”. I believe German and Spanish are prominent in this. I have always though of my cars in the female sense, hence the name.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Send me all your chrome...as it seems I'm the only one on this forum that doesn't have a problem with it.
You can have the one around the gear selector that, when the sun hits it just right, goes straight at your eyeball.

Reactions: Baggss

·
Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
733 Posts
That comment made me think; Are your Subies "him" or "her" or is that not a PC question? In the tall ship days, boats were referred to as female, because it "cost so much to keep them in paint and powder".
Him or her? Well, it depends.

From my automotive experience and POV:

If the vehicle is really a nice ride, dependable, and pleasant to drive, I tended to call it a 'her'.

From my ownership/use of a few trucks 'n such, if they were tough, got the job done, took a lickin' but kept on tickin' (yeah, that's an old saying), etc., I tended to address them as a 'he'.

Unfortunately, in a couple of circumstances where the vehicle was a total PITA, undependable, and I really disliked driving it, I definitely referred to that vehicle as an 'IT'.

As in, 'a worthless POS'.💩 Fortunately, these vehicles were pretty rare, few & far between.

My current Subie? Well, we're still in the courting segment of our relationship, but I think it'll be a 'she'.

The wife refers to it as 'the starship". Good to see that the women are getting along! 😏😏 (y)

·
Registered
190 Posts
We have a boy and a girl. Mine was dubbed Savannah by my sister-in-law because the color reminded her of the Spanish moss so prevalent in that city. Her Tucson (now my wife's car), which she bought around the same time, is a boy. But the name was a politically incorrect joke that stuck so I'll leave it at that. :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
107 Posts
My Outback is neither because I think calling a car a female or a male name is juvenile (this is only my opinion, not offense, I know a lot of people do but that has never been my thing). Thats why I call my green Outback "The Green Bean".

·
Registered
Black 2022 Outback Wilderness
76 Posts
My Outback is neither because I think calling a car a female or a male name is juvenile (this is only my opinion, not offense, I know a lot of people do but that has never been my thing). Thats why I call my green Outback "The Green Bean".
That's what I called my Tundra :p

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
635 Posts
Agree 100%. Can't say I've ever developed a relationship w/ a car that necessitated a first name basis.

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Outback Limited, 2.5L
99 Posts
I don't know if mine is a him or her, but I allowed my kids to name it. My only rule was that it had to start with the letter "G," as that's tradition going back to cars my grandfather owned when my dad was a kid.

So, thanks to three boys (ages 13, 10 and 9 at the time), we christened it "Goober."

7241 - 7260 of 7357 Posts