Subaru Outback Forums banner
7301 - 7320 of 8466 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
55 Posts
Picked up my OBWilderness from the dealership yesterday after the big updates.

My local Subaru dealership replaced my head unit and updated my transmission with the new TSB 16-135-21R software update.

The head unit kept blacking out and rebooting after the first update.
It was a little bit faster but it was still having the rebooting issue.

I also let them know the heat was super hot as per the temperature.
They told me that the heat related issue has to do with the cockpit controls module.

I was also noticing the lack of power response with the gas pedal. My best description is like if it is hunting for a gear. It is slow to think and when it makes up its mind it rips like a bat out of ****. Some people would say it is turbo lag but I believe the stock turbos are too small to have that much lag. It’s not like we are pushing 60mm plus turbos.

I came out of an 2019 Ascent. I have had my fair share of experience with the same 2.4 engine and CVT transmission set up. I understand they are geared different but it is basically the same set up.

The Ascent went through tons of software updates in regards to the transmission. They kept updating and cleaning it up a little bit every software release but still had room for improvement.

My first impression after picking it up was how responsive the head unit was. I did not have to unplug and re-plugged my phone cord in order to get the Waze to work correctly. Short ride home so I did not get a chance to see if it rebooted after 20 to 30 minutes.

The transmission TSB software update seem to smoothen the acceleration a bit. It feels a whole lot better and more linear than it did before. Even the technician felt it on the test drive and made a note of it. Hopefully they will continue updates like they did with the Ascent too further clean it up.

The transmission TSB indicates it is specifically for the OBWilderness. This update was incorporated into the production of the OBWilderness starting with VIN N3155224.
I wonder when is the build date start to this Vin. I do not believe this is an across-the-board Gen 6 Outback 2.4 software update unfortunately.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10203874-0001.pdf

Handwriting Font Material property Parallel Paper

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts

My local Subaru dealership replaced my head unit and updated my transmission with the new TSB 16-135-21R software update.

They told me that the heat related issue has to do with the cockpit controls module.

I was also noticing the lack of power response with the gas pedal. My best description is like if it is hunting for a gear. It is slow to think and when it makes up its mind it rips like a bat out of ****. Some people would say it is turbo lag but I believe the stock turbos are too small to have that much lag. It’s not like we are pushing 60mm plus turbos.

I came out of an 2019 Ascent. I have had my fair share of experience with the same 2.4 engine and CVT transmission set up. I understand they are geared different but it is basically the same set up.

The Ascent went through tons of software updates in regards to the transmission. They kept updating and cleaning it up a little bit every software release but still had room for improvement.

My first impression after picking it up was how responsive the head unit was. I did not have to unplug and re-plugged my phone cord in order to get the Waze to work correctly. Short ride home so I did not get a chance to see if it rebooted after 20 to 30 minutes.

The transmission TSB software update seem to smoothen the acceleration a bit. It feels a whole lot better and more linear than it did before. Even the technician felt it on the test drive and made a note of it. Hopefully they will continue updates like they did with the Ascent too further clean it up.

The transmission TSB indicates it is specifically for the OBWilderness. This update was incorporated into the production of the OBWilderness starting with VIN N3155224.
I wonder when is the build date start to this Vin. I do not believe this is an across-the-board Gen 6 Outback 2.4 software update unfortunately.

View attachment 530145
Glad you got them to replace the head unit. Let us know how things progress.

I find it interesting that there seem to be more head unit issues with the Wilderness than with other 22 trims. Wonder what they did…

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
55 Posts
Glad you got them to replace the head unit. Let us know how things progress.

I find it interesting that there seem to be more head unit issues with the Wilderness than with other 22 trims. Wonder what they did…
The service rep stated, the excessive heat settings some of us are experiencing in our cabins, are do to faulty head units. We need to complain about the excessive heat, in order to get our head units replaced.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
16,583 Posts
The tech might be mistaken about that - there's a way for the dealership to use the SSM4 to re-calibrate the system from +3 to -3 as far as temperature bias.

-paste-
I have received a step-by-step from the Service Director at Valley Subaru in Longmont Colorado:

Install the most recent 2020 flash drive update to make sure the CCM and audio system are on the newest version.
Plug in the SSM4
Go to Diagnosis
Select the vehicle
Go to each system
Go to air conditioning
Go to customize
Go to setting temperature shift
Set to desired setting, it goes from -3 to +3, I have found that most of the cars are coming from the factory set at +3, I set my own personal car to 0 and it seems to be pretty close to ambient temperature.
It has fixed all the cars except the one that was having a sensor problem.
-end paste-

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i
204 Posts
The tech might be mistaken about that - there's a way for the dealership to use the SSM4 to re-calibrate the system from +3 to -3 as far as temperature bias.

-paste-
I have received a step-by-step from the Service Director at Valley Subaru in Longmont Colorado:

Install the most recent 2020 flash drive update to make sure the CCM and audio system are on the newest version.
Plug in the SSM4
Go to Diagnosis
Select the vehicle
Go to each system
Go to air conditioning
Go to customize
Go to setting temperature shiftg
Set to desired setting, it goes from -3 to +3, I have found that most of the cars are coming from the factory set at +3, I set my own personal car to 0 and it seems to be pretty close to ambient temperature.
It has fixed all the cars except the one that was having a sensor problem.
-end paste-
Yeah, that. My CCU works pretty well so I’d rather they reset the temp offset than replace the unit. In reality, I just turn the temp down 3 degrees in winter.

·
Registered
2022 OB Tour 2.5 "OB3",Green, 20 mm RSB, Vred HighTrac tires, (3rd OB). City car is Kia Niro PHEV
660 Posts
Spent a few hours making "improvements"...
- Installed Carlink wireless device, Drilled a3/4" hole from storage area on passenger side of center counsel to run a short cord so device would be relatively hidden but accessible. Set up was smooth & easy, seems to be function well so far.

- Installed Wheel well protectors, exceptionally easy & will keep carpet clean from mud on wheels of my bike when stowing it in the back. I use a 4' x 6' water proof entry mat with fabric on one side & rubber on the other for protecting cargo area carpet. Fabric side up keeps things from sliding around. The mat completely covers cargo area with seats down & may help mute noise a bit. A cheap easy solution that can double as a place to lay on ground if need emergency repair... Simple, versatile, cheap. I have used the same one in my last 3 Outbacks!

- Also replaced puddle light bulbs with red LEDs thinking that the red would perhaps add a bit of safety over the white. I debated red, yellow, or white, finally settled on red which are plenty bright enough but now second guessing self & thinking perhaps yellow would a better choice.

Still waiting for RSB & better cargo area light
Automotive design Car Grey Personal luxury car Material property
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Trunk
Car Vehicle White Light Automotive design
Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

- Installed Subietray (one made for CD player). It fits well and adds some flexible space for storage of flat items

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
808 Posts
Do you know if there's a way to similarly adjust the steering wheel heat? Seems that many owners complain it's just warm, while others say it is singe-hot.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
16,583 Posts
Not sure if somehow that might be tied in to the other setting or not, or if it can be adjusted.

Reactions: 2020XT

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,131 Posts

View attachment 530145

View attachment 530145
Hopefully the 23 refresh will address all these issues

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Hopefully the 23 refresh will address all these issues
I suspect the transmission issue has been addressed already if they are fixing them under the TSB. I just wonder what changed in the Wilderness with head units. The other 22 MY trims seem to have very few head unit issues, but the Wilderness seems have significantly more.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
534 Posts
I suspect the transmission issue has been addressed already if they are fixing them under the TSB. I just wonder what changed in the Wilderness with head units. The other 22 MY trims seem to have very few head unit issues, but the Wilderness seems have significantly more.
The Wilderness head units will have some software differences due to additional features. Given how poor Subaru's track record is with head unit software, those differences, while minimal from a user standpoint, were probably not very well programmed/tested.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
The Wilderness head units will have some software differences due to additional features. Given how poor Subaru's track record is with head unit software, those differences, while minimal from a user standpoint, were probably not very well programmed/tested.
Any idea what the additional features are for Wilderness? All of the trims have different features.

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT, formerly 2005 LL Bean
315 Posts

I have found that most of the cars are coming from the factory set at +3, I set my own personal car to 0 and it seems to be pretty close to ambient temperature.
Does +3 mean the car is 3 degrees warmer than the setting? If so, his comment about the factory setting agrees with my experience. I used to keep my 05 Bean at 71 in the winter. The 2022 wants to be 67 or 68 for the same comfort level. That said, I'm not going to have the dealership tweak the setting right now. I want to wait to see how the AC feels about June or July and then do something that would hopefully cover both winter and summer.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
16,583 Posts
Not aware of any documentation of what units the +3 means. 3 degrees is a significant difference so it would make sense but we don't really know. Living in Hawaii I would just tell the tech to make it -3 for maximum cold. I don't think even if you set it to -3 that the car would be incapable of making the car nice and toasty inside if you set it to HI temp.

But realistically most of us just set the thing to colder or warmer as desired irrespective of the numbered temperature display. Personally I think it's a non-issue as long as you can set it to be comfortable for you. Most of us are used to temperature dials that just go from blue to red and that works just fine.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
414 Posts
The DD SS3s are my top recommended add to the OBW. Worth every penny. Grabbed the Max White Fogs and I couldn't be happier.

As an install tip, take the bumper off, it's very easy and will give you better access. I aimed mine slightly down with about a two dime thick shim on the bottom.
If you put a shim on the bottom won't that aim the lights UP? Sorry, I'm confused.

·
Registered
2022 OB Tour 2.5 "OB3",Green, 20 mm RSB, Vred HighTrac tires, (3rd OB). City car is Kia Niro PHEV
660 Posts
I thought running a cable over to the glove box was easier, no drilling needed. :)

I could probably force the cable further into the seam if needed. I selected the cable color which was the closest match to my interior.

View attachment 530193
I saw that before I did my install & I imagine it works fine
It wasn't much trouble to drill a hole and I didn't want to fiddle with cord when opening & closing the glove box. Both should work fine, simply personal preference.

Reactions: SilverOnyx
7301 - 7320 of 8466 Posts