·
Registered
784 Posts
What in the blue blazes is that?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
14 Posts
Been in Mammoth Lakes, Calif since Saturday. Mostly snowboarding, and no new snow this week at all so no good snow covered Outback photos, but drove around some messy back roads around here which was fun.
Yes that's a jogger on the road ahead and no I didn't splash him. Not much anyway (kidding)

View attachment 476833

View attachment 476835

View attachment 476837 View attachment 476838 View attachment 476839
Glad you finally got to Mammoth - that drive up 395 should've been beautiful, then to be rewarded by good conditions for boarding/skiing. Your pics look like out behind the airport - I recall taking my Audi S4 6-speed out there, and getting "slideways" along the empty gravel roads. Beautiful out there.

As far as what I've done with my Gen 6 recently, we did a 2,000 mile road trip over the holidays with it. Bay Area to San Diego to Big Bear back to San Diego to 29 Palms/Joshua Tree to Parker and Havasu to home. Lots of driving, which my wife helped with (SHE drove up the 5 coming home this time, saving me that aggravation of a highway :) ) I didn't truly track the mileage - just never re-set the A trip odometer the entire trip. Got something like 23.5 MPG the entire trip, which had plenty of city driving but a ton of highway driving as well. I thought it would do better, but then again, I wasn't really keeping an eye on it or manually calculating it. Still love the car - comfortable for trips. My wife hates all the nannies beeping at her though I've simply gotten used to it (and I don't care to turn them off every time I start the car). My wife takes particular offense when the car tells her to keep her eyes on the road LOL. (The car DOES sometimes tell me to do the same, even when I'm looking -- there's a certain head angle that triggers a false alarm, typically when I have my hand near my face and my head tilted to the left.)

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,645 Posts
Glad you finally got to Mammoth - that drive up 395 should've been beautiful, then to be rewarded by good conditions for boarding/skiing. Your pics look like out behind the airport - I recall taking my Audi S4 6-speed out there, and getting "slideways" along the empty gravel roads. Beautiful out there.

As far as what I've done with my Gen 6 recently, we did a 2,000 mile road trip over the holidays with it. Bay Area to San Diego to Big Bear back to San Diego to 29 Palms/Joshua Tree to Parker and Havasu to home. Lots of driving, which my wife helped with (SHE drove up the 5 coming home this time, saving me that aggravation of a highway :) ) I didn't truly track the mileage - just never re-set the A trip odometer the entire trip. Got something like 23.5 MPG the entire trip, which had plenty of city driving but a ton of highway driving as well. I thought it would do better, but then again, I wasn't really keeping an eye on it or manually calculating it. Still love the car - comfortable for trips. My wife hates all the nannies beeping at her though I've simply gotten used to it (and I don't care to turn them off every time I start the car). My wife takes particular offense when the car tells her to keep her eyes on the road LOL. (The car DOES sometimes tell me to do the same, even when I'm looking -- there's a certain head angle that triggers a false alarm, typically when I have my hand near my face and my head tilted to the left.)
yep - exactly where it was. Even the drive home, those dramatic mountains on that side of the Sierras, covered with snow, something out of Lord of the Rings. It always amazes me, and photos do not do it justice when you are driving down past them. No snow fell the whole 6 days we were there, but they had gotten a ton last month. It was actually harder snow at Mammoth than I had ever experienced the 6 or 7 times Ive been there, because it warmed a bit in the week before, but last year I was there twice and both times we got dumped on, amazing deep powder, so I cant complain at all.
Sounds like you did some amazing road tripping too, except up the 5. That drive up the 5 this time - I did the Sunday before New Years Day, was just **** - reminded me that I never want to do that drive anymore. cut over or back to the 101 just above the grapevine and I curse a lot less the entire drive. That 5 has just gotten nuts on that long stretch. Ive done it a LOT since the early 90s. Its so much worse now.
I get the false alarms with the monitoring, my wife laughs, and I am like "but...I was looking". I turn it off now mostly. lol

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
49 Posts
My wonderful wife bought me the complete Meguir's car cleaning kit and the OEM Adventure Seeker license plate frame. The car kit is amazing, it comes with about ten different items, I've only used four of them so far. This weekend I washed the car and tried out the tire shine. I also had one area with a small "scratch" that was about 3-4 inches but the Meguir's Scratch 2.0 took care of that with minimal effort. I was very impressed with how well the Interior Detail Cleaner worked. I was concerned with cleaning the matte black dash and having it looking streaky or oily but this stuff didn't cause any of that :) Before buying my car I did buy the 303 interior cleaner and a bottle of the UV protectant. I'll try the 303 interior cleaner next time and see which I like best. My plates came in a few days ago and the dealership installed them with the new frames my wife bought me. I dig how they look and think it goes well with the Onyx trim. Lastly, I installed my TxTag toll tag on the front license plate. Because of the Subaru EyeSight I got the front sensor instead of putting a sticker in the center of the window. Not a huge fan of how it looks or the price, but still better than another sticker on the window. It was $45 for the **** thing! They say $35 of that is a deposit and if I return it undamaged when I am finished with it I will get a refund. By the time I'm done with this thing, it will be outdated LOL

Does anyone have any car cleaning tips or product suggestions? I'll be honest I haven't hand washed my cars in years. I Always did it the lazy way and went to drive-thru car washes 😬 Now that I have this beautiful thing I plan on washing her myself all the time :)

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition XT Autumn Green Metallic
125 Posts
I had the great honor of owning this car - a 1962 Porsche 356 Twin Grill Roadster. It was as black as a black hole and looking at it would smudge the paint. The restorer required that I learn how to detail it properly inside and out before allowing me to take ownership, so I had to fly from Boston to LA for a detailing boot camp. It was incredible how meticulous he was and once I brought the car home, I understood why. Even a single scratch on flawless paint is noticeable. I learned from one of the best and it all comes down to one extremely important thing: meticulous, maniacal cleanliness. Everything that touches the car must be clean. All wiping must always be done front to back or vice versa, no exceptions. Anything that touches the paint must be clean, rinsed and, with the exception of the California Brush and drying towels, be sopping wet and as sudsy as possible.

In a nutshell, here are the key things he taught me:

Car Washing Tips
  1. Never let any of your equipment (brushes, microfiber wash mitt, microfiber clothes, chamois, California Brush, etc) touch the ground. If something does, swap it with a clean one. Throw throw the soiled one away or use it only for wheels - no kidding if you own a black or dark blue car.
  2. Don't wash in direct sunlight as it causes the soapy water to dry out leaving residue on the car. If you must wash in direct sun, mist the car often as you wash so it is always wet.
  3. Use 2 buckets (How To: The Two-Bucket Wash Method). If you are fanatic, use a 3rd bucket dedicated to wheels only. I do use the false bottoms in my buckets so the wash mitt can never come in contact with grit that settles out. Never put the wash mitt/pad into the soapy water without rinsing it thoroughly in the clean water bucket first - every time.
  4. Start from the top of the car and work down and front to back.
  5. If the car is not caked in mud, salt, tree sap, etc use a scratchless brush like a California Duster (dedicated to only exterior paint) to remove dust and light debris. Always brush front to back (or vice versa) and never in circles or crosswise. This is especially important with black cars.
  6. If the car is caked in mud, etc, shame on you! Or, you have a daily driver so gently spray with water from the top down to soften everything up. Spray multiple times and let it soak if it's really bad. Remember, even mud running down the side of the car is abrasive; the idea is to get abrasive stuff off the car with as much lubricant (soapy water) before touching it with a microfiber mitt to wash
  7. Use a microfiber mitt (or pad on a telescopic pole) and dunk it in the bucket of clean water to rinse before dunking it in the soapy water bucket. Use an automotive paint detergent - they all work well and don't damage paintwork. Go top down and rinse the mitt/pad in the second clean bucket after every before every dunk in the soapy bucket. Again, the idea is to get any grit off the microfiber so it doesn't scratch your paint as you apply detergent. Please don't use a sponge! Please.
  8. Always swipe with the microfiber mitt from front to back (or vice versa) and never in circles or crosswise. This is especially important with black cars to minimize swirl marks and microscratches.
  9. Don't scrub or use excess pressure with the mitt/pad and use plenty of soapy water.
  10. Wash wheels last and use a dedicated mitt and/or spoke brush for them and a dedicated bucket if you are fanatic.
  11. Finally, dry the car. Again, top down. Microfiber towels are preferred. Use lots of them. Wash and dry them without dryer sheets and store in ziplock bags.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
385 Posts
It will move the wheels out 20MM (less than an inch) but can tell you from experience it will look better. OEM setup does not have enough offset and have the sunken look.
I have had them on my WRX and Porsche with no problems. Don t want this to start the argument about what they can hurt. IMO, nothing if installed right, right product for the application.
Garagline sells a quality set of 4 for about $200 and can be self installed. Its good if you don t want to upgrade wheels. All upgraded wheels have more offset for a better look. If I find my WRX link with pics I ll add it on here.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I had the great honor of owning this car - a 1962 Porsche 356 Twin Grill Roadster. It was as black as a black hole and looking at it would smudge the paint. The restorer required that I learn how to detail it properly inside and out before allowing me to take ownership, so I had to fly from Boston to LA for a detailing boot camp. It was incredible how meticulous he was and once I brought the car home, I understood why. Even a single scratch on flawless paint is noticeable. I learned from one of the best and it all comes down to one extremely important thing: meticulous, maniacal cleanliness. Everything that touches the car must be clean. All wiping must always be done front to back or vice versa, no exceptions. Anything that touches the paint must be clean, rinsed and, with the exception of the California Brush and drying towels, be sopping wet and as sudsy as possible.

Gorgeous Porsche - a jewel...and that's why you drive the Outback and it's not black.

781 - 800 of 894 Posts