Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 6th Gen Outback today?

1358504 10854
I figure every generation needs this thread.

So I'll begin:

I saw a 2020 Onyx today!
10781 - 10800 of 10855 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
how's the wind noise on it? why'd you choose that one over the yakima equivalent? i'm currently trying to decide between the two brands.
I picked this model because of other posts describing the perfect fit without front overhang, also because it was on sale and in stock.

It’s not sonically invisible, however, it’s a very modest addition of wind noise that is easy to forget about. Probably adds 15-20% if that.

·
Registered
V4 CYL 2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey
765 Posts
I discovered that the car isn't a fan of using Signal for phone calls. Not sure if it's a Subaru issue, Android, or universal as this was the first time I'd tried it. The car kept getting confused about what was going on. I had to answer the call on the phone but it then popped up on screen like a regular phone call, only showing my phone number. While I was on the call, I got a regular phone call which disrupted the SIgnal call. Declining the incoming call caused the Signal call to switch to the phone speaker despite showing BT as it's output. Additionally, the podcast I had been listening to started playing over the car audio.

Overall a frustrating experience.
I work in software and over the centuries (certainly feels like it) I have noticed many many changes.

It used to be we create the product, fully test it as much as we could and release it. What I mean by that is when you create something with an idea in mind of how it will be used, there are many variables that you will never think of. Because customers will use a product in a way that was not intended or use it slightly differently in a way that you didn't think of or could not test because you did not have that particular environment.

Over the years, QA became less and betas began going out to customers to "get their feedback" which meant "cheaper way to do QA".

Over time, customers wanted your product to work with X or Y or Z or any combination of those or all. So in order to deliver a product that integrates with pretty much everything out there, they start slapping things together. So what one part of the integration (let's say iPhone integration) returns an error code, that same code may be entirely different from the car or non-existent to the car. The car won't know how to handle it and things start going kaput.

Think of taking a bunch of children, loading them up on sugar and setting them loose in a toy store and try to keep them orderly and in a line from smallest to tallest. That is pretty much how these integrations are. You're asking to put two together and try to make them work together. You'll get there eventually but not without a lot of pains and frustration.

To make things worse, more features are added to the product to mask the other issues while you frantically try to fix those issues. Example: Let's put in a dummy light to warn you that at 37 degrees, roads may be icy (because we can't figure that out for ourselves) rather than do something useful and smooth out the phone integration or put in an actual permanent disabling of the ASS.

Just keep flooding corporate with your complaints. Don't rely on the dealer to do it for you. Your service advisor may think your complaint is certainly worth getting to corporate but there's always some upper manager somewhere that blocks that information and "Everything Is Awesome" gets reported from that upper manager to corporate. Seen it so many times throughout my career.

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT
1,317 Posts
What's signal, like a Whatsapp to make audio calls? I use the latter and it works fine off Carplay, haven't tried it via bluetooth. Does it do the same if you use Android auto? One way to weed at least one variable out.
Coming to edit as I just recalled seeing a similar behavior where it was confused between bluetooth or speaker (on my iphone) but it did continue to work over car speakers/mic.
As others have said, it's a messaging app. The main feature is that it's all end to end encrypted.

This was my first time using it in the car so I have no idea if it'll work the same with AA. I'll eventually get around to testing the various permutations to see where the source of the issue lies but I haven't had time. It was just something I wasn't expecting.

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT
1,317 Posts
I work in software and over the centuries (certainly feels like it) I have noticed many many changes.

It used to be we create the product, fully test it as much as we could and release it. What I mean by that is when you create something with an idea in mind of how it will be used, there are many variables that you will never think of. Because customers will use a product in a way that was not intended or use it slightly differently in a way that you didn't think of or could not test because you did not have that particular environment.

Over the years, QA became less and betas began going out to customers to "get their feedback" which meant "cheaper way to do QA".

Over time, customers wanted your product to work with X or Y or Z or any combination of those or all. So in order to deliver a product that integrates with pretty much everything out there, they start slapping things together. So what one part of the integration (let's say iPhone integration) returns an error code, that same code may be entirely different from the car or non-existent to the car. The car won't know how to handle it and things start going kaput.

Think of taking a bunch of children, loading them up on sugar and setting them loose in a toy store and try to keep them orderly and in a line from smallest to tallest. That is pretty much how these integrations are. You're asking to put two together and try to make them work together. You'll get there eventually but not without a lot of pains and frustration.

To make things worse, more features are added to the product to mask the other issues while you frantically try to fix those issues. Example: Let's put in a dummy light to warn you that at 37 degrees, roads may be icy (because we can't figure that out for ourselves) rather than do something useful and smooth out the phone integration or put in an actual permanent disabling of the ASS.

Just keep flooding corporate with your complaints. Don't rely on the dealer to do it for you. Your service advisor may think your complaint is certainly worth getting to corporate but there's always some upper manager somewhere that blocks that information and "Everything Is Awesome" gets reported from that upper manager to corporate. Seen it so many times throughout my career.
I've been doing software for quite a while as well(see my comment about all software being badly written in the software thread) so I'm quite familiar with all of what you said. One point, though. Software would have been done the same way previously if they had been able to easily distribute updates like today.

I'm not blaming anyone for what happened and eventually I'll poke at it and figure the root cause. I just wanted to relay a frustrating and unexpected experience in a what did you do thread.

·
Registered
22 Outback Onyx XT "Lord Vader"
166 Posts
Prepped the Kicker Tweeters for installation tomorrow. Used a Dremel to cut a channel as others have. It's a cleaner option than the washer, imho.
View attachment 554382
UPDATE: So I found I could not install the Subaru Kicker upgrade tweeters, without also channeling-out the other mounting hole as well. Plus, there are two small tabs on the underside that I believe act as guides for installation in the models the Subaru Kicker Tweeter upgrade kit is made to fit. They made lining up the speaker for mounting in my '22 OBOXT very, very difficult, so I cut them off and it was then an easy install.

So, I highly recommend cutting both mounting holes on the Kickers (when mounting in OBs) into open-ended channels, as well as definite removal the two small alignment tabs on the underside of each tweeter, it'll make install much, much easier as well as allow it to be fully flush. No further pics, as I was rushing to avoid losing light, after realizing I needed to make further modifications and scrambling to do so.

Oh, and sonically... the Kicker's are a big improvement, as some others have stated. (y)(y) The stock OEM tweeters made the highs so muddy, and I was getting used to not hearing the nuances like an indrawn breath or fingers dragging along strings with some chord changes in my Led Zep playlist. It was immediately noticeable and the overall sound of the audio system benefits so much by no longer being covered in acoustical mud by the super cheapo OEM (non-Kicker upgrade) tweeters and their sonically-challenged plastic cones.

The whole audio experience is now cleaner and crisper sounding for me. I guess noticeably better clarity is what I mean. Seriously, it's a small upgrade that has a large impact, that even my one-working ear can hear and is thankful for. In fact, I now kinda wish I'd pulled the OEM dash tweeters the day I brought Lord Vader home from the dealer. I honestly think they add nothing beneficial to the audio and only make a mess out of what the door speakers are trying to put out. (Those will also be upgraded eventually as well, but with this one small improvement, I can procrastinate on that and it won't suck so bad 'til I eventually do!) :rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another data point...

I installed the Subaru Kicker tweeters without modifying them or anything in the dash. After removing the speaker covers, unscrew plastic tweeters, unplug and reverse the process for the new ones.
Hmmm... very interesting... given it's well established the Genuine (made for) Subaru (by) Kicker upgrade tweeters weren't made to fit the OB, and as such, the mounting holes don't align with both threaded holes in the dash, that the OEM plasticrap tweeters used.

If you installed the Genuine Subaru Kicker Tweeter Kit part# H631SFJ101 and were able to sink both mounting screws into two holes in the dash and without using washers to "rig it" or modding the mounting holes on the tweeter body, then I'm afraid to inform you, good sir, that you've gone and sunk one screw on each tweeter, into the unthreaded, square holes that are found near the proper mounting holes, which are round. And aren't intended as optional mounting spots as they're not threaded and thus won't securely hold the screw.

The one thing I do know absolutely, is that you did not sink both mounting screws into the same two threaded round holes that the removed tweeters had been using, because the mounting holes in the above units that part number will get you, do not match those dash holes without modding or using washers.

And if you used one those square, unthreaded holes to munt each tweeter... you'll regret it when those screws vibrate loose. And regret it a hundredfold if one of said screws makes it's way into the void behind the entire dash. If the above part number is the same as the part number you ordered, and you didn't get sent something else, then you used one of the wrong mounting holes and it's going to become an issue eventually.

I'm not trying to beef with ya here, but I'm not tripping about the mounting holes, the mounting holes in the dash and the squared holes near them, and there are dozens of other posts in the Audio thread which bear out the different mounting hole locations on the upgrades as compared directly to the OEMs.
To quote the Dothraki... "It is known." shrug

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium
302 Posts
UPDATE: So I found I could not install the Subaru Kicker upgrade tweeters, without also channeling-out the other mounting hole as well. Plus, there are two small tabs on the underside that I believe act as guides for installation in the models the Subaru Kicker Tweeter upgrade kit is made to fit. They made lining up the speaker for mounting in my '22 OBOXT very, very difficult, so I cut them off and it was then an easy install.

So, I highly recommend cutting both mounting holes on the Kickers (when mounting in OBs) into open-ended channels, as well as definite removal the two small alignment tabs on the underside of each tweeter, it'll make install much, much easier as well as allow it to be fully flush.
I found the fender washer trick (actually plastic Delrin washers in my case,) and turning the tweeter 180 deg to allow the "tab" to match up with the dash mounting point worked perfect. There's plenty of harness to allow doing the 180 turn.. but glad to hear you got them in. Much better tweeters no doubt!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah the washer trick works well, and a nylon washer might do well to keep it tight without putting as much pinpoint pressure as a metal one might? Given the flex of a nylon washer vs the hard rigidity of a metal one... seems logical to assume. I just didn't want to add an extra part to the mounting equation if I didn't have to so altering the holes seemed my best alternative. And whatever works and stays working, is good enough! ;)

I shoulda mentioned my recommendation was largely for those not opting for the washer method, in that if one's gonna Dremel a hole into a channel, I rec doing both holes.

I will say that the two little tabs on the underside of each Kicker tweeter made lining it up in it's spot, flush-and-with-both-holes-in-line was very difficult until I sheared them off with a knife. Then the tweeters dropped in easier than a bean bag into a corn holing board! (or whatever that thing is called) 😁

All of this would largely be moot, if Subaru wouldn't restrict the Onyx XTs and OBWs from optioning that 12 speaker HK upgrade. 😒

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
165 Posts
Hmmm... very interesting... given it's well established the Genuine (made for) Subaru (by) Kicker upgrade tweeters weren't made to fit the OB, and as such, the mounting holes don't align with both threaded holes in the dash, that the OEM plasticrap tweeters used.

If you installed the Genuine Subaru Kicker Tweeter Kit part# H631SFJ101 and were able to sink both mounting screws into two holes in the dash and without using washers to "rig it" or modding the mounting holes on the tweeter body, then I'm afraid to inform you, good sir, that you've gone and sunk one screw on each tweeter, into the unthreaded, square holes that are found near the proper mounting holes, which are round. And aren't intended as optional mounting spots as they're not threaded and thus won't securely hold the screw.

The one thing I do know absolutely, is that you did not sink both mounting screws into the same two threaded round holes that the removed tweeters had been using, because the mounting holes in the above units that part number will get you, do not match those dash holes without modding or using washers.

And if you used one those square, unthreaded holes to munt each tweeter... you'll regret it when those screws vibrate loose. And regret it a hundredfold if one of said screws makes it's way into the void behind the entire dash. If the above part number is the same as the part number you ordered, and you didn't get sent something else, then you used one of the wrong mounting holes and it's going to become an issue eventually.

I'm not trying to beef with ya here, but I'm not tripping about the mounting holes, the mounting holes in the dash and the squared holes near them, and there are dozens of other mounting posts in the Audio thread which bear out the different mounting hole locations on the upgrades as compared directly to the OEMs.
To quote the Dothraki... "It is known."
The screws secured the speakers, I..e., they didn’t just spin, and they have been installed for over a year with no rattles.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
154 Posts
All of this would largely be moot, if Subaru wouldn't restrict the Onyx XTs and OBWs from optioning that 12 speaker HK upgrade.
Just skimming through these recent posts but now curious, so the HK system in the touring trim comes with the "Genuine Subaru Kicker Tweeter Kit" or is it an upgraded tweeter set but not necessarily the Kicker mentioned?

·
Registered
166 Posts
The screws secured the speakers, I..e., they didn’t just spin, and they have been installed for over a year with no rattles.
Sweet! They've held so far. Until they don't. Seriously, I hope yours stay put and tightly so, as long as you one the car, and for the next owner especially so.

H3ll, I really don't care if you installed both tweeters with chewing gum, sweat and a prayer. It's the fact that others who follow your devil-may-care attitude may not be so lucky, and suffer for it as result. That you insinuate I went thru needless steps, doubles my worry for anyone who goes by your singular experience.

Congrats, regardless, on the sonic upgrade, hope they're keeping you satisfied still.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Last night I went out and got my wife a new TV set for Christmas. I used the remote lift gate thingy and the kid at Best Buy popped it into the back of the car.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Great album :D

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring 2022 Forester Limited
166 Posts
Just skimming through these recent posts but now curious, so the HK system in the touring trim comes with the "Genuine Subaru Kicker Tweeter Kit" or is it an upgraded tweeter set but not necessarily the Kicker mentioned?
They are not the kicker mentioned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
They'd better be or there's a false advertising lawsuit waiting to happen. But yeah, the 12-speaker HK system should very well be all HK branded speakers, tweeters too.

10781 - 10800 of 10855 Posts