Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 6th Gen Outback today?

1460287 Views 11447 Replies 1019 Participants Last post by  Buddy
I figure every generation needs this thread.

So I'll begin:

I saw a 2020 Onyx today!
11341 - 11360 of 11448 Posts

· Registered
2022 Touring XT, formerly 2005 LL Bean
403 Posts
I updated the nav maps today. Before starting, I hooked up my NOCO 5 charger. Even so, the car shut off about 2/3 of the way through the update. So, restarted it and finished the job. It probably took about 90 minutes or so.

· Registered
2023 Outback Premium
140 Posts
I updated the nav maps today. Before starting, I hooked up my NOCO 5 charger. Even so, the car shut off about 2/3 of the way through the update. So, restarted it and finished the job. It probably took about 90 minutes or so.
I tried updating my maps using a USB drive with an update from the Map Downloader program, and the version number on the maps screen did update. However, the individual state maps did NOT update, in fact they all seemed to revert to the previous version. Any ideas?

edit: just answered my own question. The Subaru website and app apparently don't keep up with the wifi files. On the web/app the latest date says:

Publication date: 2022-11-09

But when I updated several states over wifi in the car the date was later than that. So the USB overwrote the newer files with older ones. WTH?

· Registered
2020 Outback Limited
912 Posts
Did you do the update in accessory mode or with the ignition on and engine off?

The battery drain is about 5 amps with ignition in accessory mode. With ignition on, but engine off, the battery drain is about 10 amps (lights, heated seats, HVAC all set to off).

The NOCO 5 provides 5 amps, so the battery is still being drained by 5 amps if the ignition is set to on with the engine off. I don't know if that is enough drain for the car to shut off automatically with the ignition on. If the charger could supply all 10 amps, the car will not ever turn off automatically with ignition on.

I do know that in accessory mode the car shuts off automatically after some preset time, no matter what the battery is doing. 10 or 20 minutes if I recall.

· Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
171 Posts
I tried updating my maps using a USB drive with an update from the Map Downloader program, and the version number on the maps screen did update. However, the individual state maps did NOT update, in fact they all seemed to revert to the previous version. Any ideas?
I also updated the maps (today) with a USB as you did, and found the same thing. I seem to recall that happening for the last update too, but I'm not sure how it got resolved. Maybe the engine has to be started and run for a while (it does say the updates will be applied at the next engine start, or something to that effect).

· Registered
2023 Outback Premium
140 Posts
I also updated the maps (today) with a USB as you did, and found the same thing. I seem to recall that happening for the last update too, but I'm not sure how it got resolved. Maybe the engine has to be started and run for a while (it does say the updates will be applied at the next engine start, or something to that effect).
I edited my original post above, might answer it?

· Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
171 Posts
Same here, and also with a battery tender hooked up, although it did shut down once (still too much current draw I guess, as was mentioned here earlier). I just turned it on again and resumed it and it completed. But still the discrepancy between the publication date for this latest update (Nov) and my individual map dates (Aug, from the previous update). If I update each individual map via wifi, then the date is Nov.

· Registered
'22 Outback Wilderness Magnetite Grey
123 Posts
I've changed oil on a lot of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Subaru. But the Corolla Oil Filter is one thing that I can never get off. I gave up after 1 hr trying (that felt like a long day of bicep/tricep/shoulder workout at the gym) and sent the Corolla to a local shop and they had to torch it up a bit to move with their couple-feet-long breaker bar to get it off. They told me that somehow, most Corolla are overtightened by dealers. We sold that car at the next oil change interval and got an Impreza :ROFLMAO: LoL
You really have to overcome the impulse to over tighten a fitting with a rubber seal. More likely to leak and as seen here difficult to remove later, once you get to the point of metal-on-metal contact.

· Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,382 Posts
Nearly put mine in a ditch just turning out of my complex this morning. I think as it crested the crown in the road the slushy snow allowed it to keep sliding down the other side (I was turning left) but I was able to recover it. I should have just put it back in the garage at that point but I persevered and made it to work where almost nobody else took the risk.

· Registered
2022 Onyx XT Abyss blue pearl
506 Posts
I had to look up "bling" in the urban dictionary. I think was used to call that "pimping" :p

The word "bling" refers to any unnecessary accumulation of metal or jewellery which impresses the simple-minded. Examples of bling-related activity include: driving a car with shiny platinum rims, arriving at a movie premiere in a hat made of glittering diamonds, or pointing at a big block of gold and cooing away for hours on end like an unforgivable moron whose mere existence ultimately cheapens us all. Bling is the single most shallow, boring and wilfully superficial cultural phenomenon ever to excite humankind, which is saying something for a species already hooked on internet poker.

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
398 Posts
I just dyno’ed the OB and it’s pulling about 25 more hp
I must have missed it…

What change(a) did you make which resulted in 25 more hp?

11341 - 11360 of 11448 Posts