Subaru Outback Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1318 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
237 Posts
I'm still amazed at how rare sightings of 2020's have been here in SE MA/RI. I've only seen 5 total on the road in near 4 months. Yet I swear 20% of the population in my town drives a Subaru.
On the north shore, they are everywhere. It doesn’t hurt that there are four dealers within 20 mins of my house, including one within walking distance.

·
Registered
2020 Black Outback Onyx XT
27 Posts
Swapped out the BFG KO2s 225/65/17 for the Falken Wildpeak Trails 235/65/17. Obviously a huge difference in road noise with these Wildpeaks with the less aggressive tread, felt the weight difference immediately and hoping to get a nice boost in MPG. They look awesome as well!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
226 Posts
So yeah only drove it a few miles today but figured I would post this comparison of my impressions against my old '18 Outback.

Pros:
1. Bigger than the '18.
2. Handles more nimbly.
3. Drives like an SUV. I felt my '18 drove more like a car. I'm also used to driving vans and trucks and big SUV's. Its a personal preference for me, others it may not mind.
4. They finally fixed the radio not turning off issue. If you turn off the radio and then stop and start the car, it stays off.
5. They fixed the gas cap door. The '18 had an issue in cold weather it would not open and you would have to pry it open. Now its just a push open door.

On the fence:
1. I'm short so my seat has to be more forward than others. Makes it hard to reach the seatbelt when its retracted.
2. Not used to the eyesight which is now standard on the 2020's. Probably will disable it.
3. Not used to the lane departure. Probably will disable it.
4. Stock tires are Yokohama Avid GT. Don't know anything about these tires. I will assume an upgrade from the Bridgestone Duelers that I never had any good luck with.

Cons:
Auto stop and start Hate this, wish I could disable it permanently. I live in a highly congested area, so this comes on very very frequently.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
325 Posts
So yeah only drove it a few miles today but figured I would post this comparison of my impressions against my old '18 Outback.

Pros:
1. Bigger than the '18.
2. Handles more nimbly.
3. Drives like an SUV. I felt my '18 drove more like a car. I'm also used to driving vans and trucks and big SUV's. Its a personal preference for me, others it may not mind.
4. They finally fixed the radio not turning off issue. If you turn off the radio and then stop and start the car, it stays off.
5. They fixed the gas cap door. The '18 had an issue in cold weather it would not open and you would have to pry it open. Now its just a push open door.

On the fence:
1. I'm short so my seat has to be more forward than others. Makes it hard to reach the seatbelt when its retracted.
2. Not used to the eyesight which is now standard on the 2020's. Probably will disable it.
3. Not used to the lane departure. Probably will disable it.
4. Stock tires are Yokohama Avid GT. Don't know anything about these tires. I will assume an upgrade from the Bridgestone Duelers that I never had any good luck with.

Cons:
Auto stop and start Hate this, wish I could disable it permanently. I live in a highly congested area, so this comes on very very frequently.
Disagree with #2. Which does not align with #1 #3.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Forgot to add, probably the biggest thing to get used to is the much larger center console and gear shift. Gear shift is higher up than the '18. The '18's center console was smaller. The '20 is more like a tablet. No biggie, just got to get used to it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Disagree with #2. Which does not align with #1 #3.

Maybe i'm using the term wrong. I just felt that the '20 handled better and more responsive than the '18. The '18 was very good, don't get me wrong. Just felt an improvement. But that's just my own personal experience.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
325 Posts
Maybe i'm using the term wrong. I just felt that the '20 handled better and more responsive than the '18. The '18 was very good, don't get me wrong. Just felt an improvement. But that's just my own personal experience.
Fair enough. I own a 2019, but did a long test drive of 2020. I felt my 2019 was more nimble around town, but the 2020 had a more secure handling feeling to it. Thanks for your insights and feedback.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
833 Posts
Forgot to add, probably the biggest thing to get used to is the much larger center console and gear shift. Gear shift is higher up than the '18. The '18's center console was smaller. The '20 is more like a tablet. No biggie, just got to get used to it.
I really like the higher console/ shifter. Creates a sportier and comfortable driving position and makes it easier to work the tablet(HU)

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
236 Posts
so a wrap up as to "what I've done" ... last week swapped out the OEM tires (got trade in credit as I only had 400 miles on them) and got the Falken Wildpeak A/T's and then the dealer finally got my OEM skidplates in stock and had them installed and went trail running and found a mud hole with the Mountain Roo AZ group. Then it was bath time! Tires are great, don't think (i hope not) used the skidplates

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm shocked that anyone could say the Gen 5 handled well...I've had a lot of cars, many German luxury (not performance), and my Subaru 2017 Limited was hands down the worst handling car I've ever owned...and that includes a few Prius.

The 2020 is like a different car altogether.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,043 Posts
(edit, sorry I always try to format the pics more compact, but they dont end up posting that way)

I had a friend going in Mammoth for the weekend - as a storm was hitting (Its been crap since December there). I decided to go up Saturday to board Sun and Mon. Well aware of how crazy things are getting, knew anything was possible. I got up there Saturday about 4PM, got my hotel and met my friend there. Not an hour later, the company that runs the ski resort (and about 15 others in the country announced a complete shut down of all resorts till further notice). haha DOH!
So we spent the night and just did some exploring Sunday among the many off road hot springs east of there in the caldera near by and then I drove back home. So empty and quiet out there in the high desert. Got to take her on some pretty rough roads. Only hit the engine guard once. lol
Whats nice is its so isolated up there from large populations it was easy to stay away from people, other than doing grocery shopping at the store in Mammoth - which was plenty stocked compared to whats happening in LA. It was a nice trip, however short. Some snow fell while I was there but most of the storm swept by more north to Lake Tahoe and Reno. For those that know the 395 and Mammoth - the Eastern Sierra up there was seriously lacking snow - even the storm barely hit mammoth and nothing past it east or south. That town has already had a tough season since December, now its shutting down completely. Like everywhere else, of course. But the lack of snow was shocking this time of year.

(almost 360 degree panorama - whole lot of open land. I know some of you live in such open rural places, but I live in LA, so this is a very nice change of scenery. )

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
66 Posts
Adjusted my headlights down about 3/4”. Maybe I won’t get flashed as much now.
If you have a pre Nov 19' built Limited or Touring, that is the "cure".
I have a Jan 2020 Touring, and I was getting flashed constantly. Factory height was 34" from 10ft. I lowered them to 33" and haven't been flashed once in the past month.

1141 - 1160 of 1318 Posts