Subaru Outback Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1649 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,168 Posts
My car was sideswiped and the paint held up fine, even though the metal was pushed in. I just used a synthetic clay pad (mothers) and the paint transfer came right off. Only the surface of the clear coat was mildly scuffed but still intact. Yes the paint is pretty good - although my roof has some (possibly pre-existing?) damage from bird droppings.

View attachment 481574
OH NO. Was this just recent??

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
OH NO. Was this just recent??
It was over a month ago - I filed a police report, and called the insurance company, expecting to need repainting. After taking the paint transfer off with the mother's speed clay and ONR as lubricant, and using turtle wax hybrid solutions polish, it looked fine, and I'd rather leave the factory paint intact than have some body shop spray it, so I declined to file the insurance claim.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I wanted to go fishing.. BUT all the beaches are closed... I don't want to pay $5,000. fine...So.. stay home and polish my car.
Fishing is open here but not allot of fish species are in season / arrived yet. ( I stay home and tie flies allot while waiting !) If you like fishing, and in particular the type of surf fishing that allot of HI presents, you might enjoy this.
The picture in my post above was taken at the mouth of a large bay and river system where it dumps into the Atlantic Ocean. It's always been a good fishing spot ( although shore access is abismal and controled by the "better than thou" locals). If you look closely at the center of the picture, you'll see the remains of an elaborate private fishing club from the 1800's. The following is an interesting read on this place that depicts a way of life long gone. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
166 Posts
I used to live in Oregon. I had both river and ocean fishing fun. In Pendleton I used to pay little extra to get the permit to fish in Indian reservations. Many native cutthroat and rainbow.... I caught few Salmon and steelhead in Clackamas and Tillamook bay. Not much good shore fishing here in Oahu. Big island still has few nice fishing spots. We used to have ferry system but not anymore... They are talking about bringing it back though. Then I can go fishing in Big island and I can drive my OB. But with this Corona junk, it may be another elusive dream.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
254 Posts
Fishing is open here but not allot of fish species are in season / arrived yet. ( I stay home and tie flies allot while waiting !) If you like fishing, and in particular the type of surf fishing that allot of HI presents, you might enjoy this.
The picture in my post above was taken at the mouth of a large bay and river system where it dumps into the Atlantic Ocean. It's always been a good fishing spot ( although shore access is abismal and controled by the "better than thou" locals). If you look closely at the center of the picture, you'll see the remains of an elaborate private fishing club from the 1800's. The following is an interesting read on this place that depicts a way of life long gone. Enjoy!
Thanks for the awesome view and history lesson. I like the read on that.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
254 Posts
So yeah only drove it a few miles today but figured I would post this comparison of my impressions against my old '18 Outback.

Pros:
1. Bigger than the '18.
2. Handles more nimbly.
3. Drives like an SUV. I felt my '18 drove more like a car. I'm also used to driving vans and trucks and big SUV's. Its a personal preference for me, others it may not mind.
4. They finally fixed the radio not turning off issue. If you turn off the radio and then stop and start the car, it stays off.
5. They fixed the gas cap door. The '18 had an issue in cold weather it would not open and you would have to pry it open. Now its just a push open door.

On the fence:
1. I'm short so my seat has to be more forward than others. Makes it hard to reach the seatbelt when its retracted.
2. Not used to the eyesight which is now standard on the 2020's. Probably will disable it.
3. Not used to the lane departure. Probably will disable it.
4. Stock tires are Yokohama Avid GT. Don't know anything about these tires. I will assume an upgrade from the Bridgestone Duelers that I never had any good luck with.

Cons:
Auto stop and start Hate this, wish I could disable it permanently. I live in a highly congested area, so this comes on very very frequently.
I completely forgot about one my other pet peeves on the '18. That came with a 400 CCA (I know its in the 400's just can't remember exactly) battery. The '20 has 620 CCA. I like the improvement as I am in a cold winter climate. Of course two things happened. We had no winter this past winter and I got my '20 in March.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Outback Premium
30 Posts
Today my OB took my daughter and I to secluded mountain hiking trails in our county where we could get away from the covid 19 mess going on for a few hours. We located a Confederate soldier grave and a USA soldier grave from the Swannanoa Gap Engagement, traveled some great trails and viewed some beautiful views.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
208 Posts
Cons:
Auto stop and start Hate this, wish I could disable it permanently. I live in a highly congested area, so this comes on very very frequently.

I did not read the entire thread to see if anyone mentioned a sticky disable for Auto SS, so here goes.

If you turn on the Front Manual Defrost fan, it will disable Auto SS. If you run your AC, selecting a mode that includes the windshield fans continues to permanently sticky disable Auto SS. I've done this successfully since the first week I owned my OB in January.

Even simpler, there is a guy in West Virginia who builds plug-in Auto SS disablers for domestic cars and is now selling one for Forrester with an OB solution coming "soon" (after testing).

The Forester Auto SS Eliminator

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,994 Posts
What do you guys use to clean the inside plastic and leather? Don't have an empty garage, so was thinking about getting ceramic coating applied from a detailer shop. But will wait until pandemic has subsided.
I have not owned a leather interior car before so I can't tell you how to take care of it. I have an Onyx so I have StarTex which I haven't had a reason to clean yet.

As for the other interior trim pieces, I use 303 on them as well. Just spray it on a microfiber towel and wipe down the interior trim pieces, dashboard etc. It helps immensely with protecting from UV damage to the plastic.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have not owned a leather interior car before so I can't tell you how to take care of it. I have an Onyx so I have StarTex which I haven't had a reason to clean yet.

As for the other interior trim pieces, I use 303 on them as well. Just spray it on a microfiber towel and wipe down the interior trim pieces, dashboard etc. It helps immensely with protecting from UV damage to the plastic.
Thanks, will order the 303 and their towels too. Anyone have a suggestion for cleaning the leather material? I have a Touring XT.

·
Registered
231 Posts

i ordered the 303 "3 in 1 Leather" cleaner since I was already on their website. I will see how that works.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks, will order the 303 and their towels too. Anyone have a suggestion for cleaning the leather material? I have a Touring XT.
My research shows that many use plain old Ivory brand soap and warm water. It reportedly does a great job on leather. I have the soap but have not needed it yet.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Finally finished putting ceramic coat on the front end with the clear bra. Doing dura dressing tire coating now. Suppose to last a loooong time and it requires a good bit of prep. Hope it lasts. I had to clean the tires 5 times before the suds were acceptably white.

trying to decide if it’s worth ceramic coating the rims

1281 - 1300 of 1649 Posts