Subaru Outback Forums banner

1741 - 1760 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
124 Posts
That some crappy gas mileage, hope you didn't run out of gas! :rolleyes:
It totally was horrible mileage and is by no means how I normally drive. He’s been filled up already, nowhere near empty.

The effortlessness of acceleration in normal driving the XT is magnificient!
It is. Such a huge difference from the 15 Limited OB I had. I’m going to try and leave the torque addiction to riding my motorcycle or when driving an electric car. 😉

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
It totally was horrible mileage and is by no means how I normally drive. He’s been filled up already, nowhere near empty.
That 6 mpg was instantaneous MPG, not average MPG. There's an inverse relationship between smiles per gallon and miles per gallon.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
391 Posts
Put the strut tower brace in. Easy install. Tools needed- 14mm deep socket, 5/8" extension, 5/8" socket, 5/8" universal adapter (optional), 5/8" wrench, torque wrench. You can use 1/4" as well if you have a 1/4" 14mm deep socket. It may work better as it will give you slightly more clearance against the cowl grille.

Step 1: Remove the two inner nuts on the strut tower on each side

Step 2: Line up both holes with the studs on one side. The other side will look like this:

Pull this side forward and flex brace so that the holes line up with the studs and push down. I first tried inserting the rears and flexing the front ones forward, but found it easier to do it this way.

Step 3: Thread and tighten rear nuts slightly. The easiest way I found to do this is to put the deep socket on the nut, push back on the cowl grille to give clearance, and insert either the extension or the universal on the socket. It's a big plastic piece and had enough give for me to fit the extension in. Repeat on the other side. Thread and tighten front nuts slightly once the rears are in.

Step 4: Tighten all nuts to 15 lb ft (was posted earlier in thread, someone correct me if I'm wrong). As you can see in this one, a regular 5/8" extension fits just fine on top of the socket in front of the cowl grille.

Done

Now I'd be lying if I said I noticed a big difference. It feels better, but the main thing I feel is a slightly crisper initial turn-in, but even that may be placebo. This car is so stiff that any changes are going to be minor.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
It feels better, but the main thing I feel is a slightly crisper initial turn-in, but even that may be placebo. This car is so stiff that any changes are going to be minor.
Thanks for the install pictures, notes, and your driving impressions! I'm a little disappointed that you didn't experience more clear-cut improvements. Did you have a chance to do fast corners or was it more of an around-the-block test?

I am used to taking corners in a WRX and in the Outback I have to turn gingerly in comparison - was hoping for more crispness and agility.

Something like stiff shocks make a night-and-day seat of the pants difference but strut bars need enough cornering forces that there's some chassis flex to resist. Even sway bars may not be noticeable unless you're cornering hard enough for weight transfer.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nothing too crazy. I took some highway ramps at a spirited speed to shake it out. Like I said, there's something going on up there, but not a whole lot. I'm not going to tell my wife, and she'll never notice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Decided to go on a drive on a USFS road in northern Georgia, complete with a couple of water crossings. While I miss my WRX at times, this is something that it just couldn't do.
View attachment 486070
View attachment 486071
Which trails did go venture down? I'm trying to figure out some of the good ones to plan a trip. I have seen local Subaru groups posting about Charlie's Creek, but that is all I know of.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,334 Posts
Put the strut tower brace in. Easy install. Tools needed- 14mm deep socket, 5/8" extension, 5/8" socket, 5/8" universal adapter (optional), 5/8" wrench, torque wrench. You can use 1/4" as well if you have a 1/4" 14mm deep socket. It may work better as it will give you slightly more clearance against the cowl grille.

Step 1: Remove the two inner nuts on the strut tower on each side
View attachment 486264 View attachment 486265

Step 2: Line up both holes with the studs on one side. The other side will look like this:
View attachment 486266

Pull this side forward and flex brace so that the holes line up with the studs and push down. I first tried inserting the rears and flexing the front ones forward, but found it easier to do it this way.

Step 3: Thread and tighten rear nuts slightly. The easiest way I found to do this is to put the deep socket on the nut, push back on the cowl grille to give clearance, and insert either the extension or the universal on the socket. It's a big plastic piece and had enough give for me to fit the extension in. Repeat on the other side. Thread and tighten front nuts slightly once the rears are in.
View attachment 486271

Step 4: Tighten all nuts to 15 lb ft (was posted earlier in thread, someone correct me if I'm wrong). As you can see in this one, a regular 5/8" extension fits just fine on top of the socket in front of the cowl grille.
View attachment 486267

Done
View attachment 486268

Now I'd be lying if I said I noticed a big difference. It feels better, but the main thing I feel is a slightly crisper initial turn-in, but even that may be placebo. This car is so stiff that any changes are going to be minor.
Looks good. Thanks for the write-up. I'm still waiting on word that mine is built and shipped. I did a 2 hr backroad drive to nowhere yesterday to enjoy the weather. I thought about this a few times. I look forward to trying it out myself. (p.s Great ride even if my Infotainment system crashed twice ..)

Upate: I got put in the Build Que 9 days ago so I emailed Nameless to ask if a) they could estimate a build date b) tell me if switching to Red would get me one faster. they have not even bothered to return my email two days latter) So much for customer service. I'll give it another week then cancel my order and go with another brand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks good. Thanks for the write-up. I'm still waiting on word that mine is built and shipped. I did a 2 hr backroad drive to nowhere yesterday to enjoy the weather. I thought about this a few times. I look forward to trying it out myself. (p.s Great ride even if my Infotainment system crashed twice ..)
I'd be curious to see how that would impact off-road dirivng. On pavement it sounds great but would it tighten things up too much when on gravel or trails? Isn't a little bit of flex okay to an extent?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'd be curious to see how that would impact off-road dirivng. On pavement it sounds great but would it tighten things up too much when on gravel or trails? Isn't a little bit of flex okay to an extent?
Good question! As a Mechanical Enginner, I would think (offhand) that some flex is desireable/ fine to reduce shock into the car. I'm also sure that there will still be flex ( in all 3 axis) remaining after the install of this point to point set of tubes. Just maybe a little less as the loads on the frame will be distributed diferentlly/ diverted. Maybe somebody that "off roads" can answer how it will effect the car in that environment better. Me? I'm going to be driving 97 % of the time on pavement . That other 3% is going to be on moderate dirt roads and beach's at "school zone" speeds. I'm not worried.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
My Auto Dimming Side Mirrors arrived ( and were installed) today . ( pn: J201SAN000) They were on my wish list from day one but my Limited didn’t come with this option. I found a NIB set on eBay at 40% of this week and figured “why not?”. Here are my first impressions.

• Installation: Install was pretty straight forward and in accordance with the tips I got here. Auto-dimming sidelights with approach lighting..disable...
  • Install was straight forward and took all of 15 min after reviewing the linked tutorials. ( 10 min for the firt mirror, 5 for the second) I struggled with whether or not to connect the LED Approach lights at first but figured it was easy enough to go back in if I found them annoying. Consequently, I connected all three circuits (Dimming, Heat and LED ). The connectors are all marked /sized so as not to be able to cross any wires. Very well designed!
  • Appearance: At first glance, the mirrors seem to be slightly tinted in the center while the edge is bright and clear. Otherwise, they look similar with the exception of the addition of the Subaru Logo LED and delete of the small heated mirror symbol.
  • Function: At night, they do what they claim. I deliberately drove slow tonight and lingered at stoplights just to get people to follow close behind me. No glare from headlights at all anymore. NICE!
  • I later stopped in a dark parking area and noted the LED Approach Lights project a decent amount of light down the side of the car and onto the ground . Beam coverage was from about mid front door to the rear bumper and maybe a few feet wide. None of the light was up and in my eyes when the mirrors were set to my profile. Again, there was no glare. It’s not a feature that I’ll use allot but I can see the light being handy when I return to a dark beach after a late night of fishing.
  • Other: I was a little disappointed that the LEDs don’t come on when I approach the car with the fob but they activate fine when I use the fob to unlock and or open a door/hatch. I knew going in that there is no way to easily shut off the LED approach lights via a menu setting. As it stands, the lights go on and off with the interior/dome/cargo lights. Since I tend to leave my rear hatch open in the garage ALLOT, the mirror LED’s (along with dome and Cargo lamps) shine for a full 20 min after the hatch opens until the car finally times out all the lights. This delay never bothered me before but now that I can see the brightly lit mirror LED on the outside….I kind of does . I know I could use the Carabina in the latch trick to turn the lights off but I’m lazy. Fortunately, I was just reading on page 298 of the Owner’s manual and it says the dealer can change that light delay timing. I have to go in for Infotainment Issues next week and am going to see if they can shorten that interior/mirror delay to go out at the 3 or 5 minute mark when I leave the hatch open.
Anyway, I’m pretty happy with the upgrade so far and would recommend it to anyone already having the Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror to pair them with.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
124 Posts
After driving to Tampa and Jacksonville the past two days Moon Knight needed a good wash. Foam cannon with Car-Pro Reset made the entire process very very easy. No more bug guts or dirty water spots!

Water beading is fun to watch. Passenger seat entertainment.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So looking at foam cannons since some of you mentioned using one as a prewash to wash your car. Do I need a pressure washer in order to get good results? If so, I am not getting one. Seen some on Amazon that can be used with a regular garden hose. Any brands work well for you? Even with a ceramic coating, I will still have to hand wash with a soft wash mitt, etc and then hand dry?

·
Registered
391 Posts
You need a pressure washer for a foam cannon. I have the tool daily brand from amazon and it works fine. I just spray the car down with the cannon, then scrub with wet microfibers and rinse/dry. That's with the ceramic coat.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I was browsing the Subaru Technical Information System (STIS) and discovered that an infotainment update is headed our way.

1741 - 1760 of 1796 Posts