Subaru Outback Forums banner

1781 - 1796 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got home from a 450 mile trip in my 2020 Outback base. Here are my perceptions:
The fuel economy is pretty good. I averaged over 33 MPG -including some stop and go driving.
The polished/black aluminum wheels on the Base and Premium models is shiny and attractive.
The basic instrumentation (speedometer, tachometer, fuel, coolant temp gauge) is very clear and legible.
The adaptive cruise control does what you would expect and the resume speed function can be set for gradual acceleration instead of an abrupt hard throttle application.
I love the heads up display for the lane departure warning. You can keep your eyes on the road instead of having to look down at the instrument panel to see what the alert is.
Interior is finished nicely, with a lot of soft touch materials
Dislikes:
The Auto Stop/Start is annoying. Not just in traffic, but also when I go to park the vehicle - The engine shuts off immediately when I come to a stop and then when I shift into Park, it restarts 1 second before I switch off the engine. What a STUPID system. Yes I know I can disable the auto start/stop, but I must do that every time I turn the ignition on, and I must go through a menu system to temporarily disable the system. This may cause me to discard this vehicle too quickly.
The black cladding on the front an rear bumpers is too extensive and it looks cheap.
The Base model twin screen infotainment displays require taking your eyes off the road to operate. Real buttons would be better. There is no way to back out of some menus without shutting off the system.
The radio I can ignore, but the climate control settings are too complicated and, again require you to take your eyes off the road. One saving grace: there is a one touch hard button that will turn on the front window defogger at full blast to quickly clear a fogged up windshield.
I find the driver's seat to be uncomfortable for long trips. The Base model does not have a power seat, and there is no lumbar adjustment.
On part of my trip The Yokohama AVID GT tires seemed to cause the Outback wander in my lane even with the auto lane centering engaged. I don't know if it was the road surface or a cross wing that caused this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a 2020 Limited and love the car. With the engine auto start and stop on I found out if you approach stopped traffic and brake as usual and stop just let up slightly on the brake peddle and the car will remain running and stopped. If you fully press the brake down the auto start and stop is activated as designed.Takes a little practice but works for me.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Onyx XT 2020
45 Posts
I added another 150km of countryside roads. 450km in 3 days with my brand new car. So far, loving it! :D

My head unit doesn't seem to have the issue with equalizer being reset each time.

The only issue I've seen so far is AA that stop playing my phone music after a Bluetooth call. I had to reconnect the USB cable. Still running 503 version.

I've done mostly road driving so I haven't disabled auto start/stop. In fact, I find it useful on red lights and I think I've found the good amount of brake pressure to let the engine running when I don't want it to stop.

Coming from a Forester XT, I enjoy everything about that car. The power delivery (throttle) being the only thing I still need to get used to. It's different which doesn't mean bad or good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took mine for a road trip from New Hampshire to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 1200 miles out and 1200 miles back, within a week. It was a fantastic road trip car for four of us. Got about 26 miles to the gallon with the turbo, super comfortable, and not a single issue. I'm so happy with this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 ABP Touring XT
19 Posts
Picked up my ABP Touring XT last week and just had the dealer install the OEM hitch and also replace the silver bumperette with the black one for added continuity. Very happy with the install/result!

·
Registered
2020 ABP Touring XT
19 Posts
^^^. Nice, so what color is the front bumper then ?
Still silver. I don’t think it’s as easy to replace the little bumperette as the rear is. At least I haven’t read up anything on here. And the diagrams on the parts website weren’t helpful.

I may just platidip it. Which in general I’m not a fan of, but it’s the front bumper and will get chipped up over the years anyways.

1781 - 1796 of 1796 Posts