Subaru Outback Forums banner

1781 - 1800 of 2005 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got home from a 450 mile trip in my 2020 Outback base. Here are my perceptions:
The fuel economy is pretty good. I averaged over 33 MPG -including some stop and go driving.
The polished/black aluminum wheels on the Base and Premium models is shiny and attractive.
The basic instrumentation (speedometer, tachometer, fuel, coolant temp gauge) is very clear and legible.
The adaptive cruise control does what you would expect and the resume speed function can be set for gradual acceleration instead of an abrupt hard throttle application.
I love the heads up display for the lane departure warning. You can keep your eyes on the road instead of having to look down at the instrument panel to see what the alert is.
Interior is finished nicely, with a lot of soft touch materials
Dislikes:
The Auto Stop/Start is annoying. Not just in traffic, but also when I go to park the vehicle - The engine shuts off immediately when I come to a stop and then when I shift into Park, it restarts 1 second before I switch off the engine. What a STUPID system. Yes I know I can disable the auto start/stop, but I must do that every time I turn the ignition on, and I must go through a menu system to temporarily disable the system. This may cause me to discard this vehicle too quickly.
The black cladding on the front an rear bumpers is too extensive and it looks cheap.
The Base model twin screen infotainment displays require taking your eyes off the road to operate. Real buttons would be better. There is no way to back out of some menus without shutting off the system.
The radio I can ignore, but the climate control settings are too complicated and, again require you to take your eyes off the road. One saving grace: there is a one touch hard button that will turn on the front window defogger at full blast to quickly clear a fogged up windshield.
I find the driver's seat to be uncomfortable for long trips. The Base model does not have a power seat, and there is no lumbar adjustment.
On part of my trip The Yokohama AVID GT tires seemed to cause the Outback wander in my lane even with the auto lane centering engaged. I don't know if it was the road surface or a cross wing that caused this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a 2020 Limited and love the car. With the engine auto start and stop on I found out if you approach stopped traffic and brake as usual and stop just let up slightly on the brake peddle and the car will remain running and stopped. If you fully press the brake down the auto start and stop is activated as designed.Takes a little practice but works for me.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Outdoor XT 2020
70 Posts
I added another 150km of countryside roads. 450km in 3 days with my brand new car. So far, loving it! :D

My head unit doesn't seem to have the issue with equalizer being reset each time.

The only issue I've seen so far is AA that stop playing my phone music after a Bluetooth call. I had to reconnect the USB cable. Still running 503 version.

I've done mostly road driving so I haven't disabled auto start/stop. In fact, I find it useful on red lights and I think I've found the good amount of brake pressure to let the engine running when I don't want it to stop.

Coming from a Forester XT, I enjoy everything about that car. The power delivery (throttle) being the only thing I still need to get used to. It's different which doesn't mean bad or good.

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
275 Posts
Finally scheduled my 6 month service (2 months late, dang it again covid) and got this photo emailed to me with the appointment reminder. I swear they lowered that OB pictured, cuz it looks like a reeallly long Impreza hatchback to me!
View attachment 486707
I received the same photo for my first oil change on July 10th!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took mine for a road trip from New Hampshire to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 1200 miles out and 1200 miles back, within a week. It was a fantastic road trip car for four of us. Got about 26 miles to the gallon with the turbo, super comfortable, and not a single issue. I'm so happy with this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 ABP Touring XT
29 Posts
^^^. Nice, so what color is the front bumper then ?
Still silver. I don’t think it’s as easy to replace the little bumperette as the rear is. At least I haven’t read up anything on here. And the diagrams on the parts website weren’t helpful.

I may just platidip it. Which in general I’m not a fan of, but it’s the front bumper and will get chipped up over the years anyways.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,646 Posts
My Nameless Strut Tower Brace arrived so I installed it today . Thinking “How bad can a 4 bolt job be?,” I just dove in. (Nameless doesn’t give any instructions with the part but I had read a few install notes a couple fo weeks back.) Turns out it was a learning experience! I’ll add it here for those who may follow:

So after getting the 4 strut nuts off and the tower lowered over the studs (tapped in with a rubber mallet) in 10 min, I thought I was golden. Two front nuts went on like nothing too. Nice!

…… Fast forward nearly an hour latter I still could not get either of the rear nuts to start on either of the stud shaft threads! No mater what I did. No mater what tools I brought to bare. No matter how foul my cussing became. … Turns out that the studs in those rear positions come up at an angle through the center of the mounting cone tube towards the A pillar. This puts the top of the stud off center (as looking down into the tube) and within a 1/8” or so of the wall of the tube in the 2 o’clock position. This doesn’t allow enough room to get a even a thin walled socket on the new nut and get it all aligned with and bite onto the thread. (Wish I had a picture here.) Finally, I gave up.

Plan B: Go back and read Rfuree11’s detailed install notes and start over. (Plan C was going to involve boxing it up and shipping it back to Nameless!)

What did you do with your 6th Gen Outback today?

So using these notes, I was able to get both front and rear nuts started on the passenger side strut studs. Next, I went over to the driver’s side and pulled hard enough to flex those two tubes over the studs. It then took some gentle tapping to get the tubes to seat . As expected, the front nut went on with no issues. 3 nuts installed, one to go! However, That right rear nut, was still as stubborn as ever. Again, there was just not enough room with this last position to get a socket in and align the nut opening with the stud. Given there was no way to grab the top of the new (rounded/domed) nut, I ended up attaching the nut to the end of a ¼” extension wish tome duct tape. (see picture) This gave me a little extra flexibility and took the thickness of the socket wall out of the equation. A couple of minutes later, while turning the extension with my right hand, and pulling on the bar with my left, I finally got the nut to bite for a thread or two.

Still though, I was unable to get a socket to cover the nut for tightening. Again, there just wasn’t enough room to slide it in. Next, I jacked the driver’s side of the car up a bit in hopes of flexing the body and gaining me a few ten thousandths relief in the tube. It seemed to work as now the socket would grab the top of the nut but quickly slid off after just a couple of turns. Smelling success, I used the mallet to tap (with authority) the extension and socket down onto the nut enough for it to hold. That did it and I was then able to fully tighten that back nut. Once I got that nut bottomed out, there was enough room to lift the socket out. Finally, I lowered the car and torqued all nuts to 15 ft-lbs. I have to say, it looks good!

Install Summary: I don’t know if my car (or brace) was typical but it was a SOB to install this thing! The smooth topped nut design makes it worse too. If they had put a ¼” hex/square or even a Allen head on the top of nut, it would help ALLOT with getting the nuts started. As the nuts are designed now, I was fighting with it near two hours (although I suspect I could do another one in1/3 the time now that I figured out some tricks.)

Now for some test driving! I'll update with my performance thoughts soon.

Update on the Nameless Strut Tower Install; I just came in from an hour of driving around local back roads. I tended to drive them, a little more aggressively than I normally would,(particularly in the twisty areas) but not so much that I would cause any safety concerns for the locals. My average driving speeds were between 40 and 60 mph with slowing and accelerating through corners as I saw fit. ( I’m running my factory tires at 40 and 38# Front to back, BTW)
So my initial impression is that there is a noticeable improvement in steering and handling. It’s not like the OB handles like a sports car now but it does respond to the wheel quicker and with less perceived body roll through aggressive turns . If I had to put a number on it, I’d say the car feels 10-15% more responsive in what I was doing with it. The improvement is particularly noticeable in the first 20deg or so of steering wheel movement where the car just seems to react faster. (None of these parameters were measured. It’s just pure perception on my part. Your impressions may vary. ) Oh yea, it did need a re-torque after some driving but not allot. Bottom line: Our Outback’s are already pretty stiff but I can feel a difference the brace delivers. I think it’s a good match for the car actually. It doesn’t really change the luxury feel and comfortable ride of the car, it just makes it feel a little sportier in how it reacts to input. For Less than $200, I think it’s a keeper that will be enjoyed for miles to come!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,646 Posts
@RocketMan20 all of the good projects seem require language to make a sailor blush.
Funny, I used to work with submarine sailors on installations , repairs and maintenance. You have no idea how foul mouthed one can can get until you try to take a saltwater soaked stainless screw out of a corroded aluminum missile simulator ( Usually in the dead of winter on a remote waterfront pier, with the the underway clock ticking!!) Those guys start talking in tongues!🤬

·
Registered
2020 outback onyx xt
26 Posts
So today i made the 1/2 drive to Subaru of Ontario to get the software update and address an issue with the molding on the bottom of the drivers door which keeps coming loose.
When i arrive and wait for 20 minutes i finally get told that due to a covid outbreak they sent 13 techs home to get tested and that they wouldn't be able to do anything. Now i understand that no one is to blame for people getting sick,someone dropped the ball by not contacting people who had appointments. I was not the only one who they turned away and one lady was really upset. I think I will look for another dealer for any further issues.

1781 - 1800 of 2005 Posts