Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
FWIW - In most jurisdictions - certainly Oregon - it's not legal to record audio without consent. Video is OK though.

If it had not gone so well and a car owner attempted to use this information to claim damages or whatever, the evidence would be thrown out, even small claims.

If this technique is going to be routinely used to keep service tech honest, disable the microphone. Then you're safe.
I don't doubt you for OR but Federal and WV law makes it a single party consent state. Per 18 USC § 2511(2)(d) and W. Va. Code Ann. § 62-1D-3

I would also like to see some precedent regarding recording your own property being against the law.

I don't plan to do this a lot but like I said I was curious.

I don't feel I was breaking any laws but for future reference however I would love to know if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
FWIW - In most jurisdictions - certainly Oregon - it's not legal to record audio without consent. Video is OK though.

If it had not gone so well and a car owner attempted to use this information to claim damages or whatever, the evidence would be thrown out, even small claims.

If this technique is going to be routinely used to keep service tech honest, disable the microphone. Then you're safe.
I don't think that was his intent, but thanks for the info...

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Got a check engine light!

P0301 P0302.

Wife said it was down on power.

I cleared the codes and drove it but it seemed fine.

It had a full tune up/head gasket/timing belt job done when we bought it.

Will investigate further.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Champion plugs seem to be the cause of the problem.

Replaced with NGK FR5AP and NGK 8691 FX58 wires to go with it.

Really like the wires actually. They're much thicker and they're labelled for each individual cylinder.

Car runs great now! We took it to the river and let the dog hop in the water.

·
Super Moderator
25,275 Posts
Champion plugs seem to be the cause of the problem.

Replaced with NGK FR5AP and NGK 8691 FX58 wires to go with it.

Really like the wires actually. They're much thicker and they're labelled for each individual cylinder.

Car runs great now! We took it to the river and let the dog hop in the water.
you had champ lawn mower plugs in there ALL this time.

vs.

tossing them in the first week of ownership?

:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
you had champ lawn mower plugs in there ALL this time.

vs.

tossing them in the first week of ownership?

:surprise:
When we bought it it had just had an engine over haul. Plugs, wires, timing belt, pulleys, head gaskets, etc.

I hadn't looked since it was all documented. I guess I need to check the receipts and see what other junk parts they used.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Installed heated seats.

I used a Dorman 628-040 Universal Kit

It was pretty straight forward. Remove seat, remove cloth, sticky the heating elements down, install wiring harness. Reinstall.

I used an add a fuse to tap the rear wiper/sprayer fuse. The baja has neither a rear wiper nor a rear sprayer. So I think the fuse panel was just a carry over from the Outback of that era.

Once I confirmed the heated seats worked I used a factory heated seat switch insert and switches from an 02-04 Outback to replace the switch that came with the Dorman Kit.

It now looks all factory. Works pretty well! I measured it about 80 degrees after 5 minutes.

The only downside is the illumination on the switch won't work as that needed tied into the cars harness to know when the lights are on and the switch that came with the kit had no such thing.

I also took a few minutes and installed LED lights for the blinkers, in the rear, in the front, (fun fact: the Baja has two two indicator bulbs in the front) an LED relay to fix the hyper flash, and LED license plate bulbs.

Going to spray it and my 3.6 down with fluid film here soon to hopefully ward off the rust. It's still a really sharp car for being 13 years old.

·
Super Moderator
25,275 Posts
Installed heated seats.

I used a Dorman 628-040 Universal Kit

It was pretty straight forward. Remove seat, remove cloth, sticky the heating elements down, install wiring harness. Reinstall.

I used an add a fuse to tap the rear wiper/sprayer fuse. The baja has neither a rear wiper nor a rear sprayer. So I think the fuse panel was just a carry over from the Outback of that era.

Once I confirmed the heated seats worked I used a factory heated seat switch insert and switches from an 02-04 Outback to replace the switch that came with the Dorman Kit.

It now looks all factory. Works pretty well! I measured it about 80 degrees after 5 minutes.

The only downside is the illumination on the switch won't work as that needed tied into the cars harness to know when the lights are on and the switch that came with the kit had no such thing.

I also took a few minutes and installed LED lights for the blinkers, in the rear, in the front, (fun fact: the Baja has two two indicator bulbs in the front) an LED relay to fix the hyper flash, and LED license plate bulbs.

Going to spray it and my 3.6 down with fluid film here soon to hopefully ward off the rust. It's still a really sharp car for being 13 years old.
did you think of transferring whole leathers or heated cloth seats from a 2000-2004 outback, or legacy?

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
did you think of transferring whole leathers or heated cloth seats from a 2000-2004 outback, or legacy?
I did. This seemed easier.

I would need the OEM wiring harness as the Baja didn't seem to have it.

I would still have to figure out how to get the elements over from the legacy/outback seats as the Baja's with leather have Baja specific engraved seats that the wife (nor I) would ever want to get rid of.

·
Super Moderator
25,275 Posts
I did. This seemed easier.

I would need the OEM wiring harness as the Baja didn't seem to have it.

I would still have to figure out how to get the elements over from the legacy/outback seats as the Baja's with leather have Baja specific engraved seats that the wife (nor I) would ever want to get rid of.
if you look at lockmedic's baja turbo resurrection

you can see the pic here of his DIY switch for heated seats, with its dial settings:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/186-baja/116537-finally-got-baja-05-turbo-5mt-3.html#post1497121

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
if you look at lockmedic's baja turbo resurrection

you can see the pic here of his DIY switch for heated seats, with its dial settings:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/186-baja/116537-finally-got-baja-05-turbo-5mt-3.html#post1497121
Those are 08 GT seats with 08 switches to go along with them.

I'll snap a pic when I get a chance. Apparently only Turbo AND Automatic Bajas got heated seats.

Not sure I'll bother with heated mirrors and windshield, I like them but they're a lot more of a pain (especially if the wiring harness is not there)

Might get a remote start for christmas though.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Picture of the switches.

It's really the only thing you see with adding heated seats since everything else is hidden and I didn't think to get any pictures of me doing it.

I realize it's not the same color but it still matches the other trim pieces so it's fine.

The whole system works great.

She actually can't run it that long in the high setting without it getting too hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need parts!

Can you guys help me find some used parts? Trying to make a sweet outback/Baja hybrid, and need to find used baja fenders that extend beyond the outback fenders. Also hoping to find a baja hood with an oem scoop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Baja parts are hard to come by locally. I've only seen one in a junkyard in my area in the last 8 months. You might try looking on classifieds or using car-part.com to locate parts cars near you.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Anybody home? I’m trying to find a write up on how to wire in my heated windshield before winter. I had one bookmarked somewhere but now I can’t find it.
Maybe here?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Early next week going to power wash the caked on mud off the chassis, and apply fluid film going into the first winter in my 03 Baja. Also need to order some Husky heavy mats for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Anybody home? I’m trying to find a write up on how to wire in my heated windshield before winter. I had one bookmarked somewhere but now I can’t find it.
Check my VDC Baja build thread. I have pretty good pictures of the entire dash wiring harness.

If I remember right the wire for the heated windshield is at the bottom of the A pillar.

It's funny though. I have the wiring but not the windshield. Waiting for a reason to replace it.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Maybe here?
Oops. Wasn’t sure if I had asked about it or not. I really don’t care for the new forum layout so I’ve been keeping my distance.

Check my VDC Baja build thread. I have pretty good pictures of the entire dash wiring harness.

If I remember right the wire for the heated windshield is at the bottom of the A pillar.

It's funny though. I have the wiring but not the windshield. Waiting for a reason to replace it.
Pro tip: have somebody else break it so they pay for it. I was quoted the same price for either piece of glass from the place that did mine. The gasket sucks though.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts