Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do??

I think I have a small leak from it. So what exactly does it do, and where can i get a replacement?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Allows the intake air to be warmed.
It also feeds the IACV letting it know when the engine reaches operating temp and adjusts the idle accoringly.
Any heater type hose of the right diamater will suffice.

O.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
if they have tight bends in them they are best to get from the dealer. you can use regular hose just fine, just get a piece much longer as you'll need the length to approximate the bends without kinking.

Allows the intake air to be warmed.
don't know if i matters but it's not to warm the air, it allows the throttle body and mechanisms to be warmed to keep the plate, cables, etc freemly operating and not gummed up in cold climates.

you can remove the throttle hoses, i do it all the time if i have a motor already apart. fewer hoses, fewer clamps, fewer points of failure = more reliable and less maintenance (though they rarely fail). though i've never done it to an EJ engine yet as i've never had to remove one.

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
if they have tight bends in them they are best to get from the dealer. you can use regular hose just fine, just get a piece much longer as you'll need the length to approximate the bends without kinking.
This is the interesting part about the OE part. If you pull the line off the car, it will be shaped like an "S" more or less. The new part will be shaped like an "L." I went back and forth at the dealer because I thought they kept giving me the wrong part. We checked multiple years and models and they're almost all the same. You need to just bend the hose for the second 90 degree bend. It would be easier and cheaper to just get some bulk hose. The sad part was none of the parts guys had ever heard of anyone replacing them; but the dealership will try and upsell radiator hoses when they're old.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,815 Posts
They aren't really trying to upsale. If the throttle body hose has deteriorated to the point it leaks, its a good likelihood that the other hoses are deteriorated also. You can't see the inside of the hose until its removed either with maintenance or a failure.

It is recommended that all hoses be replaced every 7 years. That's about the time it takes for them to soften.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts