Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what this is. Sorry for the ghetto pic quality, my digital camera is dying and I'm surprised I could get one this clear indoors.

I just acquired my 2002 Subaru OBS with stock 16s and the stock 17s on my 2004 Mazda 6s have the *exact same stamp* on them. Does it indicate the same manufacturer? Or is it some Japanese "mark of excellence" or other generic designation? It looks like "TIC" joined together (or perhaps "JIL" If I'm viewing it upside down)... The Subaru is Japanese made and the Mazda is US made, inciting my curiosity.

as always - just wondering.
-Peter
(Subie Newbie)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I don't know what it means, but I'm 99% sure Enkie makes stock Subaru rims. Brian

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
From memory, it's a type of standard that applies to the rim. In other words the mark means that it's made to meet a particular standard.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had one other Japanese car, but that was like 15 years ago. I've been informed over on a Mazda board that that stamp appears pretty much on all Japanese-made wheels.

Still not sure what it means, but it's not the spooky coincidence I thought it was that I had it on my 2 random Japanese cars.

thanks
-Peter

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
My Aus MY04 3.0R Premium has that marking on it's wheels also.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
the Japanese "JIL" refers to its auto standards body (or approval therefrom, a little rusty on my Japanese)....equivalent to the US "SAE" or German "TUV". i think it;'s an indep stds organization, not a branch of the Japanese gummint like "DOT" is, but not sure on that either. anyway, it should be on ALL wheels made in japan.

and yes, Enkei makes the OEM wheels for many many Jap vehicles, motorcycles as well as cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts