Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Could you please tell me what does this button do? I can't find my manual and pressing the button doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

When it's pressed, the small LED turns on, but again, it doesn't seem to be make any difference. So what's its role?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Isn't that a rear window defroster/defogger?

·
Registered
'06 OBXT 5EAT 1.5" lift, stage 1 tune
49 Posts
That's for the heated side rear view mirrors, and I believe it also controls the heating elements under the front wipers if you have them.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
It's just for the heated wipers. The mirrors are linked to the rear defroster. Or maybe the mirrors turn on when either button is pressed.

Regardless, it's not the rear window defroster. That's located under the front defroster to the right of the climate screen.

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
st3mpy has it -- it's for the "wiper deicer", or more correctly, for the heater that warms the bottom of the windshield where the wipers normally park (stop).

The outside mirror heaters work with the rear window defroster. (Think "looking back").

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
It's just for the heated wipers. The mirrors are linked to the rear defroster. Or maybe the mirrors turn on when either button is pressed.

Regardless, it's not the rear window defroster. That's located under the front defroster to the right of the climate screen.
thescaryninja forgot to mention which OB does he have ... what year, that is! If he has an Outback at all ... LOL

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
st3mpy has it -- it's for the "wiper deicer", or more correctly, for the heater that warms the bottom of the windshield where the wipers normally park (stop).

The outside mirror heaters work with the rear window defroster. (Think "looking back").

This, and its previous post. But don't expect instantaneous miracles with this button in cold weather.

I do like, however, SubieSailor's thought about the ejection seat... HPH

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6, 97,700 miles.
14 Posts
This was one of the features that sold me on this car versus the other I was looking at. Last week I drove my parents Suburban, and then my Outback back to back. What a difference! The wipers were all iced and worthless on the `Burban yet my Subie wipers were iceless! Great idea, not sure why more cars don't have it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I can hardly see any difference whenever I turn it on. Today, for instance, I pressed it just after I started the engine, together with the front/rear defogger.

So how exactly does it work? Isn't the front defogger supposed to heat the bottom of the windshield as well?

@jogosub I actually do have a 2006 Outback, that's why I am posting here lol.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Well, I can hardly see any difference whenever I turn it on. Today, for instance, I pressed it just after I started the engine, together with the front/rear defogger.

So how exactly does it work? Isn't the front defogger supposed to heat the bottom of the windshield as well?

@jogosub I actually do have a 2006 Outback, that's why I am posting here lol.
Look under the wipers. You'll see the red heating element. That's what heats up. It gets very warm and works quite well! It does take a few minutes for them to start to heat up, though. When they're on, you should be able to feel the heat coming off the elements. My 2004 would get them up to over 100 degrees pretty quickly (as measured by an infrared thermometer). Haven't checked on my 2008 yet.

The front defogger sits a little above the wipers, so it won't really deice them when they're in the parked position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts