Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this 1995 OB, 126,000 miles, 2.1 engine. Just had the water pump & timing belt replaced. Other than brakes & maybe a few hoses, everything else on this car is original. When the timing belt was just done at the Subaru dealership, they said the car was "pretty clean" & they were not making refernce to the interior. :)

What else will need to be replaced & at what cost? Right now I think it needs new shocks. Wondering when things like the starter & alternator will need to be replaced?

I can't believe how much I "love" this car after we got a 2012.

This car handles great, is nimble, easy to park, great visability, & tons of useable cargo room due to the "squareness." Subaru doesn't make them like this anymore. :)

So, just wondering what to expect.

Thanks

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Shocks & struts probably are pretty tired. They fail gently on that vintage, so you don't notice that they're really gone until you bounce your way through a panic stop.

Brakes & tires are worth attention as always.

Starter & alt? I don't think it's worth preemptive work. They fail when they fail, and they aren't unusually expensive or difficult when they do. Starters don't fail often in Subarus. There was a run of crummy alts, can't remember which years. Subaru did some special deal to make good on it, and there is some part number for a very cheap replacement available at the dealer. Maybe search for grossgary's thread on it? It might apply to yours and it's a big discount. Fuel pumps start to give trouble at this age. A new fuel filter (underhood) can help stretch things along, and it's nice to your injectors.

If you've been minding the underhood stuff properly I'd turn towards corrosion- have a look at the fuel filler neck in the back fender, the subframe under the rear suspension. Those are two trouble spots.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Tune - up, PCV valve come to mind. I've yet to have a sooby starter fail on me, but have had several Alt's go bad. You have time for that and get lots of warning.

Transmission fluid change.

Brake fluid change.

Your struts are more worn then you realise at this mileage. You may not "need" them b ut you need them. Luckily this is something you can budget for and get them done. They are wear items.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts