Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current outback isn't doing so hot, so I am looking into buying a new engine for it. However, I want an engine that will make it a little more fun to drive. As an automatic, what sort of engines can I swap into it? Anything with a turbo? Would really appreciate any help I can get!

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,127 Posts
What is your budget? Abilities? Goals? Almost anything is possible. Any modern Subaru engine (since about 1990) will physically bolt in, but require considerable wiring. And with varying levels of fabrication, almost anything else is possible. I've seen straight 6s, V8s, I saw ongoing build pictures of someone working on an LS V8 in a Subaru and retaining AWD....

Here's a very good friend's '98 Legacy with a 6.0l LS AND a big turbo

2020-02-03_12-48-50
by Numbchux, on Flickr

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,644 Posts
will you be doing the work yourself? It can be a fun project but, if you need to pay someone else, you should sell your car and buy something newer.

speaking VERY generally, a power upgrade will mean an H6 engine, it's ECU, a wiring harness 'merge', and maybe a rear diff swap. A turbo will add complexity and risk to the above.

search here, NASIOC.com and ultimatesubaru.org for threads about swaps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts