Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding has always been, when a core is requested, that just means the old part you are replacing should be handed over. After replacing the axel and CV joints on my car, I sent in these old parts to the company. They sent me an email saying they will have to charge me a core charge since the axle is a replacement, not the original axle that came on the car. This detail is not stated on their website and was never explained to me when I purchased the axle over the phone.

When a core is requested, what exactly is being asked for?

Also, is there any way I can find out the origin of the original axle, where it would have been manufactured? It is for a 1996 Subaru Outback Legacy Wagon.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have never had this problem but then maybe when I surrendered the old part it was always OEM. Even so, if they did not specify that the part must be the original OEM part then they should not charge you. Anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
this could just be a scam to not refund you the core charge. kind of like an insurance company always sending a ''deny the claim'' letter as a first response.

or it may be their policy.

more important to us, which supplier??

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
interesting - they should not penalize you for their oversight in wording, and immediately change their wording to Rebuildable Original Equipment only.(if that's what they intend)

are you sure there wasn't some fine print that explained this?

a rebuild-able core should be just that - I could understand them denying a broken or bent axle.

be sure to let us know who this is if they aren't being fair.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
I couldn't find anything about returning a core. The policy is certainly well hidden. (I didn't examine every single page, but I couldn't find anything called 'policies' or 'core' etc.)

You could try openeing a complaint with the BBB - they seem to be listed with them.

they seem pretty picky about offering a quality product - but the possibility of refusing a core should be made clear before accepting an order.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since they haven't actually charged me yet, I will communicate with them first. If it comes down to it I can contact the BBB or file a chargeback with my credit card company.

I just wanted to make sure I fully understood what a core was. I thought maybe my definition of what a core is may have been wrong all these years. This is the first time I've had a core be questioned.

Thanks for your input and suggestions! :29:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, if it had been mentioned up front I would have been a little better about confirming whether it was the factory axle. All I know is that the axles all look the same as the one I pulled off the car.

Raxles is claiming that the axle I sent as a core is a "Chinese replacement." Now I'm just trying to find out if it could be a factory part that was made in China.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
all subaru axles i have ever seen have green inner cup.

and my limited experience says that after market re-mans and replacements are black.

obviously MWEs are not black. i don't know about Raxles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
canubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing