Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what little I've picked up so far its A better way of working the AWD?
Am I right?

& seems maybe only some years have it or is it an available option for all years just cost more?

I'm starting think about spending a little more than I planned just to make sure I get the best of what I want instead of just shopping local & hoping I find something good enough?

Videos?
or any easy to understand links or info?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for the Newbie question...

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
VDC was offered in 2001 in the higher end models. It was a two pronged capability it improved the AWD capability and also acted as a ESC helping keep the car squared up and pointed the right direction in extreme driving situations.

2004 was basically the year Subaru stopped pitching the VDC as a major thing given by 2005 all of Subaru's cars had various combined systems that offered similar or equal type of performance factors that VDC offered. So in effect by 2005 subaru didn't go out of its way to label cars having VDC as they did 2001 through 2004 where the VDC capability was made possible with some specific mechanical things that was actually pretty cool.

2005 and forward the electronics systems - ABS- electronic Throttle- Traction Control logic all gave Subaru a way to create logic that used these various systems to create similar results as VDC.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
So is this a good thing or not?
Sometimes having the car try to correct what it thinks is bad, Its fighting what you actually wanna do & some cars allow us the options to turning this functions off?
There will never be a 5star car built today that does not have some level of ESC ie NANNY logic that kicks in when vehicle dynamics reach a certain point. Just like ABS every car with any respectable safety rating will have it. The nature of the vehicle's handling behavior impacts just how apparent or agressive the NANNY is in kicking in and trying to keep things square and right side up etc.

The OB Nanny is nothing compared to tall heavy SUV nanny's simply because the OB can do/go much farther to the extreme before the dynamics of the car reach a tipping point compared to say a Toyota 4runner or Sequoia etc.

Your same comment was heard all the time when ABS started getting used everyone was freaked out about a computer system interfering with their braking effort. We all know today that ABS is huge and has made a big impact on the effect of a panic response from a driver in keeping tires from locking up and creating a totally uncontrollable pile of steel going where inertia would like it to go.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
So is this a good thing or not?
Sometimes having the car try to correct what it thinks is bad, Its fighting what you actually wanna do & some cars allow us the options to turning this functions off?
Definitely a good thing. And, for Gen4 OB's at least, you can switch traction control off. Being a new OB owner I haven't needed to turn it off yet, but with my old RWD vehicle with dynamic stability control I would often need to disable it to start from a standstill in snow or ice, otherwise not enough power was given to the wheels to get moving.

Otherwise though, traction control should stay ON for normal driving. If it kicks in, it's probably stopping you from doing something stupid/dangerous in my experience.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean
173 Posts
Hi there!

My 3rd gen (2007) Outback L.L. Bean has traction control and a switch to the left of the steering column to toggle it. I'm not sure if this is all 3rd gen cars, or just the L.L. Bean (or just the H6 -- if H6 was available w/o L.L. Bean -- I can never remember).

·
Registered
OB 2011 3.6R Limited with NAV
68 Posts
Otherwise though, traction control should stay ON for normal driving. If it kicks in, it's probably stopping you from doing something stupid/dangerous in my experience.
I think that the traction control should stay off while towing a camper as I read somewhere.
I speculate that Subaru traction control has no way knowing about the camper presence and can't include the camper dynamics in its calculations possibly making the situation much worse?

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
I think that the traction control should stay off while towing a camper as I read somewhere.
I speculate that Subaru traction control has no way knowing about the camper presence and can't include the camper dynamics in its calculations possibly making the situation much worse?
You could be right; i've never towed a camper and don't plan to so that's out of my realm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts