1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the car is a 2008
it started to misfire a little 2 weeks ago at idle

because of a previous incident (trying to search for my post doesn't work) when I had to replace the spark plug of cylinder 1 in the middle of the night in december I taught it was related

I purchased 4 new plugs and new wires (wires look OEM and the car has 270 000 km)
I also put a new alternator belt, the old one was very bad PS pump wasstiff and voltage was on the low side
after putting all of that, same thing, car has bad idle and dies at almost every stops
car runs if the RPM is above 2K

the code I have were 301 and 302, misfiring detected on cylinder 1 and 2

possible fuel starvation, bad fuel pump ? (I had to replace the pump on my old 2001 H6 , the symptons were kinda similar)
ok I changed the whole fuel pump assembly today = same stupid ****

a mechanic neighbor checked quickly and disconnected the MAF sensor, the car ran fine
ok when to the yard to get a MAF sensor, drove the car 2 x 30 minutes in the highway and city no problems
. put it in, same **** car dies after driving 30 feet
disconnect the MAF , car is happy again

is it related -> I had the center section of the exhaust line it was rusty, noisy and it cracked in 2 pieces, the misfring started just before the exhaust replacement

one thing I noticed when the car dies I need to crank a lot until it starts again, not the case when the MAF is unpluggued
that what's pointed toward a lack of fuel but it's not the case
unplugging the MAF change things in the ECM but what exactly ?

waithing for a delivery of a brand new coil packs too , ordered a few days ago when I started trouble shooting, but amazon is really slow right now

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
492 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I believe disconnecting the MAF puts the ECU in an open-loop failsafe mode that runs the engine on pre-defined "the engine will keep running, but please take care of the problem ASAP" parameters. The engine will tend to run rich like this, so if you drive it for extended periods there's a chance you'll destroy the cats.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
720 Posts
Is this a turbo model since you stated you are ordering multiple coil packs? Any codes other then the misfire? Possible the belt skipped a tooth and jumped timing. If its an N/A model with one ignition coil, I would lean towards that being the problem, its not to uncommon for them to fail causing miss fires on one bank.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2.5 non turbo
I ordered 1 coil assembly on amazon
got a deal on a damaged box at 80% off
still waithing for delivery

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did some more testing today
couldn't find any clue

I came to the conclusion that if the coil was physically broken or I had a vaccum lean it would also be bad when the MAF is unpluggued because it would be physical problem

I will have a powerful scan tool monday

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update the car now dies with the MAF disconnected or not, zero idle, push the pedal it runs leave the foot it dies
rought idle when connected and will die after a while
still no code except the MAF when disconnected or misfring when it comes severe and stall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts