Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
. . Current daily driver is a 2017 Outback.
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . 2007 Outback XT
. . The new project car has something I'm not familiar with. . Looks to be connected to the valve cover vent tube. .
. . What is it? ?

Attachments

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,481 Posts
what does it say on the side of it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks like the secondary air pump on the '06+ EJ255's?

If so, read up on removing and blocking off its mount on the head - Assuming you have RomRaider/ ECUflash to remove codes.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
yes, it's the secondary air injection pump. Pretty sure 2007+ XTs got this. It just blows air into the exhaust to supply extra oxygen which will mix with the leftover raw fuel in the exhaust afterburner-style to heat the catalysts a bit faster during warmup. After warmup, the fan cuts out and the system is dead weight the rest of the trip.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,823 Posts
air cut valves froze shut on my WRX 4th year of ownership. Had to flash the ECU to kill about 13 codes.

someday, maybe I'll install block-off plates.

·
Registered
. . Current daily driver is a 2017 Outback.
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Secondary Air Pump

. . Ok, So now I know what it is and what it does. . Next question, curiosity at this point, Why do some '06 - '08 Subaru turbo models have it but most don't. .

. . I have no intention of removing it. . I will resell the car soon and Denver is an emissions testing area. .

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
AFAIK all 2007 & later XTs have this. The 2005-2006 XTs were able to pass emissions without such a system. I can't tell you what changed for 2007 but the answer was bolting these things on.

Other engine components also changed in 2007- it could be the blower was needed to support one of those changes, or maybe the rulebook changed and it's got nothing to do with the car.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,068 Posts
I don't know about now. But back in the early days of catalytic converters if you took what we called the smog pump off it would only be a matter of time before you would be needing a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I don't know about now. But back in the early days of catalytic converters if you took what we called the smog pump off it would only be a matter of time before you would be needing a catalytic converter.
Yes, back then they were all dependent on the extra oxygen just to keep 'em from clogging.

These days that isn't a concern anymore, but somebody remembered that old trick and recycled it as a method to make the converters warm up faster.

You can fearlessly dump the secondary air "smog pump" on these as long as you block the tubes and edit the ECU program so it won't care. (May not apply in California, where I think they still physically check for presence & condition of smog equipment)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,481 Posts
yes, it's the secondary air injection pump. Pretty sure 2007+ XTs got this. It just blows air into the exhaust to supply extra oxygen which will mix with the leftover raw fuel in the exhaust afterburner-style to heat the catalysts a bit faster during warmup. After warmup, the fan cuts out and the system is dead weight the rest of the trip.
does your 2006 race the cold engine a bit at the first morning start up?

my own 2002 H6 does that in a effort to warm the cats fast. and the exhaust does stink of hydrocarbons before the cats warm.

I have to remind people like mechanics that may have this car overnight that the cold engine races, ...as when they drop it into gear it will roll faster then any other car they have around the shop. (like easy to hit a garage door if one's foot is not firmly controlling the car with the brake).
my H4 does not do this at all.

and I was wondering if subaru continued the fast idle thought into 2005-2006 XT without this extra pump.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
and I was wondering if subaru continued the fast idle thought into 2005-2006 XT without this extra pump.
Yes, I idle 1500-1800 rpms is what mine set in at until a few minutes in. Its slowly decreases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts