Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, might be a stupid question but nothing more than a bolt missing here right? And anyone know what I should replace the one that has fallen off with?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
199 Posts
Oh ****, how'd you lose that? I'd at least make sure the bushing is in decent shape. I would only get an OEM bolt and nut from Subaru, wouldn't want to risk getting one that isn't strong enough for that job.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts
That's the rear, right? Look at the other side and see what it is and go get it. It doesn't necessarily need to be Subaru bought, but make sure it's a good strong part.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,689 Posts
you 'might' be able to look at the head of the bolt on the other side and determine a 'grade' but, at least avoid some neighborhood hardware store parts bin 69 cent bolt.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,411 Posts
That's the rear, right? Look at the other side and see what it is and go get it. It doesn't necessarily need to be Subaru bought, but make sure it's a good strong part.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
you 'might' be able to look at the head of the bolt on the other side and determine a 'grade' but, at least avoid some neighborhood hardware store parts bin 69 cent bolt.
I recommend buying the part from Subaru.

The nut is oblong shaped or pressed/crimped in a way that makes it a locking nut without the need for a nylon insert.

Subaru recommends replacement of these nuts if the bushing needs serviced.

They're pretty inexpensive from the dealer.

Reactions: Suback 3.0R

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
554 Posts
Judging by all the rust under there, there's a chance the bolt just snapped off both ends. The center of the lateral link is just barely visible and it looks solid and rusty (what's left of the bolt?). You might need to replace the entire link. Good luck getting the other side off.

How did it end up so rusty in Oz? You drive that thing straight into the ocean?

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,246 Posts
It looks like that bolt failed due to fatigue - you can see the scallop marks on the end of the bolt that display the incremental cracking.

Buy the bolt an nut from your local Subaru dealer, or, if you can wait ( with another car to drive in the meantime!), from Subaruonlineparts. Getting it from them is the ONLY way to be absolutely positive that the bolt is of the proper grade - getting proper grade bolts nowadays is getting harder and harder to do if you arwe the average consumer.

You should be pro-active and replace the one on the other side as well.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,246 Posts

Newcastle is right on the ocean front, with the prevailing winds coming from the ocean, so there will be a lot of salt in the air.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh ****, how'd you lose that? I'd at least make sure the bushing is in decent shape. I would only get an OEM bolt and nut from Subaru, wouldn't want to risk getting one that isn't strong enough for that job.
Thinking about it, I may have damaged it when trying to install my lift kit without multilink spacers, or maybe I just sendt it to hard? It happened while I was forced to drive 5000km(3000 miles) on a misfiring engine, maybe the shaking was the final blow. And yeah should probably take a look at that bushing.

Judging by all the rust under there, there's a chance the bolt just snapped off both ends. The center of the lateral link is just barely visible and it looks solid and rusty (what's left of the bolt?). You might need to replace the entire link. Good luck getting the other side off.

The rust is only surface rust, doubt it rusted through the bolt. As for the location of the bolt, it is most likely somewhere between Port Augusta and Newcastle ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts