Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru OBW 3.0R LL Bean
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2005 OB 3.0 and I am a bit surprised at how much gas it has been burning through so quickly. I am wondering if this is normal or if I need to look into some maintanance and where to start?

Details: The car has just over 70,000 miles on it and I have been using premium 91 to fill it up. I filled it to full and have put just under 200 miles on this tank of gas and have maybe a 1/4 of a tank left. I have done an equal amount of city/hw driving.

Is it normal to only get 250 miles, if that, to a tank of gas for this car? Seems like the 2012 Jeep Liberty we got rid of was doing better on gas than the Subie, and it only required regular gas...:confused:

If you guys need more info let me know, I will fill the car when it hits "E" and note how many miles driven vs. gallons-$ filled to get a more precise miles/gallon and cost. My average miles/gallon guage is showing somewhere between 17-18 right now...any input is appreciated

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Sounds about right. I only get 19ish mpg average in my 2.5, but most of my driving is city/suburban and I have a pretty heavy foot.

The Jeep also had a nearly 20 gallon fuel tank, and your Subaru has about a 16 gallon fuel tank. I typically get right around 250 miles on a tank of fuel with my normal driving. On a straight highway trip I'll do probably about 350 miles on a tank or so, I've gotten 27 mpg on the highway (again, my car is a 2.5, so not quite completely comparable).

It also may be worth your while to make sure you don't have a brake caliper hanging up, your tires are inflated to the proper pressure (I typically run mine slightly above, 35-40 psi, IMHO the car rides a lot better).

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
I may be wrong as I have never owned a 3.0 ( currently gen4 3.6r) but I am pretty sure you do not gain anything by using premium fuel in that engine. And if you have colder winters where you live the milage does seem to improve considerably with warmer temps.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I may be wrong as I have never owned a 3.0 ( currently gen4 3.6r) but I am pretty sure you do not gain anything by using premium fuel in that engine. And if you have colder winters where you live the milage does seem to improve considerably with warmer temps.
The owners manual recommends premium in the 3.0 H6, at least for gen 2 models. Not sure about Gen 3. However I know members here run regular in their Gen 2 H6 without issue.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
If your gas gauge is anything like mine ('01), you'll still have over 4 gallons left when it's on E and the low fuel light comes on. That equates to roughly 3/4 of a tank used when the gauge reads Empty.

When the light comes on, fill it up. It's a hair over a 16 gallon tank. See how many gallons it takes to fill it. That would tell you if your gauge is extra cautious, like mine is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SE95 I'm assuming your 2.5 is N/A, non- turbo?

And yes I am planning on seeing how much gas actually goes in right when the tank hits empty, my suspicion also is that it will not be 16gal but closer to 13 maybe, that would be a relief in a way.

Also, it is great to hear that running regular will not hurt the car, although I believe that 91 is recommended and I do want to treat the car right as I do plan on keeping it.

I live in Colorado and the weather has been pretty mild though thats right around freezing at night and 50's during the day around here. Maybe the altitude and lack of oxygen has some effects on fuel consumption as well?

The first portion of the driving we did on this tank of gas was mostly all highway and we just couldn't get the average mpg guage to hit 19...stayed at 18.9...I was hoping to get to the low 20's but maybe thats because the car does have 70K on it and won't get those as new mpg numbers...thats why I was wondering if maintanence might help?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It could never hurt to do a tuneup, new plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, etc.

Yes my 2.5 is N/A. I have 121K miles on the car, she is also in desperate need of a tuneup (haven't had the time to do it yet).

I filled up yesterday because my Low Fuel light had illuminated. From that point it took about 13.5 gallons until it kicked off IIRC.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
I'm assuming Outback Wagon? It's rated 17 city / 23 highway - 20mpg combined on premium.

How does that compare to what you've manually calculated?

Fuelly average is also 20mpg.
--

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The 3.0 can do high 20s in later model cars with the 5EAT but with the 4EAT it won't do quite as well. 17 sounds normal for all-city driving, low for any other use. Ignition tuneup, air filter & PCV are not bad ideas.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes i have the wagon, not sure what the 4EAT and 5EAT is reffering to...I'm a noob! lol

I was expecting to get around 20 combined but have not even been able to get to that on the highway and thats why I was concerned...

i heard that using regular gas also gets you worst milage, but as long as I wont be hurting the car I am willing to give it a shot...

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
4EAT = 4-speed automatic '01 - '04 H6 cars (USA)
5EAT = 5-speed automatic - '05 to present H6 cars (USA)

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
I would check the manual first...before putting in regular gas.....
I have an 03 H 6 premium fuel...only.....and would " run" better

I get about 21 mpg city highway

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be very happy with 21mpg, but its closer to 17 which is kind of a bummer....I believe that the air filter is new since I just bought the car one would assume that they would have changed the air filter if anything, and it did look pretty clean when I glanced at it.

Would replacing the spark plugs help? What does "tuning the ignition system" entail?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Just to toss it out there, are we talking about actual highway driving? 50+ miles at 55-65 without stopping?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
#1 only go by fuel put in to the full point each fill up then run the mileage numbers. Gauge is just stepped maybe 10 measuring points to indicate a rough idea of what fuel you have.

By the way the Liberty was sort of a flop regarding Jeep products and probably gets similar mileage. The old 3L H6 was replaced by the 3.6L H6 because subaru was catching WAY too much heat about premium fuel needed and the poor mileage the old 3L H6 got. Hence why Subaru replaced it with the 3.6 which runs on regular fuel and does have a much better fuel consumption record.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I would be very happy with 21mpg, but its closer to 17 which is kind of a bummer....I believe that the air filter is new since I just bought the car one would assume that they would have changed the air filter if anything, and it did look pretty clean when I glanced at it.

Would replacing the spark plugs help? What does "tuning the ignition system" entail?
Dangerous assumption. From the dealer's point of view it's silly to spend money on anything the buyer isn't going to physically inspect. If you do inspect it and find something unsatisfactory, they can cough up the part cheap enough. But since 99% don't check, the average dealer won't spend the money.

"Tuning the ignition system" used to mean lots of things. On modern cars it doesn't anymore, but the terminology has stuck around. These days it means replace spark plugs, inspect and possibly replace ignition wires.

·
Premium Member
15 Crosstrek
67 Posts
I get 18-20 mostly city on my 06 H6. 96K miles, K&N air filter and new plugs at 65K and +2 psi in the tires. I have a crazy heavy foot though. I just drove from Dallas to Tampa and back over the last two weeks and averaged 25mpg for constant highway at 75-80mph.

I found +4 psi on your tires can net you a 1-2mpg gain if you can live with the slightly rougher ride.

Oh and take your cross bars off when not in use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So looks like I will try to go with a K&N filter and try to bump the PSI up to 40...I'll look into the plugs and plug wires a bit later since that requires a bit more work. I'll try to stick to premium fuel since that seems to be the recommended fuel type for the 3.0.

Rasterman, I see your point with the actual highway driving and I can't claim that it was 50+ at 55-65 mph because of all the **** road work on I-25 all the **** time, it just seems like the car was on the highway a lot, I will have to test true highway mpg when I get the chance.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Remove the roof rack cross bars your highway speed mileage might see a very slight bump pending what speeds you run on the highway. Cross bars can be close to a 1mpg hit if your doing 70+.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts