Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Looks to me that the revised TSB 10-48-10 released today (Feb. 3, 2011) brings the major modifications of the steering system. The new steering column, redesigned lower steering control arms, bunch of new bushings, revised installation of steering rack spring seat. Seems like a real possibilty of Subaru getting the fix right.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 3.6R Moonroof White Pearl
61 Posts
Trust your dealer on a sliding scale. First, it's "normal road feel" - or your imagination - or it can be cured by road force balancing, or new tires, then... I found that when the problem wasn't going away that my dealer got more and more truthful and trustworthy the more I bulldogged the issue. If you give up and give in, you're lunch meat and your car will shake until the cows come home. And, think of it... what sort of long-term impact is that having on the chassis and every mechanical component of your car? Read some stuff about aircraft fuselage metal fatigue. NOT good. YOU DESERVE to have the smooth riding vehicle you paid your hard-earned money for. Our Subies should not shake, period! It's not your imagination. Don't feel guilty about pressing to have the problem fixed. PERSIST! TRIBULATE! Yes, be as kind and as patient as you can possibly be, but please, DON'T GIVE UP!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,452 Posts
The final TSB was put up on this forum thread...somewhere...for download...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2011 Subaru outback 2.5i limited(1000 miles) and although the steering wheel does not vibrate the car sways side to side like its on ice if I drive over 65-70mph. I have replaced the crappy tires that came on the car with bridgestone blizzacks ( I live in SNOW in Tahoe) and the problem has not changed any suggestions?????

·
Registered
2010 Outback PZEV
726 Posts
I have a new 2011 Subaru outback 2.5i limited(1000 miles) and although the steering wheel does not vibrate the car sways side to side like its on ice if I drive over 65-70mph. I have replaced the crappy tires that came on the car with bridgestone blizzacks ( I live in SNOW in Tahoe) and the problem has not changed any suggestions?????
Check the thread devoted to this issue http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/31638-ob-lane-wandering.html

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Outback Premium, with moon roof, in Steel Silver; 2008 Outback with leather, sunroof, Satellite radio, white body color
16 Posts
Being in the market for a 2011 Outback Premium with sunroof, are all these cars affected by the vibration problems mentioned above, or does it just affect certain models. Much as I love the new OB I dont want one that has problems right from the start.
The Bear

·
Registered
2014 3.6R limited twilight blue 2015 3.6R limited Tungsten metallic
191 Posts
Being in the market for a 2011 Outback Premium with sunroof, are all these cars affected by the vibration problems mentioned above, or does it just affect certain models. Much as I love the new OB I dont want one that has problems right from the start.
The Bear
I just dont understand how one could be in the market for a Subaru after reading about the shake issue!!! There are plenty of cars out there to choose from why even take the chance on an Outback ? The more I read on this forum the farther I drift away from this car. I get really aggrivated reading about dealer "non response" to the issue. Tires,rfb's, balancing, all bs. There is a design flaw in this car,stay away, save yourself from potential insanity.:gasp:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I just dont understand how one could be in the market for a Subaru after reading about the shake issue!!! There are plenty of cars out there to choose from why even take the chance on an Outback ? The more I read on this forum the farther I drift away from this car. I get really aggrivated reading about dealer "non response" to the issue. Tires,rfb's, balancing, all bs. There is a design flaw in this car,stay away, save yourself from potential insanity.:gasp:
...well...it didn't affect every car that came out...some people really love Subaru vehicles...and they have the issue solved now so it's not a problem...accept for those who are still dealing with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Still have issues

I posted quite awhile ago about shaking issues and dealer problems. I have had both TSBs performed and the problem nearly went away. Well its back, except not only is the vibration back the car is also thumping. The dealer, after a battle, admitted the front tires were cupping. We run snows in the winter so there isnt many miles on the OEM tires. The dealer rotated the tires and the thumping is gone in the front but it is now present in the back, go figure. I have been in contact with SOA again and they have agreed to replace the tires with the exact same ones, or they will give me $1000.00, I can sign a release and go away. I keep mentioning " Buy Back" and keep being ignored. My lease is up in about a year. What do I do??? I dont think a Subaru is going to be my choice again which is to bad because my wife loves the car in the snow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks JMM

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I posted quite awhile ago about shaking issues and dealer problems. I have had both TSBs performed and the problem nearly went away. Well its back, except not only is the vibration back the car is also thumping. The dealer, after a battle, admitted the front tires were cupping. We run snows in the winter so there isnt many miles on the OEM tires. The dealer rotated the tires and the thumping is gone in the front but it is now present in the back, go figure. I have been in contact with SOA again and they have agreed to replace the tires with the exact same ones, or they will give me $1000.00, I can sign a release and go away. I keep mentioning " Buy Back" and keep being ignored. My lease is up in about a year. What do I do??? I dont think a Subaru is going to be my choice again which is to bad because my wife loves the car in the snow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks JMM
Take the tires, if it solves the problem you're done until your lease is up. When you're lease is up ask for a heavily discounted 2014 for everything you went through.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6r
96 Posts
I bought a 2010 with the slight vibration at highway speeds. I can live with it as it comes and goes and isn't consistent.

I was offered the extended warranty options but haven't decided yet. I have 100,000km on the car right now. Do you think if I opted for the extended warranty they would even entertain the idea of replacing the components in the TSB or just say its due to the age on the car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There

I just bought a 2011 Outback with 100K Km four months ago and it turned out to have the vibration issue. I had to go to my dealer several times, but eventually they acknowledged that my car had the vibration as described in the TSB and fixed it. I would continue to push Subaru as this a known design issue, regardless if it's over the 100K. You shouldn't have to get an extended warranty for them to fix it.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Hi There

I just bought a 2011 Outback with 100K rKm four months ago and it turned out to have the vibration issue. I had to go to my dealer several times, but eventually they acknowledged that my car had the vibration as described in the TSB and fixed it. I would continue to push Subaru as this a known design issue, regardless if it's over the 100K. You shouldn't have to get an extended warranty for them to fix it.
Just out of curiosity what is the build date on your car? The design issue was solved by early 2011 production. The TSB is posted in this thread...I put up the entire document years back when I had this issue with my first gen4. It was so long ago that I don't remember the actual number but the dealer gave me the full TSB Document so I digitized it and posted it.

·
Registered
This is my 3rd Subaru; 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited with Nav
84 Posts
Hi, I am experiencing the same problem with my 2011 3.6R Limited. I thought it was just a balancing/alignment issue as the car has a slight pull to the left while the steering wheel vibrates but now that I see this I know it is the TSB. It doesnt have the Continentals on it either it has Yokohama Avid Ascents. How do I go about getting that fixed? Is it going to cost me a ton?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts