Wood Automotive wheel system Font Brick Formation

Thx.

·
Registered
2003 H6 Custom ChuckWagon
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome.
Do we know the size of the special tool socket?
Is the special tool just to make it easier; but if it's threaded it looks like it just spins? i.e. wrench or visegrips?

·
Registered
244 Posts
You could always try & use an adjustable wrench - that's what I would do rather than purchase the "special" tool.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Screws in, but . . .

Fashion accessory Rectangle Jewellery Carmine Font

. . . if the threaded part goes into a nut (presumably a captive nut on the frame), it probably is rusted in place. The bumper looks to have a hex shape base, rather large, and the special tool would fit it on all sides. With the rubber pad missing, and base appearing to be bent, it might be tough to get it to back out.

Is the remaining base spinning when turned, but not threading out?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I know what we're looking at I'm pretty sure the "remaining base" is the female thread.. I'll look in daylight but maybe all I need is to somehow get the one off PW and just install it in CW..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep it is the female thread, with something plugging 'er up.
Automotive tire Wood Natural material Trunk Circle

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
I'm puzzled by that. Your photo appears to be the left-over metal hex shape base of the rubber bumper. The photo (post #7) shows a male thread coming out from the base, which would screw into a threaded (female) fitting on the car body or sub-frame.

I think it would be unusual for the car body to have a male thread sticking down that the bumper (with a female threaded opening) would screw onto.

But hard to tell from your photo, so I might be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,517 Posts
Yes it looks like the rubber fell off the hex base and the entire hex base can be turned to unscrew it but it might be so corroded that the stud will break off and left stuck in the threads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm puzzled by that. Your photo appears to be the left-over metal hex shape base of the rubber bumper.
Actually, if you compare it to the earlier PW photo, see that there are 2 rings... one on the base containing the female threads and one on the helper that looks a little round

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the stud of the helper is stuck in there but the helper itself has been knocked off or something from me trashing around over the years.
I feel like this is screw extraction territory -- if not I just drilled out my caliper to fix my bleeder so now I'm a pro lol

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
358 Posts
That is indeed the remains of the bump stop, I just recently removed mine.

As others have mentioned, the rubber cone part has broken off and left the metal base plate screwed into the chassis, it will come out and I'm sure the thread is M8 x 1.25

I just used wide jaw pipe grips to remove mine, it was tiring to say the least! One came out ok, the other one was sticking all the way out.

Once I figure out the ride height situation I'll be converting to the small foam bump stops on the struts, same style as the front bump stops, all the newer Subarus are set up this way on the rears now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I get it.. that whole metal thing needs to come out.. I thought that was part of the car..

So, I feel like I've been fishtailing a bit recently -- this piece is more for the 'bounce' than
the 'sway', right?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you mean about the ride height situation.. I bet mine is all over the place.. I may even have a crack in a spring or two..

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
665 Posts
Oh I get it.. that whole metal thing needs to come out.. I thought that was part of the car..

So, I feel like I've been fishtailing a bit recently -- this piece is more for the 'bounce' than
the 'sway', right?
It’s my understanding that this device should not come into play during normal driving or even extreme emergency handling. It’s only to protect during extreme compression travel. So unless your sway bar is removed or the spring is shot or something else weird is happening you’ll rarely contact the bumpstop.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,285 Posts
So unless your sway bar is removed or the spring is shot or something else weird is happening you’ll rarely contact the bumpstop.
It could also be an overload situation.

But whatever the reason, if the bump stops are regularly being hit, I'd say there are many other problems in the suspension and possibly the body structure that need addressing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OH! That's where they would have gone.. I carried a **** ton of rock in the trunk once.. Also, my profile pic was another time she was slammed.

·
Registered
Seamist Green 2004, Dark Blue 2002 Both 2.5 Auto, my 2000 got rusted away
69 Posts
So, I feel like I've been fishtailing a bit recently
You may need to replace your rear shocks... I just had to do that swapping from my own 'parts' car into my less rusty car.
( I knew the parts' car struts were only a few years old)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts