Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First:
Since day one these fluids are coming out of this little red thing in the engine. Kind of yellow cream color. Is this normal?

here's pictures for you to see.

other view.

sorry guys, i don't know anything about engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's a spray-on sealant grease they used everywhere on the OBs. Find it every time I go digging around the engine bay...it's obnoxious to get off too so I think it's a lithium or silicone base...

·
Registered
982 Posts
One of the causes of the head gasket issues with the earlier outbacks was corrosion in the radiator fluid caused by electrolysis. This helps mitigate that. If you open the hood on some older outbacks you'll see tons of white build up. Its important to keep any battery clean but Subaru goes out of their way now based on their history.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Along with this, if you remove any connection that has the grease it is a good practice to put some new electric contact grease on it before reinstalling. This will help keep corrosion at bay over the life of your vehicle and the stuff is really cheap.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My Honda CRV used a 2 part plug for the headlights and they were covered with this junk. It made it difficult as I would get this grease all over the halogen bulbs and then they would fail (greasy stuff does not mesh well with halogens). It is a necessary thing to maintain connectivity, but its still messy. When you buy a new headlight bulb or a replacement plug for a honda in some cases they give you a small tube of the grease. Just another thing and something echoed by a lot of Subie folks is that Subaru uses a lot of gooey stuff on their cars. Expect it. All your hinges are caked with goo, they put molybednum in the engine when its dry in crates to prevent ceasing, electrical connections have it, etc. Your Subie is a slime ball of fun...enjoy it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
subarubong
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing