Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, never posted before. I was under the hood of my dad's impreza earlier. And I saw this hose shown in photo. Photo isn't of his car because I wasn't around my phone when over there.

But I'm wondering what that hose is. It had some sticky substance around it too, but that could be some grease lubricant a shop put on, not sure. If anyone knows, that'd be great. Couldn't find anything by searching, as I wouldn't know what to search for so nothing relevant was coming up.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
665 Posts
Looks like the a pcv valve and electrical connector to tell the ecu its installed.

·
Registered
19,380 Posts
What is in the photo is part of the PVC system, but doesn't include the PCV valve.

The black rubber hose that comes toward the viewer and goes down, ends up at a fitting on top of the engine that goes into the crankcase. The fitting also is where the PCV valve is mounted.

The white piece is basically an adapter where the wiring harness is connected.

Beyond that there's a black plastic tube attached to the air box; however there's no passage into the airbox. Instead, there's a "T" off the tube going down with another hose attached. That hose makes a 90 degree turn toward the airbox and is attached to a fitting that is open to the airbox interior.

In other words, the circled parts show a hose from the crankcase, at the top of the engine, to the airbox.

Incidentally, the white piece is slip fit onto the black plastic piece coming off the airbox. It can be separated from the black tube by lifting the locking tab on the connector and pulling back. The locking tab keeps the white part on the black plastic tube, and there's an o-ring between the two that provides an air seal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is in the photo is part of the PVC system, but doesn't include the PCV valve.

The black rubber hose that comes toward the viewer and goes down, ends up at a fitting on top of the engine that goes into the crankcase. The fitting also is where the PCV valve is mounted.

The white piece is basically an adapter where the wiring harness is connected.

Beyond that there's a black plastic tube attached to the air box; however there's no passage into the airbox. Instead, there's a "T" off the tube going down with another hose attached. That hose makes a 90 degree turn toward the airbox and is attached to a fitting that is open to the airbox interior.

In other words, the circled parts show a hose from the crankcase, at the top of the engine, to the airbox.

Incidentally, the white piece is slip fit onto the black plastic piece coming off the airbox. It can be separated from the black tube by lifting the locking tab on the connector and pulling back. The locking tab keeps the white part on the black plastic tube, and there's an o-ring between the two that provides an air seal.
Appreciate the detailed response! Now I actually know what to look for. The shop zip tied crap together up there to keep the hose on but it's very loose. So l am wondering if that can cause issues. His car has weird hesitation problems and I've been trying to diagnose the heart of the problem. O2 sensors, maybe airflow sensors. Or the cars just on its last leg as a 2011 with 250k miles.

·
Registered
19,380 Posts
. . . . to keep the hose on but it's very loose.
Not sure what hose is loose.

The black plastic tube that is between the white fitting and the airbox is not solidly mounted on the airbox. It's held in by a couple of tabs, but that end of the tube is closed, so even though physically it's mounting on the airbox appears loose, it should have no impact as such. (Both the tube and the airbox are not open at that point.)

The large hose that comes up from the engine to the white piece should have a metal clamp holding it securely on the white piece. The photo is not well focused at that point to verify if it's there.

As I mentioned, the white piece is held onto the black plastic tube by the electrical connector, and an o-ring provides a seal between the black and white pieces. If the o-ring is missing, I guess that would allow some movement between them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The black plastic tube that is between the white fitting and the airbox is not solidly mounted on the airbox. It's held in by a couple of tabs, but that end of the tube is closed, so even though physically it's mounting on the airbox appears loose, it should have no impact as such. (Both the tube and the airbox are not open at that point.)

The large hose that comes up from the engine to the white piece should have a metal clamp holding it securely on the white piece. The photo is not well focused at that point to verify if it's there.

As I mentioned, the white piece is held onto the black plastic tube by the electrical connector, and an o-ring provides a seal between the black and white pieces. If the o-ring is missing, I guess that would allow some movement between them.
I'd have to ger an actual picture of my father's car. This was just online that I found to at least find out what it was. Next time I'm over there I'll take an up close picture of the stuff I'm referring to, since currently it's just guess work bc I don't have the photo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

But on his, there is no metal clamp. Some shop must have rigged it with zip ties. I'll get a photo soon and post back here. Currently its just loosely hanging on there. For example, I could flick it and the hose would come off the fitting.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
665 Posts
It needs to be secure. Subaru uses oetiker clamps, but any wormgear clamp will do. A zip tie will work too if properly tightened tho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It needs to be secure. Subaru uses oetiker clamps, but any wormgear clamp will do. A zip tie will work too if properly tightened tho.
Yeah I'll make sure it's tight. It's definitely not right now. If you hit the right bump hard enough while driving it could pop right out.

·
Registered
19,380 Posts
Yeah I'll make sure it's tight. It's definitely not right now. If you hit the right bump hard enough while driving it could pop right out.
Note also that the rubber hose should have clamps on both end, i.e., at the white piece and down below at the fitting on the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the photo of the hose and clip with the zip ties. Does not look secure or feel it. Should I replace this hose or just get clamps? What happens if that tube is not properly fitted?

·
Registered
19,380 Posts
It's the black connection going into the box that can just come off with very little touch.
Just so I am clear on this . . .

If it's at the upper arrow, then the zip ties won't help. Rather, it looks as if the zip ties are meant to hold the white piece to the black round plastic tube above it, i.e, to prevent separation at the lower arrow.

The black tube (upper arrow) is normally held attached to the airbox by two locking tabs, one on top and one on the bottom. In the photo, there's a rectangular opening on the airbox side just above the upper arrow tip. The round tube should have a tab that latches into this opening. There's another opening and locking tab at the bottom of the tube. Together they hold the tube attached to the airbox. (As noted earlier there is no flow here between the tube and the air box. The tube is closed at that end.)

The white piece is held on the black tube (lower arrow) by the electrical connectors to the right. The upper part of the two connectors, with the red and black wires coming into it, is attached to the black tube and doesn't come off easily. The white piece that is pushed into it is held in by a locking tab, and that prevents the white piece as a whole from separating from the black plastic tube. Looking at where the zip ties are, I suspect that the locking tab on the connector is broken, and that allows the white piece to slip off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the tab is broken. I just was looking at it. That's the reason for the ties. And the black end of the tube was what is slipping off (upper arrow)

·
Registered
19,380 Posts
If the black tube comes away from the airbox at the upper arrow, it shouldn't go very far. That's because the rubber hose that comes out underneath the tube and goes, after a 90 degree bend, into the airbox, is fairly stiff, as is the other hose at the lower end of the white piece.

I'd probably clean the area where the black tube fits onto the airbox, apply some "Goop" glue (e.g., Amazing Goop 3.7 fl. oz. All-Purpose Adhesive-140211 - The Home Depot ), insert the tube and have it held there for a few hours. As there should be little pull on it, the black tube will stay in. (I'm not aware of any reason the black tube needs to be removed from the airbox. It, and the 90 degree hose below come pre-installed on the airbox.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the black tube comes away from the airbox at the upper arrow, it shouldn't go very far. That's because the rubber hose that comes out underneath the tube and goes, after a 90 degree bend, into the airbox, is fairly stiff, as is the other hose at the lower end of the white piece.

I'd probably clean the area where the black tube fits onto the airbox, apply some "Goop" glue (e.g., Amazing Goop 3.7 fl. oz. All-Purpose Adhesive-140211 - The Home Depot ), insert the tube and have it held there for a few hours. As there should be little pull on it, the black tube will stay in. (I'm not aware of any reason the black tube needs to be removed from the airbox. It, and the 90 degree hose below come pre-installed on the airbox.)
Great information. I'll take that recommendation on getting the goop. Appreciate all the help. Here I was thinking this thing was a big problem!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts