Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Can someone ID this key/tool for me? 2016 Outback. We traded the car in last month for an Ascent and thougt I turned in all keys but just found this. What is it?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,201 Posts
The tag may be a key code to help a dealer make new key. However, no idea what the metal thing is.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
I don't think it's anything pertaining to the car. But I wouldn't worry about it. I found an actual key to the Legacy we traded in, and the dealer wasn't interested when I told them about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone ID this key/tool for me? 2016 Outback. We traded the car in lady month for an Ascent and thougt I turned in all keys but just found this. What is it?
The tag may be a key code to help a dealer make new key. However, no idea what the metal thing is.
It is the metal threaded thing I was curious about. We obviously never needed it the four years we owned the car, so it is just out of curiosity that I inquire. A release tool for an accessory? I am stumped.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, the tag has a VIN and I see the car is available:

As for the tool, I'll also be interested to hear, if/when anyone decodes this.

@JohnGibbins, could it be something non-Subaru related that you put on to retain the tag?

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
393 Posts
Wow, never seen one of those before.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,410 Posts
Can someone ID this key/tool for me?
I'd say that the original keychain provided by the dealer came with some kind of bling attached, likely some kind of self-promotion by that dealer that is of no use to the customer. The threaded portion held on to some piece of plastic that has since been broken off or been unscrewed; the metal shank is all that remains.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Also, there are a couple square(?) holes along the shaft. One at the top, one towards the screw. Things that make you hummmmmmm.......

We may never know.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,730 Posts
Also, there are a couple square(?) holes along the shaft. One at the top, one towards the screw. Things that make you hummmmmmm.......

We may never know.
I was looking at those as well. They appear to be squared off notches and not holes.

It reminds me of some kind of a quick release pin for something but I can't think of for what.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the tag has a VIN and I see the car is available:

As for the tool, I'll also be interested to hear, if/when anyone decodes this.

@JohnGibbins, could it be something non-Subaru related that you put on to retain the tag?
I am starting to think that is the case, since no one else with an Outback has one. It looks like something you would thread on to something to pull/move/release. I should set it aside in that “drawer” that has all those odds and ends that you can’t quite remember what they are. Thanks

·
Banned
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
92 Posts
It is probably piece of a key accountability system. ie it gets plugged in and is released by keypad or something.... I feel like I’m not explaining this well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
310 Posts
It's an ancient wine bottle opener, just joking 😀😄

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ooooo, that sounds plausible. Wish I had the car still to check it out. Anyone done that? We didn’t get anything like it with our new Ascent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ooooo, that sounds plausible. Wish I had the car still to check it out. Anyone done that? We didn’t get anything like it with our new Ascent.
Interestingly, I'm on a few different forums and although the one I got this response from a car forum, apparently that person also was able to read the code on the fob and this was the answer:

My guess is it removes the trim cover over the wheel nuts, but you didn't get the wheel option that needed it.

So you didn't have the wheels that it was for but maybe they just put that tool in every Subie just to make it easy....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts