Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
714 Posts
Dealer stock # tag is on all the cars in the lots

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
584 Posts
I don't think so. I didn't see where the screw-in tip works. They are just keyed posts, no screw tip. I saw this @ ~1:06.
It might be a different model/manufacturer of a key control system. It's certainly the best explanation I've seen here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't think it's anything pertaining to the car. But I wouldn't worry about it. I found an actual key to the Legacy we traded in, and the dealer wasn't interested when I told them about it.
That’s interesting because it’s not cheap to have one of these keys made. They probably had sold the car and didn’t care.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,407 Posts
It is a pin for a key management system.
What a disappointment - I actually preferred the grand conspiracy theory. :devilish:

I suppose someone is now in trouble because that post wasn't properly returned and re-registered to another key; it's now at large in a customer's hands.

And a question: If you get the "lockable post" option for this key case, what stops someone from just removing the key from the ring and returning everything with a dummy key on it?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,730 Posts
The key management system looks like the best guess so far but I agree that the screw end doesn't make sense. I don't get what that would do in such a system. But that still sits at the top of the list of possibilities unless a more convincing option comes along.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,977 Posts
@Carl Abrams ?

do new subarus come with a chastity belt ?

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
584 Posts
The screw part could be so you have to turn the key in to lock it and unscrew to remove it. It looks like a 1/2 turn thread, a really coarse thread. It would keep the keys secured in case the case fell of the wall....or there was an earthquake...or a.....nuclear explosion!

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
644 Posts
Just to add to the speculation. Is it to release a stuck shift lever. Usually you would just use a screw driver but who knows?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
It might be a different model/manufacturer of a key control system. It's certainly the best explanation I've seen here.
I don't know. Since it's threaded it would be a really poor key control system. You could just get the key by unscrewing the device! :D

I swear I've seen one of these before, but despite days of thinking about it I cannot remember where. My best guess is it's a part to put together furniture from Ikea.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,407 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,301 Posts
@Carl Abrams ?

do new subarus come with a chastity belt ?
Yes.

It's called driving a Subaru Outback. Almost as good for picking up girls as my old Army BCG's. (birth control glasses, because if you wore those ugly black things, you weren't going to need any other form of birth control)

As for the big tag with the VIN on it in the OP's picture, that's a standard dealership stock tag. The other thing on there has absolutely nothing to do with the car, or any key inventory control system I've ever seen or heard of. We all use electronic systems for key tracking in the dealerships around here. (And we can still lose the darned things.)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,977 Posts
As for the big tag with the VIN on it in the OP's picture, that's a standard dealership stock tag. The other thing on there has absolutely nothing to do with the car, or any key inventory control system I've ever seen or heard of. We all use electronic systems for key tracking in the dealerships around here. (And we can still lose the darned things.)
now you got me thinking. at that specific dealer = the screw could go into a peg board or rod to hold keys. like handy for the sales / service / lot / prep people to walk from car to car using.
(vs. getting one stuck in one's pocket,...and driving home with it).

and they just lost this handy screw.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts