Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was wondering what this part was in the picture below. it is kinda urgent

it is the curved one on the right side of the picture that looks like it is attached to the brake but i am not positive on that.

so what is it? what does it do? how important is it? and if it broke how much would it cost to fix/replace?

i really need help please.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Though it's hard to tell without any other information, it looks like the cable/wiring that goes to a wheel speed or ABS sensor. I would refer to the factory service manual or a parts diagram to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
2004 OBW 5spd
17 Posts
The one on the right looks like a brake line. The one on the left is the wiring for the ABS sensor, I do believe.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
ItsJustJosh is just correct.

Is the one in the picture yours? If so, it appears to be leaking. Its a brake hose. The small portion of metal is to attach it to the strut to insure it remains stable and out of the way of the wheel in turns. If its leaking, it needs to be replaced and at least the one caliper bled of air. Get it from Subaru or check Subaru Parts Warehouse - Subaru Parts - Subaru Performance Parts . An aftermarket hose may not fit correctly.

In replacement of the brake hose, it will benefit you to spray the joints heavily with PB Blaster to loosen the rust. Use new copper seals unless the caliper has the stainless seals currently, in which case you can reuse the stainless.

And, its only as important as the proper function of the brakes. Not just that wheel. All of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so by chance i found that the piece that broke was called the front stabalizer bar that the pasenger side snapped. and it is for a 2000 subaru outback... so my questions about it are:

How much would it cost to fix/replace it

how important to the car is that piece?

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
The sway bar itself runs a bit over $100...

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=2447

...to have it installed, you have to talk to a shop. If I had to guess, I'd guess it would be another $100 labor to install, but I just pulled that out of my ass...some shops will gouge you, some will be more reasonable.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
If it actually is the sway bar (rare) versus the sway bar link (much more likely), the front is quite important. I'd get that fixed as soon as you can. An emergency maneuver with no front sway bar is not good.

If it's the link, it's maybe $25 for the part and it's not hard to replace. Two bolts. Still just as important to replace, but very easy versus the entire sway bar.

·
Premium Member
15,483 Posts
so by chance i found that the piece that broke was called the front stabalizer bar that the pasenger side snapped. and it is for a 2000 subaru outback... so my questions about it are:

How much would it cost to fix/replace it

how important to the car is that piece?
Talk about a flip. :rolleyes:

There was no indication to the missing bar in the photo.

The bar helps keep the car stable and both wheels planted to insure traction in turns and emergency maneuvers. That's why it's called a "stabilizer".

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
my concern was, he was referring to the LCA but....maybe he can ID the part from a diagram for us.

·
Premium Member
15,483 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts