Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
O3 Sub Outback Wagon 2.5L AWD 4EAT w/ All-weather Package
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

What is the sensor below the alternator on my 03 2.5? I thought it was the oil pressure switch as it is leaking oil, but part I got has a nipple that is way to big?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
The sensor under the alt is definitely the oil pressure switch for the idiot light on the dash. Couldn't tell you why a replacement doesn't look right, unless it's just a goof, wrong part etc.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Get an OEM sensor from the dealer. If you bought an aftermarket oil pressure switch that may be the problem.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Probably the crank position sensor.
Crank sensor is screwed down just above the crankshaft pulley under the alternator, but it shouldn't have any "leak". It bolts to a portion of the block that is dry unless something is leaking above it and running down.

The oil pressure switch will either leak around the threads or through it allowing for oil to pool on the block.

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
See this thread --same question (what is this sensor . . . ?)

Post #11 has photos of the top of the engine under the alternator (alternator out); the difference between the oil pressure switch and the crank sensor is apparent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts