Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Mine has the knobs. For radio, HVAC things like that.

Oh, there is an ashtray with an electric heating unit designed to light little tobacco filled paper tubes. Oh, right, before they invented Automotive Interfaces and "vaping" , maybe there is a connection.

Maybe that's why the AI (weird acronym huh?) are so hated by everyone with nothing but rants and complaints about how terrible they are. I just have to deal with clicking blender doors in the summer. D*mn auto climate control....

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts
Automobile interfaces aren't required to have names. Call it anything, I really don't care. Or maybe I do in one case only - don't call it HAL.

Manufacturers really need to focus and put their efforts into doing a good design that accounts for many different human factors, is intuitive and ergonomic, and isn't just a sales gimmick loaded with features that no one will use later.

And then they need to maintain it by fixing bugs, adding new features, upgrading performance, etc.

Their record is frankly very poor to date, judging by the comments I see posted here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Automobile interfaces aren't required to have names. Call it anything, I really don't care. Or maybe I do in one case only - don't call it HAL.

Manufacturers really need to focus and put their efforts into doing a good design that accounts for many different human factors, is intuitive and ergonomic, and isn't just a sales gimmick loaded with features that no one will use later.

And then they need to maintain it by fixing bugs, adding new features, upgrading performance, etc.

Their record is frankly very poor to date, judging by the comments I see posted here and elsewhere.
I agree with you. I did the survey but did not like any of the interface name options. I would suggest CRAP.

Automakers would be better served if they offered only radios with AM/FM/XM and navigation.

Leave the interface to cell phones and a bunch of crap apps for third party vendors to provide after the sale. All it does is cause them headaches.

See these type issues in my world on a regular basis. I work with IBM mainframes. We have to interface with Windows based systems. Not uncommon for either IBM or Microsoft to make changes/fix bugs that causes things that once worked to no longer work.

It is a never ending cycle.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
There isn't anything consistently positive enough about automobile functional interfaces to be worth giving one a brand name.

Look at how badly Microsoft was mocked for their Sync system- and it's not like the system ever truly got fixed despite massive revisions. The infamy outlived the product line.

Mother, is that you?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts
OK, if we're posting our favorite man-machine interaction film clips, I challenge anyone to top this one from just around 50 years ago:

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Have you considered Kintama?

It translates well 金玉

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts

If your car ever calls you Dave, you know you’re a goner! :surprise:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts