Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rare person when it comes to cars if that makes sense. JDM parts are quite rare. I'm interested what JDM additions people have done to their car. I have a JDM front mesh grill, and JDM rear tail lights and bar on the way. What do you have?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
I have zero, but I'd love to know where you got the JDM tails from. That'd be my first JDM part.

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
I bought JDM rear lights once. I had to return them because the center piece was poorly packed and arrived cracked in about twenty places. It was an enormous pain because the seller had no idea how the US postal system worked despite selling all his products to the US. I ended up filing a claim with eBay because he refused to send another set or return my $300.

The JDM lights are awesome looking though! You really need the center section just because the reverse lights will look really cloudy next to the clear turn signals. It also says Legacy instead of Subaru which is kinda cool.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have/am getting the whole light bar and all. I trust the packing, grill is primer black, but will be painted. Japanparts.com is a good place, I know a lot of STI owners and such, and they are fully pleased with them. I believe I will be aswell. It's just the tail light that is from the Blitzen Legacy, along with it's grill. But that is about as JDM as you will get with a Legacy platform. I'd love to import a Blitzen Legacy wagon. Blow the doors off an STI. It was built in colaberation with Porsche. Porsche actually designed the whole car, and in 2003 Andreas Zapatinas did the interior. It's my dream car, the only car i'd cry if it showed up in my driveway. 290 HP and 260 TQ, is about perfect from the factory. Sorry, random rant.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have/am getting the whole light bar and all. I trust the packing, grill is primer black, but will be painted. Japanparts.com is a good place, I know a lot of STI owners and such, and they are fully pleased with them. I believe I will be aswell. It's just the tail light that is from the Blitzen Legacy, along with it's grill. But that is about as JDM as you will get with a Legacy platform. I'd love to import a Blitzen Legacy wagon. Blow the doors off an STI. It was built in colaberation with Porsche. Porsche actually designed the whole car, and in 2003 Andreas Zapatinas did the interior. It's my dream car, the only car i'd cry if it showed up in my driveway. 290 HP and 260 TQ, is about perfect from the factory. Sorry, random rant.

Those are cool!

Link: blitzen

A bit of trivia for you, however. Being a Porschefile, I have to correct you on one thing. The Blitzen Legacy was NOT a collaborative effort with Porsche, it was a collaboration with a company known as Porsche Design. Porsche Design AG is also owned by the Porsche family, but they do not design or build cars; They are industrial design artists and have done everything from Carrera sunglasses to coffee makers. While for all intents and purposes it is the same company.....technically under German law they are two separate entities.

-Where it gets strange is the H6 engine. I've read on Porsche web forums that will remain nameless that the heads on the H6 engine were designed by Porsche, the automobile company. And it is a known fact that the variable valve timing setup on the later H6 engines is nothing more than Porsche Vario-Cam, straight from the Porsche 986 [Boxster]. You have to understand that Porsche AG is a design company that builds a car. They do engineering work for EVERY major car company in the world, and even for some motorcycle manufacturers. That engine in the Harley Davidson V-rod? It has the same 100mm bore as nearly every Porsche since 1985 for a reason.

Which all means that it is entirely likely that your everyday garden-variety LL Bean or VDC actually has more Porsche DNA than that Blitzen Legacy has!

I know it is all splitting hairs....but things like this are fun to think about.

·
Registered
13 E350
984 Posts
I have, RSK seats, corner tails, set of Rev D headlights, ohlins coilovers, and syms spoiler.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are cool!

Link: blitzen

A bit of trivia for you, however. Being a Porschefile, I have to correct you on one thing. The Blitzen Legacy was NOT a collaborative effort with Porsche, it was a collaboration with a company known as Porsche Design. Porsche Design AG is also owned by the Porsche family, but they do not design or build cars; They are industrial design artists and have done everything from Carrera sunglasses to coffee makers. While for all intents and purposes it is the same company.....technically under German law they are two separate entities.

-Where it gets strange is the H6 engine. I've read on Porsche web forums that will remain nameless that the heads on the H6 engine were designed by Porsche, the automobile company. And it is a known fact that the variable valve timing setup on the later H6 engines is nothing more than Porsche Vario-Cam, straight from the Porsche 986 [Boxster]. You have to understand that Porsche AG is a design company that builds a car. They do engineering work for EVERY major car company in the world, and even for some motorcycle manufacturers. That engine in the Harley Davidson V-rod? It has the same 100mm bore as nearly every Porsche since 1985 for a reason.

Which all means that it is entirely likely that your everyday garden-variety LL Bean or VDC actually has more Porsche DNA than that Blitzen Legacy has!

I know it is all splitting hairs....but things like this are fun to think about.

Wait, so the Blitzen was created by Porsche Deisgn, but they don't create or build cars? I'm lost on that one.. I've always been told Porsche designed the body of it/what I meant of whole car. Way over my head..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered a JDM Blitzen OEM shift knob.

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
A nice to read threat. Since I own a Euro-Spec outback it is much closer to JDM as it is to the US-market.
I guess I have JDM tails and frontlights. Even though the headlights are for lhd.

But I would love to get some US parts for my Outback. If just the shipping wasn't so expensive....

·
Registered
OBW '03 H6 VDC Euro
86 Posts
But I would love to get some US parts for my Outback. If just the shipping wasn't so expensive....
Not so many USDM parts would directly fit EuroSpec Outback. USDM Outbacks have different body panels, body trim, rear suspension, some parts of interior trim, instrumentation cluster. Even the sunroof has different size :-/

The neat thing JDM Lancasters have is OEM HID reflector headlights. Too bad they are for RHD only :(

- Serge.

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
Not so many USDM parts would directly fit EuroSpec Outback. USDM Outbacks have different body panels, body trim, rear suspension, some parts of interior trim, instrumentation cluster. Even the sunroof has different size :-/

The neat thing JDM Lancasters have is OEM HID reflector headlights. Too bad they are for RHD only :(

- Serge.
Wow I didn't know that they are that different. I would only be interested in the following parts though:

-Headlights
-Taillights (maybe)
-center console
-red door lights.

·
Registered
OBW '03 H6 VDC Euro
86 Posts
Headlights
-Taillights (maybe)
-center console
-red door lights.
Hedalights:
It depends on what model year Outback you have got. I may be wrong, but AFAIR 02-03 Euro Outbacks have different hood, fenders and front grille. Headlights will fit, but it will look... em... strange.

About taillight I'm not sure will it fit or not. I'm talking USDM taillight, of course.

And... you door lights are not red?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hubba hubba.

I want your rear bumper, front fenders, your radio and fog/cruise switches, door stills..
oohhh myyy goddd *drool*

·
Registered
1989 Subaru XT6, 1989 Subaru RX, 2004 Outback 3.0 SUS
73 Posts
Sweet. Very nice looking Outback! I like all the small differences between yours and the USDM versions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts