Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone keep a portable jump start battery in the spare tire storage compartment? I'm looking to find one that fits in there.

I have a 2013 - I don't know if the storage space is the same in other models, but I measured and have about 4.5" of vertical space and plenty of horizontal space. I was hoping the JNC660 would fit in there, but I can't find the actual dimensions of the unit, just that the box it comes in is 5" x 13" x 16" (just slightly too large).

·
Registered
38 Posts
ive thought about it, but id figure i would forget about it and it wouldnt be charged enough for when i need it..so instead i put jumper cables in there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive thought about it, but id figure i would forget about it and it wouldnt be charged enough for when i need it..so instead i put jumper cables in there.
I think I would still keep jumper cables, too - they are just too useful to not have around. But a self-jump box would come in very handy.

1) If nobody else is around jumper cables won't help
2) jump-starting somebody else using a box saves the possibility of something going wrong and screwing up my car (backwards cables, etc)
3) you can also use it as a portable power supply (power an inverter or 12V electronics, tire inflator, etc)

Having to remember to charge it IS a bit of a bummer. I think it's every 3 months or so you're supposed to recharge it.

I heard back from the manufacturer. Out of the cartoon it's only 4" thick, so it might actually fit. The other two dimensions are 15" and 13", though, so I think I may still need to cut some foam to make it go.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Some charge boxes have an option for a charger that you can plug into a car power port (cigarette lighter socket). If your OB has a cargo area power power, you could plug in that charger and then leave it lug in to the charger box in the cargo area. If the charger has a charge controller, you can leave it plugged in and have it ready to go when you need it.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Does anyone keep a portable jump start battery in the spare tire storage compartment? I'm looking to find one that fits in there.

I have a 2013 - I don't know if the storage space is the same in other models, but I measured and have about 4.5" of vertical space and plenty of horizontal space. I was hoping the JNC660 would fit in there, but I can't find the actual dimensions of the unit, just that the box it comes in is 5" x 13" x 16" (just slightly too large).
I have a flat jump start / air compressor combo. There are many of them - Google them on Amazon (with specs and sizes) for around (or less) than $ 100.00 - like you have mentioned!
It had proven many times to be a valuable gadget - better than jump start cables! I forgot the brand. I have it for almost 20 years now and I had to replace the battery in it because it would not hold the charge.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Charger/air inflator

I think it was from Griotsgarage.com website...Yes - it was the 1700 Amp version that you can see on their website....a bit expensive but well worth it! I cut some of the foam that sits on top of the spare wheel to accomodate the size.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Portable Jump Start/Air Compressor, 1700 Amp - Griot's Garage

This one?

That looks IDENTICAL to the Clore JNCAIR, apart from the name sticker. I wonder what company actually makes these for rebranding...

Clore Automotive
Could very well be ... re-branding is the name of the game these days... LOL ....I remember even one of the earlier Saab modesl was built on Subaru chassis/frame... they were sharing platforms at that time....they should have called that Saab Subaru....

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Could very well be ... re-branding is the name of the game these days... LOL ....I remember even one of the earlier Saab modesl was built on Subaru chassis/frame... they were sharing platforms at that time....they should have called that Saab Subaru....
LOL you mean the subaru with SAAB stickers and interior bits? Keep in mind GM was driving the SAAB ship - and that sort of thing is right out of the old GM play book

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
LOL you mean the subaru with SAAB stickers and interior bits? Keep in mind GM was driving the SAAB ship - and that sort of thing is right out of the old GM play book
Yep - I spent about 15 years working for those Trolls from Trollhattan, Sweden - but it was a fine automobile! Still don't understand why everybody pulled the rug from under that company; first Dutch and then Chinese. Even Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company. Don't know why GM was so stubborn and did not sell it earlier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 9-2x was referred to as a Saabaru at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
punt speedchunk
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing