Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen threads like this but I want to know what you did to your Subaru to make it distinctly yours.
I'll start off with mine. I have painted the bottom gold cladding black, and added a B&M shift knob i stole from my cj7 when the driveshaft snapped. So lets see what everyone else has!

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Haven't done much to mine to make it any more unique than all the other thousands out on Utah roads, but I've got a base model and I added the 19mm rear sway bar (best upgrade ever!), and have my Yakima racks mounted on the rails almost permanantly. I've aquired a few rock chips in the paint on the front and some minor dents that I think only I would notice.

Not all that exciting unfortunately, but I always enjoy washing it and cleaning it out and getting it packed up for another trip!

EDIT: Forgot all about my very first mod: Tint! Best thing of all.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I moved my personalized license plate from my 4Runner to the OBW. This makes in uniquely mine. No, I won't post a picture of it, but most could fingure it out.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
...the fact that I make the payments makes it mine...and the lights on the front, the rally armor mud flaps, the hella supertones horn, etc...

·
Banned
238 Posts
Four things which make my OB legally mine:
1. Paid in cash outright and have the receipt of this transaction.
2. Certificate of the Title from the DMV.
3. Notarized copy of the original MSO (Manufacturing Statement of Origin) from Subaru.
4. Letter from the dealership confirming the purchase.

·
Banned
238 Posts
...the fact that I make the payments makes it mine...and the lights on the front, the rally armor mud flaps, the hella supertones horn, etc...
The first one doesn't count. Legally, your car debt is not equal to the rightful ownership until you paid it in full and get the certificate of the title with your name on it.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
not everyone is financially secure enough to buy a car with cash. we go to the dealer and leave with car in our name, its ours til we miss a payment and then the repo guys have to find it.

·
Banned
238 Posts
not everyone is financially secure enough to buy a car with cash. we go to the dealer and leave with car in our name, its ours til we miss a payment and then the repo guys have to find it.
Financial security is an illusion in this case. Nothing prevents you to save $200 - $250 a month for ten years or so and then use this money specifically to purchase a brand new car. If you can pay your monthly payments to your creditor, why can't you make them to yourself? It's all about financial discipline vs. immediate gratification at whatever cost.
Car in your name means your name is on its Certificate of the Title. Without it it's not your car no matter what. If you miss a payment and a repo guy would have to find it, then "your" car becomes a stolen property of your creditor. They could just pull you through the court and revoke your license plates. Then you have no choice but to surrender your former "your" car. Not a pretty picture :gasp:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Will alone.

After driving it a few times while my brother owned it, and experiencing the dread of driving a completely unsuited vehicle in the winter mess in my neck of the woods, I was determined I must have a Subaru. I told him if he ever wanted rid of it, I wanted to know first. After he began to need and use it less and less, it was paid for, and he cared less and less about it, I kept nudging him until a little wheeling and dealing could get me into it. If it hadn't been his, it would have been some Subaru - an Outback, Impreza, a For... nah. Couldn't bring myself to that. But, I'm much happier with a car I already knew.

·
Banned
238 Posts
In these times of .9% money financial security is using OPM (other people's money) on a depeciating asset while your own money is appeciating.;)
Lets set it straight. Using OPM on a depreciating asset is a debt, regardless of the paid interest. Using OPM on an appreciating asset is a credit if it appreciates faster than the paid interest. You money is not appreciating until you paid all your debts and interests. It's just a spaced in time or delayed debt.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Back to the OP's intention for this thread....

- Replaced factory AT shift know with one from a 2004 Forester XT. It's more comfortable in my hand.

- Yellow fogs for lame weather.

- Lots of "autographs" from Chicago drivers who apparently don't know how to park or leave a note.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
20 Participants
Looby
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing