Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What mileage should I stop taking my 2016 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited on road trips? Looking at doing a 1k road trip in my 2016 legacy. The mileage is on the car is about 120,000 and everything on the car is well maintained. I’m just not 100% sure if I should take the trip. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
619 Posts
Go for it. I have the utmost faith in you.

Reactions: Subar12 and Dubz

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,086 Posts
If it's in the lower 48, take the trip. For a well-cared-for vehicle, all that the mileage means is that you may prepare for it a little differently.

And should you ever face an unexpected repair bill while en route, always ask yourself how much you saved by having it get you this far, as opposed to having purchased a new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Little different vehicle but we took a 150k Honda Odyssey on a 3,500 road trip this summer. No issues at all. Precautions we took: dealer inspection and oil change right before trip, took along healthy set of tools & portable air compressor. Check tire pressure and fluid levels daily. Plenty of fluids for the car (oil, brake fluid, water). Bigger prep was for the 5 humans :) have fun!

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,760 Posts
Before I could afford a reliable vehicle, I would RENT a vehicle for family vacations.

Not only did that put the oweness on the rental company if I have vehicle issues... it felt more like a vacation driving a NEW car for awhile. (many of our trips were 12-hour driving days...such as to PEI Canada)

This was back in the 1980s ... dont know if weekly rentals are still reasonable enough for this kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,666 Posts
At only 120K miles, the car is just broken in! A few years ago I took my '96 Brighton with 190K on it for a 2.5k trip and didn't even think twice about it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
120k on a car is nothing now-a-days, especially something with the reputation for longevity of a Subaru. I drive my 3.6R to work 2.5 hours a day, every week day, 159k so far. And I'd drive it across the USA tomorrow if I needed to.
This goes especially for a well maintained car.

·
Registered
Outback Wagon, 2004, H6 3.0
268 Posts
120K, well maintained? It is nothing.
I bought my car with 75K in 2008 and next 5 years was putting 20K/year taking it to at least 2 3K round trips a year. Then slowed down since I got different bigger vehicle. Last time I took it from Chicago to Maine when it had 225K in the summer of 2019.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
I was still taking my old 2003 on trips at 167,000 when we sold her. She's somewhere in the 210,000 range these days.

If service and repairs are up to date, there isn't a mileage I'd stop using them for. Repairs are what turn my cars into "around town only" vehicles. See also: Mal sitting in a busted heap currently. Again.

Reactions: Subar12

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Little different vehicle but we took a 150k Honda Odyssey on a 3,500 road trip this summer. No issues at all. Precautions we took: dealer inspection and oil change right before trip, took along healthy set of tools & portable air compressor. Check tire pressure and fluid levels daily. Plenty of fluids for the car (oil, brake fluid, water). Bigger prep was for the 5 humans :) have fun!
If it's in the lower 48, take the trip. For a well-cared-for vehicle, all that the mileage means is that you may prepare for it a little differently.

And should you ever face an unexpected repair bill while en route, always ask yourself how much you saved by having it get you this far, as opposed to having purchased a new one.
Thank you Everybody! normally before I big trip like this I get everything check with my
Mechanic. I am just wondering because I’m going to do the same trip next year September and I’m expecting my legacy to be 150,000 miles by then. I was thinking on buying an outback so I wouldn’t deal with a potential headache. But talking to some people that have either have foresters or outback’s they claim that they read that people take their subarus on 5k road trips when their subarus are at the 300k mileage mark. But I definitely really do appreciate the feedback. I will keep it in mind! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But also
120k on a car is nothing now-a-days, especially something with the reputation for longevity of a Subaru. I drive my 3.6R to work 2.5 hours a day, every week day, 159k so far. And I'd drive it across the USA tomorrow if I needed to.
This goes especially for a well maintained car.
I used to do the same on my Subaru I drove about 120 miles daily because I work in New York City. But I been hearing about city mileage and how it’s bad for your engine and transmission. So it just kept me hesitant for the long driving.

·
Registered
1998 Outback Limited
144 Posts
I would not hesitate to drive my 1998 OB with almost 250,000 miles, across country. Still runs mint and uses no oil. 2.5 L with original head gaskets! Of course, my Ecodiesel Ram would be much better for such a trip and more friendly to my back and arse, hehe.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
327 Posts
My dad and I just took a trip with his 1996 Nissan pathfinder, with over 340,000miles on it.

As long as you maintain the vehicle, then mileage should not be an issue.

Reactions: N4HHE and Subar12

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,208 Posts
Not only did that put the oweness on the rental company if I have vehicle issues... it felt more like a vacation driving a NEW car for awhile.
Darn computers think they can spell better than we can. "Onus" is the word you are looking for.

As for driving a rental car on vacation (or work), I never feel comfortable driving an unfamiliar car or truck. It is an adventure when it is my new car but not when it is a rental.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As for driving a rental car on vacation (or work), I never feel comfortable driving an unfamiliar car or truck. It is an adventure when it is my new car but not when it is a rental.
True. But I always feel better when my car is sitting safely at home in my garage. Makes up for the unfamiliar car.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,208 Posts
True. But I always feel better when my car is sitting safely at home in my garage. Makes up for the unfamiliar car.
Well, I don't buy cars or motorcycles to look at and keep pretty without using. Road trips are the times I most appreciate my car, my options, and the junk I keep in the back Just In Case.

Earlier this year a friend sold 3 of his 4 motorcycles in order to purchase a slightly used Harley-Davidson. Next few months we never saw his Goldwing, only the Harley-Davidson. Then suddenly he shows up on a Yamaha. "What happened to the H-D?" "Nothing, just bought the Yamaha to keep from wearing out the H-D. Its up to 6,000 miles!"

My 5 year old Yamaha has 78,000 miles and I just mounted the 12th front tire last Friday. I have no sympathy for those who do not actually use their vehicles. Then again my Outback is several months older than the Yamaha but has only 21,000 miles.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, I don't buy cars or motorcycles to look at and keep pretty without using. Road trips are the times I most appreciate my car, my options, and the junk I keep in the back Just In Case.

Earlier this year a friend sold 3 of his 4 motorcycles in order to purchase a slightly used Harley-Davidson. Next few months we never saw his Goldwing, only the Harley-Davidson. Then suddenly he shows up on a Yamaha. "What happened to the H-D?" "Nothing, just bought the Yamaha to keep from wearing out the H-D. Its up to 6,000 miles!"

My 5 year old Yamaha has 78,000 miles and I just mounted the 12th front tire last Friday. I have no sympathy for those who do not actually use their vehicles. Then again my Outback is several months older than the Yamaha but has only 21,000 miles.
Please don't take my comments about my garaged car as the normal for it's existence. I drive my 2016 3.6R and drive it a lot. When we take day trips, it goes while my wife's lease sits (I own my cars). I bought it to drive and understood I'd have 200K on it by the time it was paid for. Understand that I drive 450 miles a week just getting back and forth to work, 1.2 hours each way. Right now it's at 159K, on it's fourth set of tires, third set of rear pads, second set of rear rotors, second set of front pads, and third windshield. On the 22nd it's getting the Starlink update performed as well as front and rear diff and CVT fluid changes.
When we choose to fly vs drive, yes, I feel pretty good that my car is getting a break at home and not at risk of damage or loss.

My 1980 Yamaha 850SG speedo broke at 38k ten years ago so I have no idea how many miles it has on it.

·
Registered
Outback Wagon, 2004, H6 3.0
268 Posts
Please don't take my comments about my garaged car as the normal for it's existence. I drive my 2016 3.6R and drive it a lot. When we take day trips, it goes while my wife's lease sits (I own my cars). I bought it to drive and understood I'd have 200K on it by the time it was paid for. Understand that I drive 450 miles a week just getting back and forth to work, 1.2 hours each way. Right now it's at 159K, on it's fourth set of tires, third set of rear pads, second set of rear rotors, second set of front pads, and third windshield. On the 22nd it's getting the Starlink update performed as well as front and rear diff and CVT fluid changes.
When we choose to fly vs drive, yes, I feel pretty good that my car is getting a break at home and not at risk of damage or loss.

My 1980 Yamaha 850SG speedo broke at 38k ten years ago so I have no idea how many miles it has on it.
This is not uncommon. Especially for people who lease. I have many friends who have particular plans on what mileage they want to see on their cars by a certain year when they want to part with them. They try to avoid taking their cars on trips across the country. More often other considerations kick in. Like say having to rent a much bigger vehicle to fit the whole family, friends and their gear. I recall on guy renting a Ford Transit to go Vail to ski.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,978 Posts
120K? pfft lolol not even broke in yet. just drive it and keep up on ye ol' maintenance.. I am at 161K and road trip my car every 3 months or so....I have taken road trips on multiple cars with over 150K on them and never once did I have troubles. I average 2000 miles a trip...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts