Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback R Premium 3.0 H6
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It makes sense in my financial situation to minimise upkeep expenses, without drastically shortening the car's lifespan. What sort or maintenance is required to prevent premature death, but not much more?

It just had the 200,000km service. Can I just stick to regular scheduled maintenance from here on (oil and filters etc), or should I continue to replace cracked boots, mounts etc as they're identified?

I'd rather saving money towards a newer car than spending too much on insurance/upkeep on an old gas guzzler

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
200,000km = 124,000 miles.

you want to replace cracked boots as they happen, it makes the car hard to drive without a boot and grease on the axle. (subaru axles are great though compared to aftermarket junk that may vibrate and lower resale value. just have to pay someone to reboot one with a subaru boot).

you can drive on the iridium NGK spark plugs a while if you are tight on money.

unless you get misfires, the next owner can replace them.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts
It just had the 200,000km service.
This sentence says that you may be following the dealer service organization's recommendations.

In the US, they usually overdo these recommendations in the name of $profit$. This may also be true where you are located (since you quoted km, I would assume it's outside the US). So the best savings you could realize is to cut it back to absolutely no more than what the user manual says to do, as opposed to what the dealer says.

You can also learn to DIY, if you have tools. There are a lot of good pictorial guides and videos available here and elsewhere to learn.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R Premium 3.0 H6
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't get my services done by subaru, so they're making no profit from me! I'm only doing it by the manual at the moment.

I can DIY easily enough, but I do like having it done professionally because they can identify issues that I wouldn't. The service itself doesn't cost much, but repairs do. The question is which common problems need to be fixed, and which can be ignored. I just got cracked boots replaced and costs like that add up.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,180 Posts
Fuel, oil and water that is all she needs.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts