Votes: 43 7.8%

Votes: 55 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Jondalar said:
:cursin: I can't vote, there's no button for 2005! (sorry, just having a little dig about how we have the 3rd Gen here already) :D
There is now ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
My OB is an '02 and also have a '90 Legacy sedan.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Which year seems to be the most favorable or is the most durable?

Also, what special things should one look for/things to watch out for when purchasing an OB?

When was the Legacy Outback last made?

Thanks!

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Technically all Outbacks are still based on the Legacy platform, except for the OBS which is on the Impreza platform. afaik the first year of the Outback as line/model unto itself was 1996. Before that it was a different Legacy trim.

·
Registered
137 Posts
SHO Type U said:
Also, what special things should one look for/things to watch out for when purchasing an OB?

Thanks! [/B]
The only thing I can offer is the '96-'97 DOHC 2.5(EJ25) motors have a reputation for the front crankshaft seal prematurely failing. When I called Dad (he was a district rep for N. California since '88) this is what he told me.

My '96 needed this replaced within the first 6 months after purchased new(I ordered it special through my Dad). Then by 11k it needed it again. Then again right after I changed the camshaft belt at around 70k. Then the new owner (trade in for '02 w/102k miles) called regarding the cambelt and said the seal was leaking again.

Reliability wise, the '96 was outstanding. Any model would be great trust us.

Todd

·
Registered
111 Posts
I dunno about anyone else, but I preferred the 96 to 99 model years body, the contemporary slightly rounded look, the newer ones are a little too round for my liking, just an opinion, give me your thoughts,

·
Registered
800 Posts
Frojo said:
I dunno about anyone else, but I preferred the 96 to 99 model years body, the contemporary slightly rounded look, the newer ones are a little too round for my liking, just an opinion, give me your thoughts,
I agree with about the change post '99 -2004. I thought the wagon looked heavy and bulky and the front facia was too 'soft' and lacked the agressive look of the '99's and prior. I have to say I love the new look though, espcially the OB with the crimps in the hood and body cladding. Looks much better than a stock Legacy.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woodstock20723 said:

I agree with about the change post '99 -2004. I thought the wagon looked heavy and bulky and the front facia was too 'soft' and lacked the agressive look of the '99's and prior. I have to say I love the new look though, espcially the OB with the crimps in the hood and body cladding. Looks much better than a stock Legacy.
Ditto.
The body cladding on the 2nd Gen. OB was a bad idea, I've always been surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Woodstock20723 said:

does anyone see an alligator or croc when they look at the new outback? and maybe a ford taurus when they looked at the 00-04 model?

·
Registered
134 Posts
dante said:
78 Legacy wagon and 05 OB LLBean.
"78" - I didn't know they had a "Legacy" in 78. Are you calling an old 78 4wd a "Legacy". I think the first Subie I ever saw was a 78 4wd wagon. My friends dad had it, maroon. It was quite small and distintive around all the big ugly American cars in my neighborhood. I would love to have one now.

All Subarus, except the 6-cyl are available with manual transmissions. OB wagons are pretty rare with manuals though. You might have better luck looking for a Legacy GT wagon with a manual - similar vehicle.

I prefer a manual in general, but on G2 Outbacks, I prefer the automatic. I have never seen a G2 Outback sedan with a stick.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
51 Participants
Will
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing