Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long along, I made this thread that explained I found a spoiler in the junkyard, but the seals were ripped/dry rotted.
@The Rigger stated "I replaced the OEM seals on the spoiler I bought here with some sheet rubber I bought from McMaster-Carr." I've tried to get in touch with them, but I haven't gotten a response, and I figured I would post on here as a separate thread.

I took a look at the McMaster-Carr website, and there are quite a few options for sheet rubber. Does anyone have suggestions which rubber to choose or any experience making seals/gaskets successfully from sheet rubber? All advice is welcome!

Here's the link to the sheet rubber options: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=19avqc5

Thanks!

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
go to a lumberyard, get some MD "foam window seal" air sealing tape, small gaps closed pvc foam, sticky on both sides comes in a roll. 3/16" H x 3/8" W x 17' L
I got mine for a couple bucks. It was grey, so i just took the roll out, kept it coiled, and spray painted both sides with black paint a few light coats.
WORKS perfect

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I'm not familiar with all the materials on there, but I've used both santoprene and butyl on various automotive projects over the years. I'd think either would work for what you're trying to do.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Sorry; I've been busy out in the offline world for a bit. I've replied to you off-list.

If anyone else was wondering, I used a sheet of 1/8" thick weather-resistant EPDM rubber. One square foot cost me around eleven bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts