Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to the forum from Colorado! I have a 2004 Outback with the 2.5 EJ251 with 189k. I purchased the car back (also got an 05 for the wife) in July from a used car dealer. Recently I’ve been having over heating issues with the ‘04 and I have replaced the thermostat with OE, new radiator, water pump, timing belt. After all that I figured out it was what? Oh you guessed it the head gasket.

I have the car going into the shop to have the gaskets replaced at the end of the month. I did a bunch of research on this forum and decided to go with the six star MLS head gaskets. Since the car is going into the shop and the engine is being pulled from the car I was curious if there was anything I should replace while the engine was out?

I was thinking oil pan gasket, transmission filter and fluid, rear main seal, maybe oil pump?

I know the head bolts need to be replaced I was thinking about grabbing the felpro head bolt kit.

Should I just get the felpro head gasket kit and use the six star gaskets (obviously)

Just completely new to Subaru and the boxer engine. I’m used to Toyota. I appreciate any and all advice!!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
19,398 Posts
almost everyone would re-use the head bolts. Cleaning them and the block meticulously and lubing them is critical but the bolts will likely be OK to re-use. Hopefully the shop will surface the heads appropriately.

Inspecting the air-oil separater plate for seeping would be a good idea. Not common on newer cars with metal plate. Auto trans filter is a 50/50 thing but, must be an actual OEM style replacement if changed. It isn't built like a typical oil filter regardless of how it looks.

good time to check engine mounts and maybe other rubber bits/hoses. Others here will have better ideas I'm sure. If you want to investigate upgraded mounts/bushings, check with fellow Coloradan user @traildogck .

·
Registered
Outback H6, Range Rover,
155 Posts
Don't get carried away ;)
No need to change the oil pump, I think the mechanics can tell you that, may be the waterpump, but in the almost 30 years of owning cars, cars with a few KMs on the clock, I only had once a failing waterpump..

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,271 Posts
Depends how they're doing it. The engine does not need to come out to do SOHC head gaskets, so oil pan and rear main would add labor. If the engine is coming out, reseal the rear oil separator plate (replace with steel if yours is aluminum or plastic).

Your car has a 7mm oil pump. Scrap it. Get a 10mm WRX one.

If the overheating was caused by leaking head gaskets, then they were done incorrectly once. Make sure to only use OEM head gaskets (preferably STi MLS ones), and have the heads resurfaced.

OEM water pumps rarely fail. But, since someone used the wrong head gaskets once, they likely used a cheap water pump/gasket before. Yea, might as well replace. Make sure that, at the very least, it uses an OEM style stamped steel gasket, not a paper one (most aftermarket companies have figured that out by now).

OEM head bolts do not need to be replaced unless they're damaged. Inspect per the FSM, and replace with OEM only (you can replace just individual damaged ones, if necessary).

Really only need Intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, coolant bridge orings, valve cover gaskets and head gaskets. Don't bother with a "kit" if you're not going to use the head gaskets.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
19,398 Posts
good post by numb,yep, if that is a model with the 7mm oil pump, consider a 9 or maybe 10 as said above. Read of that several times before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.