Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Legacy Outback 3.0L 6 Cyl VDC AWD
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my Outback at a Subaru service center today for an airbag recall and asked where the logo came from and what it means. They gave me this hand out FYI:

---

As the first automaker to use a Japanese word as its name, Subaru has established a universal brand identity thanks to global use of it's six-star emblem. Back in 1953, FujiHeavy Industries was created through an investment in 5 separate companies. Soon, these 5 entities merged with FHI, including the automobile manufacturing division. The term "Subaru" is also the Japanese name for a cluster of stars in the Taurus constellation, known to many by the name "Pleiades." These stars are also known as Messier 45 or "The seven Sisters," because according to Greek mythology, they were once Atlas' daughters: Alcyone, Asterope, Merope, Maia, Taygeta, Celaeno, and Electra.

Surely you're already wondering why are there only six stars in the Subaru logo if it's named after a constellation of seven daughters? The reasons is to the name eye, the cluster of stars appears to one have six stars-two are so close together, they appear as one big star. Thus, the Pleiades constellation is know for being a "unification of the stars."

In Subaru's logo, the large star symbolizes Fuji Heavy Industries and the first smaller stars indicate the 5 companies that merged to form FHI. The emblem's background is nearly always blue, as the color of the actual Pleiades stars are blue.

Subaru's emblem has remained consistently used around the world since 1958, emphasizing the brand's ongoing, global unity.

Enjoying learning about the Subaru logo? Check out the rest of the News Wheel's "Behind the Badge" series. <http://thenewswheel.com/topics/meaning-brand-logos/>

---

Kinda cool yes? Enjoy,
DocSubie

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Avatar image at left was the logo of Nakajima Aircraft, one of FHI's distant predecessor companies.

"3 airplanes advancing towards the viewer, with control yoke in center" is the interpretation I liked best, though I can't claim to know if it is accurate.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
we may have an extensive thread somewhere about Subaru history.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,207 Posts
Surely you're already wondering why are there only six stars in the Subaru logo if it's named after a constellation of seven daughters? The reasons is to the name eye, the cluster of stars appears to one have six stars-two are so close together, they appear as one big star. Thus, the Pleiades constellation is know for being a "unification of the stars."
After spending a lot of time reading on this forum I just assumed they used six stars because the 3.6r guys keep telling us how heavenly the six cylinder is. :laugh:

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Google the star cluster and how to find it. You can spot their blueish hot haze with the naked eye in a relatively dark environment, i've done it about 1,000 times.

·
Registered
2012 OB 3.6r lim
16 Posts
Always my favorite messier object to gander at. With a 20cm (8") aperture telescope, the blue haze of their surrounding nebulae is beautiful to look at.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Always my favorite messier object to gander at. With a 20cm (8") aperture telescope, the blue haze of their surrounding nebulae is beautiful to look at.
Post more posts and you can PM MAS...10 or 15 ... Not sure.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
Post more posts and you can PM MAS...10 or 15 ... Not sure.

15 to pm back and forth.

10 to post links, starting to see youtube links from those less then 10 though.

(forum software may check and see that those are safe enough, lots of google analytics running here and they own youtube.).

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
368 Posts
The logo shows stars in outer space. It means that most Subaru owners are spaced-out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts