Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having tire issues and have been reading lots of reviews both here and on other forums but I see so many people commenting like, "I've had my Conti Pure Contacts for 3,000 miles and I really love them" or "I'm really happy with my Michelin Premiers with 10,000 miles and I'm sure I'll get at least 60,000 miles out of them." One guy in the Forester forum said he'd run the Michelin Defender LTX on his van for years and gotten 80k miles and just put them on his Forester and they were wearing so well on that after like 3,000 miles that he was sure he'd get 100,000 miles out of them, LOL. Heck my OEM Duellers looked really good at 15k so how well can we really know a tire in the 1st 1/3rd of its life?

My point is that so many people are quick to praise their tires early on (I guess we all like to feel good about our purchase after spending hard earned money) but I haven't come across many posts or reviews where people are saying, "I've had these on for 40,000+ and they've been so good that I'm definitely putting on a new pair when they wear out". I recently learned an expensive lesson that these Outbacks can be hard on tires compared to other cars so I'd really like to hear from some people that have racked up some serious miles but still aren't trying out different tires trying to find something that these Outbacks won't eat so fast. I now understand that there aren't many tires out there that will be in good shape after 40k on these cars so I'm not asking for tires that will make it to their 70k warranties but I would like to know what tires people have loved for the full 40k to where they are set on getting the same thing when it's time to replace.

I need something that is durable as we drive a lot (put 23k on in 9 months) so it has to hold up for highway speeds where these cars tend to eat tires but it also has to be decent in the snow as we do an annual 8 week ski trip out west and next year's trip will be even more driving (thanks to the Ikon pass) with a few weeks in Colorado, Utah, Jackson Hole WY, Big Sky Montana, Lake Tahoe and Mammoth. I understand better ice performance means softer compounds and better tread wear means hard compounds so I get that those are conflicting. A week ago I would have said snow performance is a bit more important but after this last trip, I'd say durability is definitely more important. Heck I got by in High School in Tahoe with totally bald tires so anything will perform better than what I learned to drive with.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I’ve run just about every option in the past 18yrs on the Subaru. The only brand I used more than once was Bridgestone, Michelin and BFG. My top hands down favorite tire Right now I’d buy another set no doubt great wear decent snow performance durable and good in the dirt are the BFG Advantage Pro I have right around 20k rough miles and they look great right now. Very impressed so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve run just about every option in the past 18yrs on the Subaru. The only brand I used more than once was Bridgestone, Michelin and BFG. My top hands down favorite tire Right now I’d buy another set no doubt great wear decent snow performance durable and good in the dirt are the BFG Advantage Pro I have right around 20k rough miles and they look great right now. Very impressed so far.
Thanks! Is that the same as the Advantage T/A Sport because I've searched for this one a couple times today and nothing comes up with Pro in it?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
I think you are going to be out looking for Nokian WRG3, or Toyo Celcius, or Michelin X Ice 3?
(= all these are hardened snow tires that can last a summer, @Brucey tries to do this on family cars I think on X ice 3?)

but I would run snows on rims, and a set of Michelin Premiers for the 3 seasons.
such makes each set last longer ...a lot longer,...even at consumer reports.

( I live where I have do drive in 6" of snow, and ice often,...ski mountains a plenty in upstate NY. where snow tires are on lots of things passing by, ...some with studs like mine ...= coopers with studs put up a great racket, with deep mean old style knobby bi-directional tread).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are going to be out looking for Nokian WRG3, or Toyo Celcius, or Michelin X Ice 3?
(= all these are hardened snow tires that can last a summer, @Brucey tries to do this on family cars I think on X ice 3?)

but I would run snows on rims, and a set of Michelin Premiers for the 3 seasons.
such makes each set last longer ...a lot longer,...even at consumer reports.

( I live where I have do drive in 6" of snow, and ice often,...ski mountains a plenty in upstate NY. where snow tires are on lots of things passing by, ...some with studs like mine ...= coopers with studs put up a great racket, with deep mean old style knobby bi-directional tread).
If I still lived out west I'd do that for sure but now I just need one set of tires as I'd wear out the snows driving from Florida to Colorado and beyond. After my recent experience I'm so gun shy about tire wear so I'd prefer to be under gunned in the snow than driving out there with softer tires. I need something that will wear well the other 10 months but that don't absolutely suck in the snow. The Duellers were not confidence inspiring going over the pass the 44 days I went over the pass to Winter Park, Loveland and Copper but I made due.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea sorry this one

https://www.tires-easy.com/225-60-1...MI8s35363Z2QIVSU1-Ch213wznEAQYBSABEgIf3PD_BwE

Its a new tread though I see the older more freeway style tread shown still in many places. Costco is selling allot of them. I use Discount tire. They look good on the OB also just enough shoulder lug to look like they are more than just pavement beaters.
Do you mean the tread is different from what yours are? If so I wonder how these would compare performance wise. I see that the tread is rated at 600 vs 700 on some of the others I'm looking at.

Dang that price though looks really tempting to try! At Sam's club they are $580 out the door but that's even better!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,325 Posts
If I still lived out west I'd do that for sure but now I just need one set of tires as I'd wear out the snows driving from Florida to Colorado and beyond. After my recent experience I'm so gun shy about tire wear so I'd prefer to be under gunned in the snow than driving out there with softer tires. I need something that will wear well the other 10 months but that don't absolutely suck in the snow. The Duellers were not confidence inspiring going over the pass the 44 days I went over the pass to Winter Park, Loveland and Copper but I made due.
how many miles on the original OEM bridgestone suck tires ?

and it should be noted that you have some type of 2017 (you can hit the link next to the ? in my signature and fill out the about my car section, and it will appear on the left. maybe your area too ...florida makes for real problems for wear.

I like the idea of Premiers as they have widening sipes to pump the same amount of water as they age.
(but around 30,000 miles they will SUCK on snow).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Do you mean the tread is different from what yours are? If so I wonder how these would compare performance wise. I see that the tread is rated at 600 vs 700 on some of the others I'm looking at.

Dang that price though looks really tempting to try! At Sam's club they are $580 out the door but that's even better!
No thats the tread of the new tire. And what I have. There is a older style that shows up in some searches different tread old model etc

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I don't think I have kept a tire that long. Weather it be due to them not lasting that long or changing the tire I run most tires that I have run have been the sticky summer variety that your lucky to get 20k miles out of.

Gleaning information from your other thread you have running over there I would recommend you check out the Continential DWS.

*edit* Checking tires available in your size I don't see the DWS but the Pure contact looks very similar in tread design.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-pure-contact/p/14006

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think I have kept a tire that long. Weather it be due to them not lasting that long or changing the tire I run most tires that I have run have been the sticky summer variety that your lucky to get 20k miles out of.

Gleaning information from your other thread you have running over there I would recommend you check out the Continential DWS.

*edit* Checking tires available in your size I don't see the DWS but the Pure contact looks very similar in tread design.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-pure-contact/p/14006
That is one on the list of tires I'm considering but I encountered several people that loved it in the beginning and then not so much after it got some miles on it. That's why I started this thread because it seems like owners keep searching for something that will last and perform but nothing is really standing out. I'm trying to find multiple people's experience that is favorable with a tire like Subiesailor has had with his BFGs.

Are you all fine with how your Subaru does with tires or is there something about these cars you like so much that you are willing to accept what appears to be a flawed design that is killing these tires earlier than most cars would?

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
That is one on the list of tires I'm considering but I encountered several people that loved it in the beginning and then not so much after it got some miles on it. That's why I started this thread because it seems like owners keep searching for something that will last and perform but nothing is really standing out. I'm trying to find multiple people's experience that is favorable with a tire like Subiesailor has had with his BFGs.

Are you all fine with how your Subaru does with tires or is there something about these cars you like so much that you are willing to accept what appears to be a flawed design that is killing these tires earlier than most cars would?

Tires are like anything else. You have to pick your top 3 needs. (IE treadlife, wett handling, snow handling, tire noise, and so on)

Then pick a tire that meets the needs you have. You will not find a single tire that will be the best at everything.

For the price I have found Continental tires to be very capable. Now if price is not a issue BFG makes some very good tires but they don't give them away either.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,325 Posts
yours is a rare thread. rare as in like none exist in recent months,
from owners of 2010-present outbacks to suggest a "design flaw".

which makes me think you have a issue in your car, like alignment or something is busted.

and the only gripe anyone has: the OEM tires suck in snow, and wear too fast, ...because they are sucky tires.

...after they are replaced people don't type anything bad.

______-

that said, people are ordering Ascents now looking for delivery in the end of June.
(the bigger tougher subaru, with the class 3 factory trailer hitch,...and the 5000# max limit, ...don't have a number on tongue weight yet).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone have experience with the Yokohama YK740? I've never owned Yokohama before but I've been calling around to different tire shops in different parts of the country to try to get feedback on tires that perform well in their area. Calling 2 Discount tires in Colorado, one near our home in Asheville, NC and one near our place in Florida and all 4 of them said their first choice for my vehicle would be this Yoko as they say it's a beast in the snow (well, the Fl guy didn't say that) but also lasts a long time. This could mean that these are really good tires or it could mean that they recently had a training session where they were told to push these tires.

I'm still very much considering the BFG Advantage T/A Sport that @subiesailor mentioned but when I asked these shops about them they didn't have much experience with them as they haven't sold enough to know how they perform. One shop in NC said he didn't think that tread pattern would be great in the snow and then a shop in CO said the tread looked like it could be decent in snow so that's kind of conflicting.

The NC store said that the Conti Pure Contact wasn't doing great in the mountains because they wore quickly with all of the curves thru the mtns. Everyone seemed to like Michelins but thought the Yoko were at least as good for less money. However, the BFGs are a lot cheaper so I'm still tempted by them but there are not many reviews and my one concern for them is how they'd do in the snow.

I'm surprised that there haven't been more comments from people with 30k-40k miles and it still makes me question people's contentment with tires on these. If I posted this same thread on the Lexus forum there would be 3-4 tires that would keep coming up with I've got 40k, 50, 60k on such and such tire and absolutely love 'em. With the BFG's being the cheapest that may be the way to go for me to see how they do while we decide what we are doing with this car.

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
AWD vehicles go through tires faster then FWD or RWD. Also Subaru tend to go through tires quicker then the other AWD offerings due to how the drive system works compared to other AWD systems.

That said in my experiance the kind of people that own/afford Subaru vehicles tend to stick around the $130-$175 a tire range. Most tires in that range have a life expectancy of 30k miles or less.

So the combination of these 2 factors will lend to why your not getting a ton of options as feedback in your other thread.

Does anyone have experience with the Yokohama YK740? I've never owned Yokohama before but I've been calling around to different tire shops in different parts of the country to try to get feedback on tires that perform well in their area. Calling 2 Discount tires in Colorado, one near our home in Asheville, NC and one near our place in Florida and all 4 of them said their first choice for my vehicle would be this Yoko as they say it's a beast in the snow (well, the Fl guy didn't say that) but also lasts a long time. This could mean that these are really good tires or it could mean that they recently had a training session where they were told to push these tires.

I'm still very much considering the BFG Advantage T/A Sport that @subiesailor mentioned but when I asked these shops about them they didn't have much experience with them as they haven't sold enough to know how they perform. One shop in NC said he didn't think that tread pattern would be great in the snow and then a shop in CO said the tread looked like it could be decent in snow so that's kind of conflicting.

The NC store said that the Conti Pure Contact wasn't doing great in the mountains because they wore quickly with all of the curves thru the mtns. Everyone seemed to like Michelins but thought the Yoko were at least as good for less money. However, the BFGs are a lot cheaper so I'm still tempted by them but there are not many reviews and my one concern for them is how they'd do in the snow.

I'm surprised that there haven't been more comments from people with 30k-40k miles and it still makes me question people's contentment with tires on these. If I posted this same thread on the Lexus forum there would be 3-4 tires that would keep coming up with I've got 40k, 50, 60k on such and such tire and absolutely love 'em. With the BFG's being the cheapest that may be the way to go for me to see how they do while we decide what we are doing with this car.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,717 Posts
I def. lean towards sacrificing tread life for stickier compound - due to the risk of buying 4 tires if one is damaged and unrepairable. so, yeah 'somewhat' cheaper tires, but more often.

really liking the Pirelli Cinturatos on the wife's Outback. Pricier than the Kumho Solus but I think worth it. Helped us survive white-out conditions on return trip from Colorado.

but, not quite the same weather/driving conditions over-all as the OP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2002 Outback Sedan with VDC and the H-6, now at 148,000 miles. The OEM tires were Bridgestones, they ran for about 80,000 miles I recall, but were not designed for heavy snow or ice work. The next set were Nokians, selected specifically for great snow traction and especially stopping distance. The performance was decent but I found them very noisy and the soft rubber did cause them to wear faster. I recall I got about 60,000 on them. Now having moved to the mountain country in North Vermont, the third set had to be selected to provide good treadwear but also perform great on icy roads. The roads here are not cleared as great as you might like, mostly due to VT being a poor rural State, and you get serious winter storms. After asking around and quite a bit of research I selected the Hankook Optimo 727, which some of the locals swear by, and these sold for $85 on Amazon (independent reseller as I recall). With the first quite severe winter under our belts, I can report they perform just great. Very stable platform in heavy snow and iced-up roads.

Please note that there are TWO versions of the Hankook Optimo: the 724 and the 727. The 727 is the one with the superior tread and construction, the 724 is no good for mountain winter work. The 727 will allow for 4-season use, they are quiet on the highway in the summer, which is a major improvement over the Nokians. I have no idea how they would perform in a hot, humid environment such as Florida, but Southern users should note that the heavy sunlight will deteriorate tire sidewalls, unless you park indoors or use tire covers. You don't need that in Vermont (!). At $85 plus $12 for mounting, I consider the 727 to be a great buy. We shall see how they hold up. My guess is over 60K, probably 70K.

Incidentally the 2002 has not yet had a wheel alignment since new, so if you can avoid banging into potholes the design seems to be plenty solid. I did pull the front hubs to change the wheel bearings, but marked the position of the strut so it went back exactly where it was on re-assembly. If you do that job be sure to torque the bearing in at the exact spec, if you do not then the bearing will rapidly fail. I think the torque setting for the fronts is 152 ft. lbs., but that is from memory. I used Timken bearings and Timken does have an on-line torque table for each car, so you can source the exact setting. Cheers.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts

The BFG Advantage ta sport is a new tire basically. Plus oddly BFG is only really a known brand to truck types. So its not a tire people instanty think of putting on their car. I really like the tire! Last yr in Tahoe it did decent in the snow better than I had figured it would. Of all the tires I’ve run have had 3cars at the house since 2004 and now have 4 cars at the house since 2015. Tires start to be a big cost. These BFG Advantage ta sports will be replaced by another set when the time comes. I do really like the tire. And I have not purchased the same tire more than twice for my Subarus. So Id say BFG has something right with this tire vs the OB.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the BFGs. Calling around, no one was overly stoked on them but no one had anything negative to say either. However, $378 delivered to my house and Costco charging $60 to mount them means I'll only be in them $440 out the door compared to $700ish for the other brands out.

Now, one very critical component is how do I find a shop that does an excellent job at alignment? Costco, Discount Tire, etc don't do alignments here but Tires Plus, Tire Kingdom and some other chains do but how do I know that their equipment and technicians are top notch? From some of the comments in my other post it sounds like I should not trust the dealer to align it or is that not true?

I've never spent so many hours researching tires but I've also never had a vehicle that was this finicky so I want to get it done right so I can put this behind me and hopefully stop hating this car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts