Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking to buy my second OB (currently own 2005 2.5i). I am looking at both a 2009 XT 2.5i Limited w/ 38k miles vs a 2011 2.5i Premium with 13k miles. Price is almost identical.

I suppose i am at somewhat of a transitional time in my life. I love camping, snowboarding, surfing, music...all things that make me lean towards the loaded 2009 (paddle shifters!). The other side of the coin is that i am getting married soon and will likely be having kids shortly thereafter...which makes me lean towards the larger, more fuel efficient 2011 with less awesome features.

Just curious what your thoughts are on the two models given my variety of needs/desires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
I would lean towards the 2011 based on a few factors:
-Lower mileage
-Doesn't need premium gas (premium here runs at least $.20 more per gallon but it might be cheaper in your area)
-Better fuel mileage
-More interior space and legroom (a huge plus for my long legs)
-Probably better financing rates available (may or may not be applicable to you)
-I'm guessing insurance would be cheaper but I could be wrong
-More simple so hopefully it would mitigate repair expenses
-Warranty coverage

The turbo model does have a few things going for it since it would be a funner car. If I was younger, I would probably lean towards it. Plus, you would get more creature comforts with it being a limited model.

Overall, I* would still go with the 2011 with all things considered.

*This is just my opinion of what I would do. It's your money so you can buy either one and it wouldn't bother me one bit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you're taller than 5'8" and plan on having kids, go with the 2011. Car seats will fit MUCH better in the 11.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! I am 6'3" and have gotten somewhat used to not having quite enough legroom in my 05...but the thought of being able to stretch out in the 11 might have just pushed me over the edge...time to test drive!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
if you do all that stuff and getting married and kids...whatever has more space is going to lead in function and practicality. every inch of space helps when traveling with more people and then adding strollers, pack in plays, kids stuff, etc. juggling a kid or two in a parking lot with bags and strollers is not fun. it's much nicer to toss the stroller in the back of a large wagon than wiggle it in a smaller hatch/trunk.

but - you can always add a hitch and cargo carrier too if you're down with that for additional space.

the 2009 EJ25 still has headgasket issues, the 2010 Legacy/OB's get the far better, updated EJ25 headgasket. the 2011 Legacy though gets the new FB motor which on the surface looks like a good motor but it is still an unproven first year engine. in hindsight Subaru's motors are so good, with the exception of the EJ25 headgasket issue, that might not really indicate much risk....i'm not saying i put a ton of stake in it but it is often suggested to avoid "first year" motors as a general rule.

a 2010 Legacy is the best bet hands down mechanically as it has the proven EJ25 with the better headgasket. it's sort of a "one year" motor for the legacy, kind of strange, but that's not on your list anyway.

if you go with the 2009 - make sure the headgaskets are not currently showing ANY signs of oil leaks as the 2005-2009 headgaskets generally get worse more quickly than the earlier 2000-2004 models.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I am 6'3" and have gotten somewhat used to not having quite enough legroom in my 05...but the thought of being able to stretch out in the 11 might have just pushed me over the edge...time to test drive!
We are the same height. The 2011 will seem amazing to you for legroom.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the 2009 EJ25 still has headgasket issues, the 2010 Legacy/OB's get the far better, updated EJ25 headgasket. the 2011 Legacy though gets the new FB motor which on the surface looks like a good motor but it is still an unproven first year engine. in hindsight Subaru's motors are so good, with the exception of the EJ25 headgasket issue, that might not really indicate much risk....i'm not saying i put a ton of stake in it but it is often suggested to avoid "first year" motors as a general rule.

a 2010 Legacy is the best bet hands down mechanically as it has the proven EJ25 with the better headgasket. it's sort of a "one year" motor for the legacy, kind of strange, but that's not on your list anyway.
I think you meant that the Forester got the new FB25 engine in 2011. The Legacy and Outback is only now getting that engine for the 2013 model year.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT, DDM HID 5000K, K&N, Yokohama Avid TRZ, Curt Hitch, Subaru All Weather Mats, Sirius
68 Posts
If I recall most of the headgasket concerns are for the 2.5L non turbo only engines. The turbos have a slightly different block (semi-closed deck vs open deck) with better re-enforcement and shows alot fewer head gasket fails.

I've currently got an '08 outback 2.5XT. It's tons of fun but if I were in your spot I'd grab the newer 2011. While the turbo is fun the car itself is far from a sports car and you will likely find you can drive to 2011 2.5 just as hard as the 2.5 XT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts